Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

What did you do with your CB500 today?

Share
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3974
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 08 Dec 2018, 5:43 pm

On a whim I took my bike to me MOTed this afternoon - the MOT isn't due until next month, but I thought I'd be ahead of the game and get it done a month early.

I hadn't checked the lights etc as I everything was working last time I used it; of course this meant that it failed.  The f*cking horn didn't work!  Aaaaaaaagh!

Amusing fact:  if you fail on the horn it is classed as a 'major fault' (new MOT regime), so I have a bit of paper that says my bike has a 'major fault' because the horn (that I rarely, if ever, use) doesn't work Smile

I dread to think what might happen if there was anything actually wrong with it...
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2843
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 08 Dec 2018, 9:00 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:
@Jameshambleton wrote:Yeah.. decided that working on the cairngorm mountain funicular railway was more fun


That's a tasteful outfit they've made you wear...

Chainsaw boots, 1 piece rubber suit, then the viking over trousers and jacket, 1 pair of gloves taped to the rubber suit then another pair ontop of them also taped up, then a welding helmet with replaceable perspex incerts, oh and ear plugs.

I work with water flowing at 26 Liters a minute coming out of a hole which is 0.85mm wide, at over a velocity of 1,500 MPH . Which is about the size of a 500ml bottle of coke a second, vaporises on impact. Means you get soaked with ph13 water (after it's hit the concrete) if you don't wear the gear.
avatar
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Posts : 277
Location : Rothwell, Nr Kettering

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sat 08 Dec 2018, 11:51 pm

update on my 500.

changed the shims to get clearances back in spec, put everything back on and fired bike up. bike did not immediately fire up, but eventually it stirred into life, so I had at least put it back together correctly, but I then spotted oil pouring out between the head and barrel. I have a thread gone on the bolt hole for the rear camchain tunnel so it had not torqued down correctly so have had to strip head again. Also somehow managed to damage the metal gasket on the front in the camchain tunnel area so needed to buy a new one, along with a helicoil kit. I am hoping I can drill the hole out without having to remove the engine, as the spar that crosses over between the frame could be in the way. The worst thing of all is I have dropped a bolt in the camchain tunnel and it has dropped through into the gearbox housing. I put the bike in gear and turned engine over via the alternator nut and it turned over freely so I'm hoping the bolt has ended up in the sump and not in the gears - I really do not want to strip the whole engine apart, especially in this weather as I want the bike back running for the real winter so I'm not using the 600 in snow, cos if I drop that I cannot pick it up again
avatar
hh_12345
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Posts : 146

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by hh_12345 on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 7:32 am

Any chance to try and collect the bolt through the oil drain hole with some sort of magnet on wire.

Running an engine with a dropped bolt somewhere inside sounds scary to me.
avatar
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic
Posts : 1008
Location : Windsor

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by ANDYC on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 9:41 am

I would strongly recommend getting the loose bolt out before continuing. 
Just taking the sump off may be needed. 
It's not what you want to hear I know, but a loose bolt bouncing around an engine or worse the gearbox could potentially seize the unit at any time. affraid 
I ignored a rattle in a gpx750 at many years ago and thought that 'I'll get around to it' after 3 days and fortunately at tickover warming up the engine suddenly stopped. 
It turned out to be a bolt from the camshaft sprocket had come out and jammed between the crankshaft and the cam chain. The chain snapped and locked up the crankshaft good and solid. Three of the pistons and 12 of the 16 valves were also wrecked. 
Engine damage aside, had it been at speed!!!!!
All of a sudden taking the sump off to retrieve your wayward bolt seems an easy task.
avatar
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Posts : 277
Location : Rothwell, Nr Kettering

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 10:19 am

Hi Andyc , I'm not sure how to get the sump off, and did not know you could  so will have a look next time I go to the garage to work on it
avatar
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic
Posts : 1008
Location : Windsor

loose bolt

Post by ANDYC on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 10:49 am

It's straightforward, you may find it easier to take the exhaust off and certainly drain the oil. In fact draining the oil and using a small magnet through the hole may be worth trying before removing the sump.
The sump pan is held on by only the bolts around the outer edge of it, once you see it you'll understand.
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3974
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 12:20 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:

@eternally_troubled wrote:


@Jameshambleton wrote:Yeah.. decided that working on the cairngorm mountain funicular railway was more fun




That's a tasteful outfit they've made you wear...



Chainsaw boots, 1 piece rubber suit, then the viking over trousers and jacket, 1 pair of gloves taped to the rubber suit then another pair ontop of them also taped up, then a welding helmet with replaceable perspex incerts, oh and ear plugs.

I work with water flowing at 26 Liters a minute coming out of a hole which is 0.85mm wide, at over a velocity of 1,500 MPH . Which is about the size of a 500ml bottle of coke a second, vaporises on impact. Means you get soaked with ph13 water (after it's hit the concrete) if you don't wear the gear.

Yes, I wasn't being serious.  What is/was the temperature up in cairngorm?
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3974
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 12:26 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:Amusing fact:  if you fail on the horn it is classed as a 'major fault' (new MOT regime), so I have a bit of paper that says my bike has a 'major fault' because the horn (that I rarely, if ever, use) doesn't work :)

I dread to think what might happen if there was anything actually wrong with it...

