You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Starting trouble

garddun

Starting trouble

Post by garddun on Fri 18 May 2018, 1:53 pm

Hi all! I just bought a med CB 500, but I have some starting problems. Some times it starts, and some times it don't. I always turns over, but it doesn't "catch". Then, if I leave it for a day or two, it starts again... I can't figure out what's the problem. Does anyone have any idea?
Jameshambleton

Re: Starting trouble

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 18 May 2018, 10:45 pm

Sounds like the engine is flooding. You'll need to ideally clean up your plugs, if the bike has only really been started up and not properly ridden anywhere then give it a good 300km run. This will help to remove some of the carbon build up on the plugs as they'll then get upto proper temperature and start cleaning themselves. If the problem still persists after that then time to pull the plugs and see what they look like.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 19 May 2018, 9:32 am

Hello!

As James was saying it would be wise to start with the easy/cheap things like the plugs.

Given that it's a new bike (to you, anyway) if the plugs look at all worn I might well replace the plugs with new ones, just to rule them out of the problem (you can always clean and keep the old ones and use them later, if they prove not to be the problem).  

It is also worth having a look at the air filter to make sure it is clean and unobstructed.

Is the petrol fresh?  Always worth a shot... :)

I don't know what temperature it is where you are (are you in Norway?) but does applying the choke have any effect?

Does the problem only happen when starting from cold or when you try and re-start when the engine is warm?

Anyway, best of luck fixing the problem. Have you posted a picture of your bike on the forum? (this won't help it start be we are always interested...:)

garddun

Post by garddun on Sat 19 May 2018, 10:28 am

,thanks guys! I'll try the plugs first. Since its spring now, I can't imagine that the bike has been ridden for a long time.

The petrol is fresh, and I have tried with both choke and without. Last time I started it, it was cold, and it fired right up, then I turned if of, tried again, and nothing. I tried for almost an our, but it didn't work... I will post a picture soon, but it is dirty, so I need to clean it properly, and so on!
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sat 19 May 2018, 10:50 am

Drain and clean out the float bowls. Any debris that accumulates over the years from petrol in there just blocks the jets fresh fuel or not.
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Thu 24 May 2018, 2:33 pm

Have you had any luck with to mate and have you looked to see if you are getting a spark at both cylinder when it fails to start, might be worth having a look back as far as the ignition.
garddun

Post by garddun on Thu 24 May 2018, 6:26 pm

I tried to start it up two days ago, and it started right up! I let it run for a while, and tried to hear, smell, look and feel as much as possible.

After it started up, it had problems running without choke. Is sounds kinda "inconsistent" and had some "shots" fired out of the exhaust with some black smoke (not mush at all though).also the power when I'm driving is inconsistent in low rpm. I haven't had the time to take out the plugs and check them
spanner monkey
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by spanner monkey on Thu 24 May 2018, 7:28 pm

Sounds like it just needs a good route around.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 26 May 2018, 5:16 pm

I think a combination off all these things:

1. Cleaning/flushing the float bowls can't do any harm (other than to the float bowl gasket and you may be able to save that if you are lucky/careful).

2. Take it for a ride and see if it gets any better or (hopefully not) worse.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 17 Nov 2018, 11:08 pm