You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Oil smells petrolly

spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Oil smells petrolly

Post by spanner monkey on Thu 24 May 2018, 2:17 pm

Hi all, 

I’m about to change the oil, but it smells a bit petrolly. Is is a rich mixture or a bit of blow by ? 

The bike had sat for a few months over winter. It’s done about 36k miles and there’s no knocks noises smokeOr rattles ( aside from cam chain )  etc so don’t think I have a rings issue. How else does fuel get into the oil ? 

It’s a 2002 model

Cheers in advance
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Re: Oil smells petrolly

Post by GollyGosh on Fri 25 May 2018, 1:47 pm

Did you leave the fuel tap in the 'on' position over winter?

There was a post on here where the sump was full of petrol/oil which I've looked for but can't find.  It happened due to a faulty fuel tap that stayed open when the engine was off combined with it being left in the 'on' position when not used for a while.

I can't remember the details but once diagnosed it was sorted OK.

I'm no expert but if it just a smell rather than a lot of petrol then maybe a flush before changing the oil and filter will be enough.  That and using the fuel stop cock on a regular basis

Hopefully someone on here can point you in the right direction or give more precise advice.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 25 May 2018, 2:22 pm

drain the carbs, and leave the fuel tap on. if you still get flow then the fuel tap needs servicing but also it's worth checking to see if any of the floats are stuck.
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Fri 25 May 2018, 3:46 pm

Thanks both,

I am going to be stripping the engine down for a proper clean And check over anyway so I’ll get the carbs cleaned and balanced at the same time and look at the fuel tap. Yes I always leave the tap on so I’m thinking that I should probably  turn it off over winter, and that’ll solve the issue. THe bike runs absolutely fine anyway, I did think it would be just a minor problem. I’m just smelling the oil on the dip stick rather than anything and it is quite thin even when cold. I used Castrol 10w30, it feels and looks a lot thinner than when it was fresh in there.

Cheers

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 25 May 2018, 11:43 pm

At 19,000 miles, I did an oil change a couple of weeks ago, and that smelt petroly too. No other adverse running effects Maybe they all just do that!
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Fri 25 May 2018, 11:47 pm

Well I’ve changed the oil about 6 times on this bike once every year since I got it and it’s never smelt like it before. Must be carbs or fuel tap I guess
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 26 May 2018, 5:25 pm

Turning off the fuel tap won't necessary stop this happening: if the tap is buggered then it can leak in any position!

You need to test two things - that the tap doesn't let any petrol through when 'off' (obviously) and also that it doesn't let any through when set to 'on' or 'res' unless you suck the vacuum pipe (i.e. check that the vacuum fuel stop works).
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Sat 26 May 2018, 7:21 pm

eternally_troubled - Cheers I will test it out. As it happens my bike just sprung a leak and I have pretty much dumped all the oil on the english country roads. LOL. The oil filter has a pin hole, so someone is telling me to change the oil in many ways I think. Anyway, gonna check the tap and renew as necessary. Thanks 
Rich
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 27 May 2018, 9:45 am

That oil filter is a bit exposed - both to rusting and to stones!

Anyway, what I was going to say was this: If you get a lot of petrol into the oil then you can tell easily as it kind of 'floats' on top of the oil - if you drain the oil into a bowl it is quite obvious.

You can't do this, so all you can check is that the tap works!
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Sun 27 May 2018, 10:11 am

Yeah I think That filter was very corroded. There isn’t much to protect them aside from constant cleaning and to be fair I used the bike much more last year without giving it a constant clean so not surprised. As for the oil it probably is the tap, normally change the oil annually, and usually just as expected but this time very thin. I assume I can get a rebuild kit anyway.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 27 May 2018, 10:21 am

Wemoto do one:

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cb_500_v/97-98/picture/fuel_tap_repair_kit

Don't know how good it is - thankfully I haven't needed it!
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Sun 27 May 2018, 11:08 am

Thanks for the link, I just mailed David Silver spares but this saves a bit of digging around

This is so annoying, last week I was out and the bloody chain snapped, had to recover it home, this week bloody oil leak - thankfully a simple one, and had to limp it home,

Just replaced both front indicator stalks as well and a mirror, so hope that’s all the dramas before summer really kicks in. I’ll give her a good look over for anything else, but should be fine now,

Cheers for your help,

Rich
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 28 May 2018, 9:27 am

@spanner monkey wrote:This is so annoying, last week I was out and the bloody chain snapped, had to recover it home, this week bloody oil leak - thankfully a simple one, and had to limp it home

Chain snapped!? That's not good... did it look like it was on the way out before hand?
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Mon 28 May 2018, 1:36 pm

No not a good at all it was fine visually and it was quite a recent fit, so assume a bit cheap. Possibly just a bad link. It came apart at one of the main links not on the connector.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Sep 2018, 6:37 am