You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Flasher relay problems

louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Flasher relay problems

Post by louis_sutton on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 12:17 pm

Hi all,

Just after a sense check that I've not missed anything. I've got bike it mini indicators on my bike on the lhs, standard on the rhs. They've started flashing erratically on the lhs. Standard rate at idle, any lift in revs and the flash interval is a lot faster. 

I've cleaned the switch. I've checked the wiring, decent voltage to the relay, continuity to earth. 

By my guess it's time for a new relay-either a round aftermarket replacement which will need slight fitting, or a used square one (or chuck whatever the cost is at ling's or cmsnl for an oem).

Anyone reckon I've missed anything? My daily commute is a round trip of three hours, a roads and a chunk of the city. Might well be time for a new battery (three year old motobatt), but I'm not yet convinced of that.

Cheers!
Jameshambleton

Re: Flasher relay problems

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 12:37 pm

What's the wattage on the mini bulbs? A different wattage causes a different flash rate
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 12:58 pm

Cheers James, they're 23w, which I understood from various threads on here would be fine (unless there's an imbalance because I'm using 21w on the other side). It's not a massive deal at present but I want it fixed
Baddi
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Baddi on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 4:21 pm

I just installed this relay (updated link) as I want to have LED blinkers all around and have the same issue: Steady rate at idle but blinks faster when the voltage increases as the rpm makes the generator make power. 

It only has 2 wires instead of 3 as the original did and it blinks the same no matter the wattage of the blinkers as I already have LED blinkers at the rear which has resistors but one of them had the wire to the resistor break, making it blink faster with the original relay.

Last edited by Baddi on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 4:55 pm

Thanks Baddi, sadly that link won't work, but that might be a useful way for me to go. Did it wire in ok?
Baddi
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Baddi on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 5:16 pm

@louis_sutton wrote:Thanks Baddi, sadly that link won't work, but that might be a useful way for me to go. Did it wire in ok?

I've updated the link (also link here). Yes, it was plug and play but as said, it blinks a bit faster when rpm are above 3000.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Oct 2018, 11:04 pm