You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Fuel Leak

ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Re: Fuel Leak

Post by ANDYC on Fri 04 May 2018, 9:04 am

That's a very common issue. Why it's made of such a soft material is beyond me.
Grarea
the 900
the 900

Post by Grarea on Tue 08 May 2018, 9:04 am

Thanks for that. Again.

Well, they seemed in good order, no need to replace them.

Is there anything you would replace as a matter of course?
The float needles seem fine, there was a partially blocked jet and the float bowl gaskets were pretty perished.
At this price though, I thought i might just replace these (and obviously the leaky bit (which is surprisingly expensive)):

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cb_500_sw_sx/98-99/picture/carburettor_gasket_and_float_valve_kit/
Grarea
the 900
the 900

Post by Grarea on Fri 18 May 2018, 1:43 pm

Well, I got the bits from wemoto.
The float bowl gasket is a bit of a loose fit.
Anyway, what do you reckon to these?
The closest ones are the originals.

The o ring that goes on the screw that goes into the float bowl is a pretty tight fit and needs forcing which damages the O ring.
The one on the low speed mixture screw seems huge.
I don't reckon it will get down into its position, I reckon it will kind of ride up the screw.

What do you reckon?

IMGP2100 by chuffedas, on Flickr
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 19 May 2018, 9:55 am

I agree they look a bit different, however I have quite often come across o-rings that I have taken off things which have 'expanded' and never go back to their original size, so that may explain some of the difference.

Also, it is always worth seeing what happens with a little bit of lubrication - if you have any silicone spray/grease/rubber safe slime/GT85 or similar it should make the the 'tight' one easier and less likely to tear - it may also make the 'large' one more inclined to slide in to the hole (maybe).

Sadly I have also had the experience of carb rebuild kits that awful - lots of bits the wrong size and so on. If you still can't get it to work and it is obviously wrong then complain to wemoto.

Have you got a link to the item you bought from wemoto?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Oct 2018, 10:30 pm