You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

RGV250 vs. CB500

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

RGV250 vs. CB500

Post by trevor machine on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 9:40 am

Eh up everyone. Having neglected my 500 this year (in favour of my 2000 "Nineja," as I call it), the CB was way overdue a run out. So against my better judgement I set out for Squires last night. Just east of Leeds, Squires is a busy biking destination (Wednesday night is easily the maddest of the week btw). 

Anyway, I've often wondered how the CB500 would fair against one of those great little 250 two strokes of the late 1980s (the TZR, KRS, RGV, etc.). Last night I got a little bit of an idea, because I followed an RGV from Sherburn down to Squires. I say "followed" - I actually got annihilated and left for dead. It didn't help that I'm not fast - but even so. The Suzuki was being well ridden. 

I appreciate most of you reading this won't know the route/locale etc., but you drop down out of Sherburn village, then there's a slight elevation, straddled by a weird little blind chicane - it's an exciting bit of road, but a tricksy one. I can maybe hold 60 over it - anything more takes a bit of nerve and skill imo. The RGV rider made 60 look pretty sedate - that's when I knew he was an accomplished rider. The next section is snaky, but - apart from the final left hander - it's all visible, although a little narrow. I can carry 75-80 through it. He was gone. It was actually a joy to watch - not that I managed to see much of it, mind you. He did get held up by a van for a little bit, but managed to get round it before descending to tackle the railway bridge (always dicey on a Wednesday night and the site of one fatality already this season). 

I managed to get a decent look at the bike once in Squires - it was lovely. A really good example, but the front end was obviously not original. Iirc it was on usd forks for one thing, and I'm pretty sure they were wider diameter than the originals would've been. No doubt this improved handling and steering - but it'd have to be properly fitted and adjusted - and judging by how beautifully fast and composed it looked, it had been.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: RGV250 vs. CB500

Post by Beresford on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 9:53 am

Will it do 250,000 miles between engine rebuilds? 
Fair Weather Rider
the 800
the 800

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 10:19 am

My Son had the RGV250 and he loved it, nothing could touch him on the twisty's, he left them all for dead, but with a top speed of about 110, they passed him on the straights, but he was back underneath them on the next set of bends.
Still got his old cylinder barrels in the shed, no it would not do 250,000 between rebuilds.

Great bike, but I am biased, I love strokers.
gotch
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by gotch on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 11:15 am

had a lot of strokers in my yoof,loved them,i was an expert at rebuilds and was a favorite customer at the rebore n crank rebuild shop local to me.

if a bike is nimble itll always munch sportbikes through the twisties so its not really an open comparison,i can take a trailie and do the same,this little honda cb i have now will eat sports through the lanes imo.

the tz's etc were quick but their chassis wasnt designed for potholed lanes and ill only get beaten by a rider of one if he knows the road better than i,and of course if his motor doesnt seize.the main problem then is not smashing into him Sad(always follow in unfamiliar lanes,let them find the tractors and horse riders)

my lc500 would seize its gearbox everytime i thrashed it for more than 20mins,there were many fag breaks waiting for it to cool and unseize so i could get home,never ending it was..but by christ THAT powerband was worth it.and i still love that smell.

its just horses for courses,go with what you feel happier with,theres no such thing as overall better,theres only "on the day",and every day is different Wink
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 11:37 am

If you're feeling brave you can do those s bends at 80 but not worth the risk with all the undercover coppers around there
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 12:51 pm

Pretty sure I could never do that humped chicaney thing at 80! Not sure I'd even attempt 70! It's not the cops that worry me so much as the driveway to those properties on the left just after the bends, or conversely, the unpaved lane that joins the bends on the way back to Sherburn. Both are totally obscured from view until you've come over the top. Such a shame cos as I said it's a really interesting feature, and one I always enjoy. Pretty sure the guy on the rgv was up near 80 over it last night though. ; - )

In fact, I just noticed that on the current google maps street view, it's captured a big lorry just about to pull out of that unmade lane - you can see it peeping out there on the left opposite the red car that's also in view. If I was carrying 80 over the top I'm not sure how I'd avoid that wagon if it pulled out. If I had the presence of mind, I suppose I'd try bailing off the back of the bike. But tbh, even at 60 I think I'd be toast. NB I'm not being preachy in any of this - I always take it at 60 or thereabouts, and feel like a cop-out if I don't lol. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7913592,-1.2751649,3a,75y,71.75h,66.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-PJFHxxqoymSEQ2UZRwDkw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
gotch
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by gotch on Tue 19 Jun 2018, 11:52 am

just thought id add a note,seems my grinding footpegs werent,was scraping my boots but being followed by a mate whos informed me that on right handers my centre stand is sagging and its that, not the strangely untouched peg bolts.

nothing like an old fool Sad

new spring going on today,wierd cos it flicks up and seems normal to me,wondering if theres a spacer missing possibly,not used to bikes with mainstands i must admit 

good find though as it means i can probably get her over more,didnt feel that much to me

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 16 Jul 2018, 3:59 am