Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

Crash- Elmit
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 19 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Crash- Elmit on Fri 17 May 2019, 9:34 am

that really is a tidy looking bike, SB
muttley1
the 900
the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 19 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by muttley1 on Fri 17 May 2019, 9:38 am

Finally my radiator has given up, the Bars treatment worked for a while but its rotting from inside to out. New one ordered from fleabay so some minor spannering on the way. Will give the bike a clean and get tank etc off later on...
stormbringer
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 18 May 2019, 6:11 pm

@Crash- Elmit wrote:that really is a tidy looking bike, SB
Hehe. On that particular picture it actually is. And the forest is amazingly light green and - fresh. But don't believe everything you see... This is the day after I gave it The Big Spring Cleaning, including tire shine and all. Three hours of scrubbing and rubbing and polishing.

BTW, said tire shine is dangerous!! It makes the tire walls all black and shiny all right, but oh crap is it slippery... It really should come with a warning sticker on the bottle. I ended up going sideways while leaning into a corner.
stormbringer
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 18 May 2019, 6:25 pm

Today I spent no time with my CB.

I've been helping out clear the working area at a friends' garage. Because 'car time' is coming my way.

I've bought me a couple of these:
What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 19 Img_2015
Two will eventually become one once I get the engine from one transplanted into the other. And a few other tidbits...

It's going to be my biggest and most ambitious mechanical undertaking to date.

Proper vintage: Citroën CX 2500 GTi. The closest thing you can get to a flying carpet! And the very last 'real Citroën'.
muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sat 18 May 2019, 7:38 pm

Spent a couple of hours getting old radiator off, putting on renthal road highs and general spannering.

Stormbringer, I ran a citroen BX 1.9 diesel for 150000 miles and definitely a smooth ride.

muttley1
ANDYC
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sat 18 May 2019, 8:25 pm

I did enjoy the ride quality in my Citroen bx Very Happy
Although I did have a hose split which bought the ride quality and height to an abrupt end Shocked
It was an easy fix though once you realise why your magic carpet had turned into a plank.
muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Wed 22 May 2019, 7:39 pm

Fair amount of spannering today: new radiator on and caked on leaked old fluid scrubbed off, it seemed to have got everywhere.
Decided not to put the fan back in - too rusty and can't recall the temp guage going over halfway anyway.
Changed the oil and put hiflo oil filter in. Oiled chain.

Did roadtest, didn't like the road high bars (too err, high for me) so put on oe ones.

NB radiator was ebay sourced - I used alloyworks-eu and got the "race" one. Nice snug fit and looks shiny indeed. Was delivered in 48 hours too.

Another road test tomorrow and that should be that, might put rearsets on though...

muttley1
Beresford
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 22 May 2019, 10:01 pm

@stormbringer wrote:
What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 19 Img_2015
Proper vintage: Citroën CX 2500 GTi. The closest thing you can get to a flying carpet! And the very last 'real Citroën'.

These are wonderful cars, I'm really envious. Let's have some photos of your progress.
stormbringer
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 13 Jun 2019, 8:27 pm

@Beresford wrote:

@stormbringer wrote:the very last 'real Citroën'.

These are wonderful cars, I'm really envious. Let's have some photos of your progress.

They are. But don't trust me - I'm biased.
Started life riding passenger in my dads DS. That one lasted from 1965 to somewhere mid-eighties. He then replaced it with a DS23IE Pallas and drove it until he no longer could operate it - around 2010. Sometime around 1996 I had got me an old and knackered CX2000 which gave up the ghost 2001, being replaced by a 22TRS. That one was put into hibernation 2006 due to a divorce. 2015 i acquired a Xantia Break - bought unseen and for cash one dark october night. Come to think of it, I've only had one non-citroen-car.
Now, the barn in which the 22TRS sits has been reclaimed, meaning all the cars in it have to go elsewhere. So I decided to go for a less rusty GTi parked next to mine. The 22TRS and a few other cars of the same make & model are now for sale. Offer ending soon... Very soon.

Getting back on topic. I've now serviced front forks and changed back to the OE can in preparation for vacation tour. Meeting up with the missus in Italy (she dislikes riding long haul so takes the plane). From there, we ride two-up to St. Tropez along the cote d'azur. Missus then gets dropped off at Nice airport and I get to spend an entire week working my way back through the Alps and as many POIs as I can cram into the days. Looking forward to that.

Also planning on doing oil+filter and perhaps plugs. Existing plugs have done 40k miles or so, and I'm considering a bit of proactive maintenance by now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 17 Jun 2019, 2:51 pm