Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

CHANGING CHAIN AND SPROCKETS HIGHWAY RIDING

zax750

CHANGING CHAIN AND SPROCKETS HIGHWAY RIDING

Post by zax750 on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 10:28 am

Hi to all! I'm doing heavy highway riding on my cb 500 1996' and my problem is that with the stock sprocket sizes im doing 120km/h 6th gear 6100rpm. I would like to lower these rpm for less consumption and less vibration during highway riding. Could someone suggest me a bigger front sprocket, or a compatible bigger sprocket from another bike? I can't find any, and i dont know what other bike's sprocket is compatible for my cb500. Sad Sad Sad Sad Any help would be greatly appreciated! Laughing Laughing Laughing
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Re: CHANGING CHAIN AND SPROCKETS HIGHWAY RIDING

Post by GollyGosh on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 11:47 am

Have you thought of a smaller rear sprocket? JTR1332 is available in 36, 37 and 38 tooth for the CB500, the standard being 40.
zax750

Post by zax750 on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 12:57 pm

Thanks GollyGosh for your help so much. I just want to decrease the rpm and i dont mind changing either of the sprockets. So im gonna go with your recommendation. Do you think a 37 rear sprocket or a 36 could decrease my rpm say 1000 rpm less?

You are da man!
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GollyGosh on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 1:50 pm

I'm not da man!

I don't know the answer but I'm sure you won't have to wait long for expert advice Smile
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Sprocket Ratios - CB500

Post by GollyGosh on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 2:41 pm

Click the link for a sizes and ratio table

JT Sprockets chart - CB500

Hope this is of use
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 7:00 pm

I'm afraid that you wouldn't see much by way of economy by reducing the gearing.
Mainly due to the higher ratio dictates that you need more power to reach a given speed which means more throttle required. 
Once you reach that speed you require more torque to keep it there etc.
I tried many different ratios over my years as a courier and found it made no difference worth the effort.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 7:02 pm

Should you really feel the need to try it the cbr400 nc29 front sprocket fits.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 19 Apr 2018, 9:06 pm

The thing with this is that yes changing the sprockets will lower the rpm but won't reduce the fuel consumption. This is because you're having to make the engine run harder to have the same speed but because of this you'll keep the throttle more open thus using more fuel.

I personally use 15t front and 42 rear (+2 than stock so the engine revs and accelerates faster but also goes faster through the rev range) I get very good fuel economy.

Here is a link to what other bikes use the same sprockets. If you really want to go down and extend your gearing by a tooth I'd say try only going down -1 on the rear. http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTR1332/
zax750

Post by zax750 on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 7:19 am

Thank you all for your replies! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I think ill go -2 on the rear sprocket because it's not the fuel consumption that worries me so much, but i really feel during highways that i push my cb a bit too much riding 6000+ rpm for hours. Maybe its just in my head or maybe i love my cb too much! I dont know! ill go with the -2 and see how that goes! Its my first post in the club and i never thought i would get answers so quickly! You 've been all very helpful! Thank you very much guys!  cheers
Grarea
the 900
the 900

Post by Grarea on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 8:14 am

I look forward to hearing the results.
Danas108
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Danas108 on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 9:16 am

https://www.gearingcommander.com/

I find it useful. Good luck!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 9:33 am

Changing to a -2 rear will make it basically one gear up, so it'll be like starting in 2nd when you're in first ect. 2nd will become 3rd, 4th becomes 5th ect ect
6th gear is basically an over drive of 5th so the engine will really struggle to keep at 120kmh at the new rpm of 5k as this is where the dead spot in the rev range is from where the carbs change from the piot jet over to the main jet.
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 11:28 am

If it makes you feel any better I've done many thousands of motorway miles (unfortunately) and had the engine at 6000-7000 rpm for hours at a time. I know you what mean that it sounds 'wrong' especially when a diesel car will be nearer 2000 rpm at the same speeds but I think the engine can cope fine if maintained well.

I think a lot of it is psychological but I have recently trained my self to ride slower on motorways. I find journey times aren't significantly impacted compared with the benefit of fuel economy and being happier with the sound of the engine not spinning so fast!
zax750

Post by zax750 on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 11:57 am

yeah ceejay, riding at 6000rpm you hear that noise and you feel that vibration from beneath your feet like the bike is telling you to go FULL throttle. I maintain my bike as well as it gets (oil, filters etc.) Im also train my self to ride slower and the times that i achieved that the difference in fuel consumption was big. But ill test a sprocket teeth change to see if a 300-400 rpm decrease will make the bike feel less revy and i think it will be easier for me to stay under that point of 6000rpm which sounds ''wrong'' and revy. Either way ill post my results!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 16 Dec 2018, 6:18 pm