Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Electrical issue with ignition barrell

Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Electrical issue with ignition barrell

Post by Pugzilla on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 9:57 pm

Hey again,
My CB500 has some issues that are annoying me. It's a 2001 CB500S with about 34,500 miles.

First one is that sometimes I need to wiggle the key a bit in the ignition switch to get electrical power even when it's it in the On position. Power can cut out randomly when idling. Thought it was some moisture, tried WD40 into the ignition, but it still persists.

Anyone have advice regarding what else I could try?

Cheers
Jameshambleton

Re: Electrical issue with ignition barrell

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 5:32 pm

Remove the top yoke and the cap on the bottom of the ignition and check the wires sounds like one may have a poor connection to the ignition barrel itself.

Side note: only the drum models have a removable ignition, the disc model uses sheer bolts so the ignition cannot be removed from the top yoke.
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Pugzilla on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 10:23 pm

I hear a click coming somewhere from near the tank and seat when I manage to get electrical power. Is that normal?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 10:30 pm

Thats starter relay clicking,i say your battery mite need a go a battery charger... ive had that problem on my old fireblade.(ignition).. its corrosion... some times can be like a green type of corrosion from bike being left up
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Pugzilla on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 10:43 pm

Haven't been using the bike that much over the past year. If I take it for a couple of hours riding, will that charge up the battery enough?

Battery itself is about 3 years old.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 11:02 pm

To be honest if you get 3/4yrs out of a battery your doing well .ive a optimate 4 battery charge i use on my bikes. If you ride bike dont use headlights on give battery chance to charge... i also look at starter relay... it was really bad on my 23k cb500s ...it was so corroded it was stoping battery charging!  Cb 500s have had loads elec problems with as it was left for over 7yrs not started... no such problems with my regular used 53k cb500v
Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Pugzilla on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 11:26 pm

Would a battery/starter relay problem have anything to do with the ignition switch not working correctly?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 12:43 am

No...but it was affecting charging voltage...at 5k rpm...voltage stayed at 12.5v... when i cleaned contacts on starter relay...it went back up to 14.5v which is charging battery......u wil have to clean connections in loom...start with starter relay. As for ignition.. i  take off head light see what connections are like there. Also do as james says take off top yoke have look at connection there too maybe first.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 16 Dec 2018, 4:57 pm