You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Clutch chatter

cbcombo
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Clutch chatter

Post by cbcombo on Thu 31 May 2018, 10:33 am

Me again Rolling Eyes first startup last night (97000 miles) and we have clutch chatter. Is this a basket change or are there other possibilities? of course its filled with fresh oil and i hate trying to keep this clean when removing. Thanks
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Re: Clutch chatter

Post by ANDYC on Thu 31 May 2018, 2:39 pm

Am I right in believing that you're pulling a sidecar too?
If so that may be the reason, maybe heavier springs would help.
cbcombo
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by cbcombo on Thu 31 May 2018, 4:26 pm

Not got that far yet ANDYC Shocked its a worn basket i think as its  on tick-over and disengaging the clutch silences it.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Thu 31 May 2018, 4:44 pm

Unfortunately the rattle is a known thing, I'm experimenting at the moment with alternatives.
Check out my track bike project thread and it will make sense. I think I put up a thread on the worn clutch issues a while back, I'll see if I can find it.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Thu 31 May 2018, 4:50 pm

http://www.cb500club.net/t5133p25-clutch-issues

This is the one, hopefully the link will work.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Thu 31 May 2018, 4:53 pm

Is it chatter when pulling away or just a rattle at idle in neutral?
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Thu 31 May 2018, 6:55 pm

Hi, may I add my two penn'orth? When I bought my CB last Sept. the clutch rattled like f**k in neutral at tickover. I saw a fix on youtube whereby you bang thick washers behind the cush drive springs (which in my case were very loose) and put a blob of weld (or as I practice pigeon shite) to hold them in. The trick reduced my rattle but it's still there a little scratch but it goes when I pull the cluth  and the engine goes nice and "bouncy" if you know what i mean. The cluth plates don't seem to have too much play in the basket, I think maybe the odd firing moment of the 180° engine makes it seem worse. I just ride it now and say "sod it" it's only annoying at tickover!
Don't fix what's not wrong!
Dave
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 7:24 pm

In my experience most CB500s make that 'basket-rattle' noise. AFAIK no one has had a problem with it yet. So I wouldn't put it on the top of my list to fix, unless it really annoys you. If you are going to try and fix it you might as well wait until the clutch plates need doing...
cbcombo
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by cbcombo on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 10:48 am

@eternally_troubled wrote:In my experience most CB500s make that 'basket-rattle' noise.  AFAIK no one has had a problem with it yet.  So I wouldn't put it on the top of my list to fix, unless it really annoys you.  If you are going to try and fix it you might as well wait until the clutch plates need doing...
Yes this is what im intending i just like to get to know the traits of any bike i have.
As ANDYC commented i may have to use heavy duty springs pulling a sidecar. Thanks for the input everyone.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Oct 2018, 11:09 pm