You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Cruise control

TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Solved Cruise control

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 12 Jun 2018, 10:58 pm

So I've got cruise control again.

Twist the throttle and it sticks as the grip is right up against the end weight. The weights are in schitt state and David Silver charges 22 quid each so I bought some oxford ones at halfords. I knew at the time I'd regret that. Waste of fifteen quid. 

I messed about with the Oxford ones and then thought better of it and replaced the originals. Then I started thinking is it the throttle cables? They should be renewed really but they snap back when the grip is pulled back clear from the end weight. I moved the mount with kill switch etc, don't know what it's called, to see if I could shift the grip the other way. It did but just slides back to what must be a stop or something. 

Should I trim the grip with a stanley knife? I've loosened the weight too and it leaves some room but it just wobbles about. I meant to measure the clutch grip to see what length it is to see if the throttle has stretched over the years. Maybe new grips?

I was looking at lings parts earlier today to check some sizes for bolts etc. you could spend a fortune, couldn't you? I'd love to just add to basket a ton of stuff but so much is unavailable.  

Any one else dealt with this?

Last edited by TheWizardofOdds on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Solved Re: Cruise control

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 1:52 pm

Just noticed,  my forum bike avatar has gone to the 800. No rear handle either , I like it!

What's the 800 again? Or 900 for that matter.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 4:52 pm

If you take the bar end weight off that should let you test if the throttle tube is catching it. Whenever I've gained cruise control, it's been caused by the throttle close cable snapping or the cables needed adjusting. Touch wood I've never had a throttle open cable snap, but two throttle close cables have gone over the years.
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 6:24 pm

@teamster1975 wrote:If you take the bar end weight off that should let you test if the throttle tube is catching it. Whenever I've gained cruise control, it's been caused by the throttle close cable snapping or the cables needed adjusting. Touch wood I've never had a throttle open cable snap, but two throttle close cables have gone over the years.
Solved. Just butchered it. Original grips, same length, oem  handlebar, cables fine, who knows? It was dangerous, didn't want to cut the grip but had no option. Thanks for your suggestion.

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 9:18 pm

I've had it - get it all the time on the KLX because of the way the handguards fit. It's a real PITA. 

Then, when I crashed the CB - totally unrelated to any throttle shenanigans - I had to replace the bars. Stupidly didn't get OEM ones, so then the weights didn't work. In the end I just did away with them altogether and fitted grips with closed ends. Never really been able to tell any difference tbh.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 11:45 pm

I was going to suggest that you trimmed the rubber and/or which ever bit is sticking; but you got there first!

It is worth having a quick eyeball at both opening and closing cables next time you take the tank off... not just at the inner-cable but also the outers. On my bike the outers had started the rust (they were 20yrs old) and eventually the throttle opening cable snapped - not nice or recommended.
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 3:51 pm

@trevor machine wrote:I've had it - get it all the time on the KLX because of the way the handguards fit. It's a real PITA. 

Then, when I crashed the CB - totally unrelated to any throttle shenanigans - I had to replace the bars. Stupidly didn't get OEM ones, so then the weights didn't work. In the end I just did away with them altogether and fitted grips with closed ends. Never really been able to tell any difference tbh.
Deffo PITA. Thought I'd fixed it ages ago but happened again, sorted now but untidy.

Yeah, considering changing bars but might be a bit of a carry on.
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 3:54 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:I was going to suggest that you trimmed the rubber and/or which ever bit is sticking; but you got there first!

It is worth having a quick eyeball at both opening and closing cables next time you take the tank off... not just at the inner-cable but also the outers.  On my bike the outers had started the rust (they were 20yrs old) and eventually the throttle opening cable snapped - not nice or recommended.

Yip. I think it's time for new cables actually. I think venhill? make good ones or maybe it was brake cables I saw there. 

I've got a feeling all mine are nearly twenty years old so they have served admirably!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 17 Nov 2018, 11:20 pm