Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 01 Jan 2019, 3:51 pm

@Crash- Elmit wrote:
I'm not sure about the cooling, but now the fan cuts in when temp gauge reads in the middle, the hoses get hot, and I have pressure but I don't know if coolant is circulating correctly - I can see it circulating with the cap off though. 

On a side note, I discovered it is easier to remove and refit the carbs and airbox whilst still joined together.

IF all the hoses get hot that's a good sign ;)

I'd suspect that the temperature gauge has (in some way) been upset by the rebuild and is reading differently than before. I think it just works on resistance to ground, so it could just be a bad or corroded connection that will stop it reading as high as before.

If you leave the bike idling and the fan cuts in, does the fan stop again, after a while? Does the temperature gauge go down (a little) after the fan has been on? I suspect if both these things happen then you have little to worry about.

The only real way to tell is to wait until a hot day in summer and take it for a ride...
skyerae
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by skyerae on Tue 01 Jan 2019, 4:19 pm

We only have one hot day (in Scotland at least.....)
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 01 Jan 2019, 4:23 pm

@skyerae wrote:We only have one hot day (in Scotland at least.....)

Makes cooling less of an issue... ;)
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit on Tue 01 Jan 2019, 5:03 pm

Yes ET, all the hoses get hot, and the fan runs for a minute and then stops but the gauge stays roughly in the middle of the white bar

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Thu 17 Jan 2019, 9:52 am

The other day, passed mot.

Checked all the bulbs etc beforehand but one of the old aftermarket indicators decided to fail on the way. The wiring had perished so 2 new front indicators from Halfords later and all is well. Only did 1000 miles on it last year (spare bike) so usual January debate over selling it on, or not...

muttley1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Jan 2019, 9:46 am