You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

[solved]Fuel tank drain hole

bilbro

Solved [solved]Fuel tank drain hole

Post by bilbro on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 9:15 am

Hi
Hope you are enjoying the great riding weather we have been having recently. cheers 

I live in north Germany and a few days of thunderstorms gave my two uncovered bikes a good soaking. On opening the fuel cap to check the level i noticed water had collected  between fuel cap and filler hole but luckily not inside where the petrol was. There is a drain hole on the left of the hole but it seems to be blocked. I tried to clear it by wiggling an old fat Bass guitar string down the hole but after about 30cms came to an obstruction or a bend in the pipe. The rain water still hasn't drained out.

Have you had this problem and can you help me sort it please?
Thanks
bilbro
Jameshambleton

Solved Re: [solved]Fuel tank drain hole

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 12:06 pm

Try checking the rubber hoses on the underside of the tank or where they all meet on the offside swingarm where the exhaust link pipe is
bilbro

Post by bilbro on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 3:18 pm

hello James thanks for the advise, i assume that i have to lift the tank up of or take it off?
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 9:06 pm

If you look under your bike, somewhere in front of the rear wheel there should be a bunch of rubber hoses pointing to the ground. One of those should be drain from the fuel tank. Try unblocking from there. If that fails, you could try removing the tank and detaching the drain hose from the bottom of the tank and try unblocking from both the top of the hose and the from where the hose connects to the tank. Also once you detached the hose you can easily test whether the blockage is in the tank part or the hose part if that that makes sense.
bilbro

Post by bilbro on Tue 12 Jun 2018, 5:06 pm

Hi Ceejay,
thanks for the tip. I will try this as soon as it stops effing raining here. Sad
bilbro

Solved Fuel tank drain hole

Post by bilbro on Wed 27 Jun 2018, 2:26 pm

Hi Guys,

thank you for your suggestions to the blockage. I have an old thick Bass guitar string which was perfect for shoving down the hole and up the tubes. After I unbolted the tank at the seat end I lifted the tank and propped it up with an empty beer can. I disconnected the tube from the underside of tank and there was no blockage. however, after following the route of the tube I noticed it had a 90 degree bend in it! AHA!
A bit of jiggery pokery later the collected rain water and gunk came out the end of the tube and just to be sure the bass guitar was shoved through just ta make sure it was 100% clear.
After reflecting how the bend came to be in the pipe, I remembered replacing the tank just after I bought the bike because it was rusty inside and was leaking. I took the bike to the garage to have this done as I was not sure If I could do it myself with the tools I had. The "Mechanic" must have been pissed when he changed the tank for me.
So much for German Mechanics.... Rolling Eyes 

Thanks again guys, keep yer revs up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 15 Nov 2018, 10:26 am