Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Rear tyre change

fgclark123
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Rear tyre change

Post by fgclark123 on Fri 25 May 2018, 3:01 pm

I'm due a rear tyre change. What do you think, is this something you could tackle at home? What kind of tools/expertise are needed? I suspect it's beyond casual maintenance tasks, but any thoughts? cheers
Jameshambleton

Re: Rear tyre change

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 25 May 2018, 4:37 pm

Massive tyre irons are needed and it's a massive farthing about trying to break the bead, for the cost of £12 I get them fitted and balanced. Remember that tyres are classed as commercial waste so you'll have to pay to get rid of the old one.

It took two people jumping on a spade (simultaneously) to break the bead on one of his wheels and we were at it for over an hour.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 26 May 2018, 5:47 pm

Yes you can do it at home. It's much easier to use a second class lever to break the bead - i.e. a bit of timber with the end trapped under something heavy (like a car) and a little bit of wood to press down the bead - you press down on the end of the lever and hey presto.

The use of the tyre irons/levers and manipulation of the tyre is a skill - I haven't cracked it (i.e. I still sweat buckets and swear at the tyres!) but it isn't just about brute force (although some is quite handy).

If you want to buy tyre changing stand and one of those special levers with a plastic end you can do it quite easily (a little more expensive though).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 17 Dec 2018, 10:12 am