You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Temperature for fan enagement

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Temperature for fan enagement

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 7:49 pm

Hi Everybody,

Quick question for my own sanity! My fan stopped working with the thermo switch in the radiator. Some quick testing lead to a replacement fan switch. The new one, which is a genuine 'made in Japan' Tourmax, which I believe is the OEM maker, arrived and I fitted it. The fan now doesn't kick in until the temp gauge is way up near 3/4 or 7/8. When it does kick in it only does so until it comes down to about 5/8 up the gauge.

I am right in thinking that's waaaay to high. All my previous non branded £3 fan switches kicked in under half way and stayed on until the gauge was down to about 1/4. I am much more comfortable with that so I want to see what everyone else's fans are doing. 

Luckily with this heat I have an additional manual fan switch but it's very easy to forget when filtering through heavy traffic.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Re: Temperature for fan enagement

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 7:52 pm

P.S. The Tourmax on temperature is 82 degree's Celsius which is actually supposed to be 3 degrees lower that the cheapo switch I took off.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 9:20 pm

Mine use to get halfway up the gauge before coming on think mine 80c on... I've got a short on my fan as the fuse keeps blowing so you know...
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 8:03 pm

For anyone who is interested. Turns out the Tourmax switch was miles off base and it wasn't me or the gauge being stupid. I replaced with a Wemoto one which now cuts in way to early! It didn't have an on temp marking on the body which made me a bit sceptical. At least too early is much better than too late. Just means my fan will pretty much be on all the time in this weather.

I guess if you want an accurate fan switch, best bet is to buy 3 super cheapo ones and test them for yourself on the bike. Still cheaper than the £45 Tourmax and £30 Wemoto part!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 Aug 2018, 11:54 pm