You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

NVtTAW

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

NVtTAW

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 9:35 pm

In the theme of 'Clutch cable awareness week', we bring you NVtTAW!

Is your CB500 running like the proverbial 'bag of shite'?

Does it rev up in unexplained ways?

Do you get a 'hanging idle' after revving the engine? (as helpfully demonstrated here)

If you have any of these problems then you could be in need of vacuum-tap tube awareness week.

Your manky, old, perished vacuum-tap tube could have given up the ghost and could now be letting in just enough air to screw up your idle and 'leaning' your mixture!

Also, even if you have replaced your vaccuum tube, you can suffer this problem too: you might have replaced it (only a few years ago) with an (unknown to you) inferior type of tube that will rot double quick... don't fall into its trap!

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES take your bike to bits and attempt to track down the problem UNLESS you have ruled out the vacuum-tap tube.

Note: Scottoiler owners beware! You have (at least) one extra tubes that can cause this problem!

jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: NVtTAW

Post by jonny10 on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 11:17 pm

Good tip that - and easy to replace too, could save a lot of faffing about looking for other causes.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 6:30 pm

That didn't happen to you by any chance did it ET? Razz
Mine is a similar vintage to yours, I shall be checking at the weekend!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 6:38 pm

Another way of testing a slipping clutch is 3rd gear rolling at approx 40mph, clutch in - Hit the red line and dump the clutch. If the revs seem to go down slowish (opposed to an instant bite and rev drop) then the clutch is starting to slip.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 02 May 2018, 10:54 pm

@teamster1975 wrote:That didn't happen to you by any chance did it ET? :P
Mine is a similar vintage to yours, I shall be checking at the weekend!

No, not at all, as if I'd do that...

Thankfully I only got as far as taking the tank off when I noticed - the carbs needed balancing anyway so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Actually, if the bike runs better when you have the vacuum gauge attached that's another sign your vacuum tap hose is on the way out... ;)
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 13 May 2018, 9:53 am

Having now gone for some slightly longer rides I can confirm that the vacuum hose fix as fixed the problem.

Now I just need to get past 'NaLRAM' - 'National Leaking Radiator Awareness Month', which is covering one side of my bike and one boot in coolant!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 23 Sep 2018, 12:50 pm