You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

upgrade to brembo 4 pot brake caliper

otley77

upgrade to brembo 4 pot brake caliper

Post by otley77 on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 10:40 am

morning all,
has anyone upgraded the front brake on a CB5 to a brembo 4 pot caliper? the P4 caliper ( i think..) is common on ebay because many ducati's had that caliper. i'm thinking a 4-pot caliper, a mounting bracket to suit caliper bolt spacing on a CB5 fork leg, a disc, i think 320mm and maybe the existing master cylinder......
anybody done something similar?
gotch
Squiddy
Squiddy

Re: upgrade to brembo 4 pot brake caliper

Post by gotch on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 9:02 pm

tbh i cant imagine having more brake bite,mine is lethal already
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 9:06 pm

Yeah mine is perfectly fine on brake pads from '99 disc too and a brake fluid change about 9 years ago judging by the colour.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 8:06 pm

My front brake is really not very good. Had the calliper professionally rebuilt, new Brembo disk and EBC pads with a braided hose and rebuilt the master cylinder. It stops the bike alright but takes a massive amount of lever force to do so. I had a new 2018 CB500 on loan for a day, and whilst I wouldn't swap mine for a new one, the front brake on the new bike was amazing. Thats the part of that new bike that I really coveted most!
gotch
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by gotch on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 8:25 pm

slight tap of two fingers n im almost doing a stoppy on mine,is taking me a while to get hang if it tbh,waay more bite than my africa had,even my blackbird had as well come to think of it.

must be something amiss with yours.

mind ive no idea if mines standard tbh,looks standard.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 8:31 pm

My front brake is spongy also - even with different calipers and mastercylinders.. @wornsprockets is dead sharp as soon as you touch it it wants you stopped.. both bikes have the brembo setup so god knows...
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 3:48 pm

Good riding skills, reading the road etc...means less time on brakes. I grabbed a handful of front on my sv and paid for it. My fault of course. The engine braking on the sv is probably its best feature in my eyes. While doing some overtaking on A roads recently I've had to use brakes to skip in and out of spots on the CB.  I use mainly front for that as the engine braking isn't ebough on cb. Should I use both or what? ...sorry to digress OP.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 5:28 pm

Two fingers on mine is not an option! I wondered if it was anything to do with the banjo bolt not aligning completely with the banjo union. I have been informed on here that 1 washer, then the union, then another washer is correct so can't be sure why mine takes a major handful of lever to get it to stop sharply. It is plenty firm, just requires a lot of force.
gotch
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by gotch on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 6:17 pm

i wonder if theres film of something on the disc perhaps?.

maybe clean it completely with something that doesnt leave residue,electrical contact cleaner perhaps,and then take some gritpaper to the pads and then try it.

i always have two fingers over my lever when theres others about,its a first rule for me,even though the africa was good at first twitch brake it used to fade very quickly after,this cb is trying to eject me if i dont remember lol.i must look a right clown in traffic.

getting hang of her now though,moved/raised bars today n changed lever positions to point down more and took off the mirror extentions etc,much better now.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 16 Jun 2018, 11:11 am

I have the brembo setup and don't have any problems - no spongiesness and you don't need to use excessive force on the lever. It is worth remember that the limiting factor is often the grip of the tyres with the road, so the brakes only have to be good enough to lock the wheel...

Different bikes will have different 'feels' because of the differing hydraulic force ratios (essentially differing amounts of leverage/force-advantage between the lever and the brake pads). This can be adjusted by swapping the master cylinder for one with a different bore (and hence a different cross-sectional area).

Sometimes bikes with brakes that feel 'sharp' are a bad thing - as soon as you start to use the brake in anger you end up locking the wheel unexpectedly.

If you are really concerned about the performance of the brake then find a bit of flat, dry road in the middle of nowhere (with no traffic) and do a brake test at 20 or 30 mph (i.e. slow) and see how quickly you can stop the bike from a constant speed - obviously don't *ram* on the brakes on the first attempt or you might fall off - after a few attempts you will find (hopefully) that you can stop the bike pretty quickly. You might even get the front wheel to lock briefly - this will give you an idea of the maximum braking that is available (irrespective of the brake system).

The other thing to mention is the front suspension - sagging fork springs and knackered (or missing) fork oil won't help your breaking, so you should at least change the fork oil if nothing else (it will make the suspension perform better anyway).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 Aug 2018, 11:54 pm