You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Spring appraisal...rebuild or move on.

TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Spring appraisal...rebuild or move on.

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 23 May 2018, 2:46 pm

Hi all.

Being very naughty over the winter I left my cb500s neglected in the garage. I've got a trickle charger and didnt charge up the battery so it needed coaxing when I opened the garage door last week. Both the sv650s and cb let me know what happens when you do that. 

Finally, I have both bikes running and in dire need of servicing and fettling. Looking at the CB it looks so desperately in need of tlc. Discs and pads renewal all over plus brake hoses and brake fluid. The swingarm is rusty so is the yoke? ...The part the forks attach to etc. Chain's ancient, sprockets too, all hoses for radiator etc. need renewed. Ultimately with fresh oil it's good to go but really, it's time. I've noticed oil seeping from the forks seals, which were new on last year, no fork service, just visible seal on forks.  What's happened there, any ideas?

Initially I thought to keep the sv as it's in way better condition and sell the CB. Then I thought about completely going over the CB while having the sv to enjoy riding this summer. Thing is, I've never done any maintenance except for oil changes. If I take the CB apart it may never go back together again.  Not being negative, it's a big job for a novice. Should I just crack on with one job at a time? Or take it off the road and strip it? Has anyone else on here with little mechanical experience done this?

Also, I think I'll need more than the haynes if I keep it and tackle the bike.  I see papercopy service manuals for the cb500r. Are there any workshop manuals for a 99 500s? If not is the R manual worth buying?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Spring appraisal...rebuild or move on.

Post by Beresford on Wed 23 May 2018, 3:40 pm

I would say that unless you get a real pleasure from working on the bike, leave it alone, because there is a real danger of ending up with just a heap of sad second hand parts and no enthusiasm to do anything about putting them back together.

At least a complete bike in need of TLC has some value.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 23 May 2018, 6:48 pm

My cb500s fork seals were leaking bad after only one years after replacing them... i used a seal mate and 5wks on stil not leaking:)
i agree with beresford...ive two cb 500's both rusty well used cb500 v with 53k and cb500sy with 23k...both mechanically good but both bit tatty
davecb5002
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by davecb5002 on Wed 23 May 2018, 7:33 pm

Just tackle one job at a time, take it slowly and read up on what you intend doing. Do not go stripping it down to loads of bits. It gives a lot of satisfaction  and when you have got one bit completed, however small, try the next one. Well worth it with the CB500. Happy spanering Smile Smile
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 23 May 2018, 9:02 pm

Thanks all, 

I've seen the seal mate, might be worth a tenner. 

I think the only way for me will be small jobs as mentioned. I'll start off with the pads, and replacing rusty bolts etc there's a load of them. 

Any ideas about the workshop/service manual?
tt fan
Godly
Godly

Post by tt fan on Thu 24 May 2018, 12:31 am

On the plus side the CB's are fairly simple to work on and parts are plentiful and relatively cheap.
I agree with taking on one bit at a time rather than stripping it all down. What i would do though is try and check it over thoroughly and price the bigger jobs first. Decent chain and sprockets, and discs and pads you are already into a couple of hundred. Then battery? Fork seals cost about as much as a pint round here(!) but there's no point doing all the smaller and cosmetic jobs first and ignoring things like sprockets or discs. Good luck!
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Thu 24 May 2018, 9:56 pm

@tt fan wrote:On the plus side the CB's are fairly simple to work on and parts are plentiful and relatively cheap.
I agree with taking on one bit at a time rather than stripping it all down. What i would do though is try and check it over thoroughly and price the bigger jobs first. Decent chain and sprockets, and discs and pads you are already into a couple of hundred. Then battery? Fork seals cost about as much as a pint round here(!) but there's no point doing all the smaller and cosmetic jobs first and ignoring things like sprockets or discs. Good luck!

Thanks. Yeah it's a few bob for the discs and pads. The callipers will be due an overhaul too.  The battery's ok and the fork seals are new but are leaking while the bike hasnt been ridden? Weird.

I think I'll keep it sorned for a year and do small jobs, spread the cost. I'll probably sell next summer.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 26 May 2018, 5:21 pm

@davecb5002 wrote:Just tackle one job at a time, take it slowly and read up on what you intend doing. Do not go stripping it down to loads of bits. It gives a lot of satisfaction  and when you have got one bit completed, however small, try the next one. Well worth it with the CB500. Happy spanering :) :)

I would agree with this.

Also, don't worry too much about the cosmetic things at first, just get it ridable and reliable and then reassess. Not many CB500 are good looking any more...
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sun 27 May 2018, 12:07 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:
@davecb5002 wrote:Just tackle one job at a time, take it slowly and read up on what you intend doing. Do not go stripping it down to loads of bits. It gives a lot of satisfaction  and when you have got one bit completed, however small, try the next one. Well worth it with the CB500. Happy spanering Smile Smile

I would agree with this.

Also, don't worry too much about the cosmetic things at first, just get it ridable and reliable and then reassess.  Not many CB500 are good looking any more...

That's true.  I would be ashamed if I ever met anyone from on here though. There are some excellent bikes in lovely nick. Mine needs an overhaul but it is mechanically sound. In a tractor sort of way. I really think with some plagiarising of ideas from here it could look really good. 

While I think about it, are there any all black shocks or springs for the rear? I don't really like the chrome look so much? And any thoughts on the service manual?

Thanks, David .
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 28 May 2018, 9:46 am

I know that TEC shocks don't come in black (look here) but it might be worth sending them an email to see if they can do you a special.

I wouldn't worry that the only manual available is the 'R' model-year.  The only significant things that are different are the brakes and the swingarm.  If you also read the Haynes manual in conjunction with the official manual you will get the idea.

If you get stuck or have a question (even if you think it is 'dumb') then ask on the forum - quite a lot of us have attempted (or even succeeded in :) some servicing, so we've probably had the same problems and made the same mistakes.
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon 28 May 2018, 9:18 pm

I'm sure I saw all black ones once, I think they might have been ikon or something equally expensive. I'll try tec, they can only say no.

I wondered what was different with the R, as  opposed to the S. So, swingarm, brakes,  instruments. It's worth the money I think. I have the haynes.

I'll have lots of questions! I'm going to have a look at lings for parts as the mirror saga continues. I think I need to buy a spacer. Also, I tried to tighten the chain but the nut that is not the axle nut but on left hand side has been rounded and I'll  be damned m I cannot loosen the axle nut. I need a new one for the left. Off topic...Thanks all.
turista
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by turista on Tue 29 May 2018, 7:38 am

I bought ikon shocks and seached a lot, maybe the black ones are bitubo. Bitubo have great shocks, search on their page.
With ikon or bitubo there is no need to go wilbers
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 30 May 2018, 9:36 pm

I've just saw bitubo for first time today. £335+ wow. Love the look though. 

I think the ikon are even more? Do you notice a real difference with that kind of quality? My  shocks are done , really noticeable now. I think it was hagon I saw before, nice but didn't want the name or chrome band on black ones. Would love those bitubo.
turista
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by turista on Wed 30 May 2018, 10:26 pm

ikon are fine, much better than oem used. However I can not compare them with hagon or bitubo
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 31 May 2018, 8:25 am

Don't forget about YSS shocks
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Fri 01 Jun 2018, 10:58 am

Thanks. Yss are nice and around half price of bitubo I think, but damn, I've got those black ones on my mind!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 16 Jul 2018, 4:04 am