You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Chain / sprockets replacement question

fgclark123
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Chain / sprockets replacement question

Post by fgclark123 on Sat 12 May 2018, 11:17 pm

Hi all,

I popped the front sprocket cover last week, and saw a very shark finned front sprocket, but the rear is still in good shape.

Is it possible to just switch out the front sprocket - or is it recommended to swap all at once to ensure equal wear?

And... can anyone recommend where I can buy either a new front sprocket, or a new sprockets/chain, accordingly?

Thanks a lot.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Chain / sprockets replacement question

Post by Beresford on Sun 13 May 2018, 11:10 am

If the chain can be lifted more than a tiny fraction where it wraps around the rear sprocket, then it's time 
to change the whole set.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sun 13 May 2018, 11:20 am

I used to replace the sprockets at a ratio of 3 to 1. The rear would wear out 3 times faster than the front one.
Replace both as a starting point with a new chain. That was for steel  sprockets as alloy ones wear out much faster and aren't really worthwhile on a road bike unless you have a passion for changing them and money to burn.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 13 May 2018, 11:34 am

@ANDYC wrote:I used to replace the sprockets at a ratio of 3 to 1. The rear would wear out 3 times faster than the front one....

Really? I thought that the *front* one wore quicker, but I might have missed something (neither of mine wear quick now I don't use the bike as much!)
Grarea
the 900
the 900

Post by Grarea on Sun 13 May 2018, 4:31 pm

I also thought the front one wore quicker.
(Based on just reading stuff, not personal experience)
There being less teeth and so more wear.

But I got JT and I seem to remember someone saying that they make them tougher now and so last more like 1:1.

Might have been Del Boy's garage???

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yj4sKsguvU&t=27s
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 13 May 2018, 5:54 pm

Delboy's full of shit, with that.

I just replaced my front sprocket and it was fu-bar, rear is fine though. Both JT, both replaced at the same time as the chain.
Grarea
the 900
the 900

Post by Grarea on Sun 13 May 2018, 6:50 pm

I was wondering what people thought of him.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 13 May 2018, 7:17 pm

He use to be alright when it was basic stuff with very simple tools now with the money he's got from patreon, ect. The last year of the videos turned into quantity and not quality. It's like and now I'm using *this sealey tool that I got from wemoto*, giveaways, tool reviews.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 13 May 2018, 8:14 pm

@ANDYC wrote:I used to replace the sprockets at a ratio of 3 to 1. The rear would wear out 3 times faster than the front one.http://www.loobman.co.uk/loobman
Typo, right?

The simple explanation is that there are three times as many teeth on the rear-sprocket, leaving it three times as resilient to wear...
However... There's the mis-wear-lignment to consider when changing front sprocket; I've found that changing the whole kit, then changing the front - and then iterate - is the solution. Alas, a 2:1-ratio.
Still, given proper care and attention, the chain+rear will do 60.000 km or more.
YMMV - literally...

What determines how far you can 'stretch it' depends on your chain care approach. Some don't care - some do. Those who do usually get better mileage from their investment. Speaking of which; if you plan on caring for your chain, then don't buy cheap stuff. And under no circumstances buy non-O-ring-chains!

Me? I'm using DID 525V8 + standard JT-sprockets + a Loobman oiler. True to the Honda spirit; simple, effective, longlasting. And cheaper in the long run.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sun 13 May 2018, 8:34 pm

The smaller front sprocket just means that it turns 3 times more than the rear one does. I really have no idea why they wear as they do, other than the front one is probably forged rather than stamped.
fgclark123
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by fgclark123 on Sun 13 May 2018, 9:24 pm

Looks like the above recommended JT front sprockets here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JT-Front-Sprocket-JTF297-Teeth/dp/B07288Y5SC

thanks folks.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 13 May 2018, 9:27 pm

I order this one - cheapest price posted. Sometimes you get a rubber dampened one, others just the pain steel one. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261461779087?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=560342911256&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
turista
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by turista on Mon 14 May 2018, 1:39 am

Searched a bit on the forum and found a good link when is time for a change 
https://www.gearingcommander.com/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 14 Aug 2018, 2:17 pm