You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Front brake pads

davecb5002
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Front brake pads

Post by davecb5002 on Sat 05 May 2018, 7:32 pm

Which are the best pads to use on the front disc. Without putting to much extra wear on disc ??
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Front brake pads

Post by Beresford on Tue 08 May 2018, 7:11 am

Modern sintered pads are good, with good 'bite' but I have found that the disc will only last for maybe 2 to 3 pad changes. So as I don't ride like James, I'm reverting to the cheaper organic type. Any good brand should do. 

Last edited by Beresford on Tue 08 May 2018, 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 08 May 2018, 8:10 am

I've got no idea what you're talking about beresford Rolling Eyes . As for disc's getting eaten with pads I think it's more of a OEM sunstar brake disc issue, my bike has some unbranded disc on both sets of wheels (have a spare front and rear). I've never had to change a front disc and mine may turn blue often.

Back to topic, brembo pads would be ideal but I'm unsure of their own part number for the fitment of our caliper.
ZekeVal
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by ZekeVal on Tue 08 May 2018, 9:09 am

I use the organic "GG" Brenta from Wemoto, not a lot of bite, but I usually stop where I want to Wink

But since we're on the topic of front brakes, and my disc is soon at the end of its life, do you guys have any recommendations and links for a front disc?
I might try some sintered pads as well to see the difference.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 08 May 2018, 12:09 pm

I've always used EBC discs and EBC sintered pads, never a problem. I have replaced the front brake disc twice and the rear disc once in the bike's 95,000 miles.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 08 May 2018, 2:50 pm

Did someone mention brakepads?

teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 08 May 2018, 6:02 pm

Now that's being greedy James Wink Laughing
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 08 May 2018, 9:54 pm

Gotta make the most of the cheapest price on the internet, with an additional 10% off code too Wink Should have enough front pads for another 50k miles now. A set of front pads tpyically last about 12k miles for me on average.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 11 May 2018, 7:23 pm

My researching/digging on the net seems to indicate that the best oil filters (if you can't get Purolator which appears to be US market only) are K&N, Mobil 1, or HiFlo. And also that those three are also made in the same factory !
Anyway, James, where is the best price for HiFlo ? I need to do a filter change. Not because of mileage, but because the K&N I am using is all corroded from front wheel crap, and I am concerned that it might spring a leak.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 11 May 2018, 8:47 pm

sportsbikeshop.co.uk at £4.35 each with £1.45 postage to NI, though if you order a lot of filters then the postage stays the same. If you're going to order a bulk amount then I've got a 10% discount code that I'll share with you.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 11 May 2018, 10:05 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:sportsbikeshop.co.uk at £4.35 each with £1.45 postage to NI, though if you order a lot of filters then the postage stays the same. If you're going to order a bulk amount then I've got a 10% discount code that I'll share with you.
Well, I'd probably want to order 4 filters and 2 pairs of Nissin pads. Two of the filters and the pads would be for the Tiger (it uses the same pad as the earlier CB500}. They don't all have to be the same type filter, do they ?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 12 May 2018, 8:33 am

@Beresford wrote:
@Jameshambleton wrote:sportsbikeshop.co.uk at £4.35 each with £1.45 postage to NI, though if you order a lot of filters then the postage stays the same. If you're going to order a bulk amount then I've got a 10% discount code that I'll share with you.

Well, I'd probably want to order 4 filters and 2 pairs of Nissin pads. Two of the filters and the pads would be for the Tiger (it uses the same pad as the earlier CB500}. They don't all have to be the same type filter, do they ?

Nope it's just 10% off the total order it's got a limited amount of uses and I don't know the limit so try to make the most of it. My last order was about £140 worth with brake pads and filters, should be enough to keep the cb going for a year or so now.
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Sat 12 May 2018, 7:11 pm

I used the EBC HH Sintered for a while, excellent stopping power when new but they always seemed to become less effective before they wore out, perhaps contaminated with road grot, and my efforts to refresh them with carb cleaner and a file were ineffective. The last set of pads I used were Goldfren S33 race pads. These have the most phenomenal stopping power! And they are cheap! They also last hardly any time, so do keep a close eye on them, they wear down super fast... They also eat brake discs for breakfast, so my nice shiny Armstrong floating brake disc is now toast, basically after one and a bit Goldfren pad sets...
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 12 May 2018, 8:13 pm

@Basil Moss wrote: The last set of pads I used were Goldfren S33 race pads. These have the most phenomenal stopping power! And they are cheap! They also last hardly any time, so do keep a close eye on them, they wear down super fast... They also eat brake discs for breakfast,
Yep. This was my experience too (road use only) . Maybe acceptable for racing, but hard on the pocket.
If there was a 'hard' disc available specifically for use with sintered race pads, now that would be worth trying.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 Aug 2018, 11:54 pm