Fixed the horn.  It now goes 'meep' as it did before, so it's not much better than no horn, but it should pass the retest.

Just in case anyone else has this problem: I'm pretty sure that my horn had partially stuck with the internal contact open, so a bit of careful pushing on the round bit and removal of rust that was trapped underneath made it spring back into life. 

I could have fixed this without taking anything apart, so if your horn looses it's meep then it's worth a bit of poking to see if you can restore it.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2843
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 5:41 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:
@Jameshambleton wrote:
@eternally_troubled wrote:
@Jameshambleton wrote:Yeah.. decided that working on the cairngorm mountain funicular railway was more fun
That's a tasteful outfit they've made you wear...
Chainsaw boots, 1 piece rubber suit, then the viking over trousers and jacket, 1 pair of gloves taped to the rubber suit then another pair ontop of them also taped up, then a welding helmet with replaceable perspex incerts, oh and ear plugs.

I work with water flowing at 26 Liters a minute coming out of a hole which is 0.85mm wide, at over a velocity of 1,500 MPH . Which is about the size of a 500ml bottle of coke a second, vaporises on impact. Means you get soaked with ph13 water (after it's hit the concrete) if you don't wear the gear.
Yes, I wasn't being serious.  What is/was the temperature up in cairngorm?
+3 to -4 wind was gusting to 70mph on one evening.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2843
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 14 Dec 2018, 3:34 pm

Red cb500s in waitrose car park 1 New Union Square, London SW8 5AJ anyone on here?
avatar
ojacobs1
Squiddy
Squiddy

Posts : 18
Location : Skien, Norway

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by ojacobs1 on Sat 15 Dec 2018, 9:51 am

Changing oil and filter before putting it on storage...


avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3974
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 15 Dec 2018, 5:00 pm

@ojacobs1 wrote:Changing oil and filter before putting it on storage...



brrrr.  Looks cold. Thankfully that weather hasn't yet reached the south-east of England...

--

Today I finally got my MOT - horn remained working!  All proper respect to Cambridge Motorcycles who waived their re-test fee...
avatar
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Posts : 277
Location : Rothwell, Nr Kettering

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sat 15 Dec 2018, 8:37 pm

put mine back together again today with a new head gasket and all the damaged threads helicoiled so everything is properly torqued up. the bolt that I dropped in the engine I found in the sump after taking that off (thanks to Andyc for that suggestion) so all good to go. unfortunately flattened the battery before bike would fire up so have no idea how well it will run
avatar
ojacobs1
Squiddy
Squiddy

Posts : 18
Location : Skien, Norway

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by ojacobs1 on Sat 15 Dec 2018, 10:18 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:





@ojacobs1 wrote:Changing oil and filter before putting it on storage...









brrrr.  Looks cold. Thankfully that weather hasn't yet reached the south-east of England...

--

Today I finally got my MOT - horn remained working!  All proper respect to Cambridge Motorcycles who waived their re-test fee...



Weather was actually fine so it was OK Very Happy . Forecast says more of the white stuff this weekend though... Shocked
avatar
mikethebike
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Posts : 28
Location : Kent

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by mikethebike Today at 1:07 pm

A bit light in the wallet by 8.30 this morning.  Went to pick my CB up from the dealers after a 64k service, coolant change, new front tyre and pads.  The bike is transformed though - why is it that I don't notice how crap the ride has become as it reaches it's 4,000 mile service limit? 

I've been assured that more financial pain is ahead in 2019 though. Sad   The front disk has now reached its limit, so will need swapping for a new one at 68k - as will the exhaust headers.  These are suffering from terminally heavy corrosion where they meet the cylinder block.  The front brake could do with a master cylinder rebuild really too as it's become progressively more spongy over the last six months - and the 18 year old rubber hose on the front probably needs to be changed for something a bit newer while that's being done too!  On top of that the valves will need doing when it goes in at 68k (last checked at 52k when the cam chain was changed), so it will be bang on the 16k interval. Still, I've got until May (when the clicks hit that mileage) to save up for it so, as long as we haven't all gone to hell in a handcart because of Brexit, I guess I'll have had the time to pawn everything else I own by then. Very Happy
avatar
r1ncew1nd
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Posts : 34
Location : Bedlington, Northumberland

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by r1ncew1nd Today at 3:51 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:

@ojacobs1 wrote:Changing oil and filter before putting it on storage...





brrrr.  Looks cold. Thankfully that weather hasn't yet reached the south-east of England...

--

Today I finally got my MOT - horn remained working!  All proper respect to Cambridge Motorcycles who waived their re-test fee...
Looks bloody freezing, even for a supposedly hard Northerner !

Sitting in a villa in Mauritius at the moment (holiday).  Flying home tomorrow into Gatwick, then 8 hour drive home to Newcastle.  Been 31 degrees C here for the last 2 weeks.  Not looking forward to it.

Tell you what.  There's some mad bikers in Mauritius.  Mostly all on 125's (mostly Honda's, Suzuki's and chinese imports).  They make filtering an art form, generating space where before there was none.  And if they cannot, then they just beep their horn continuously.  It's probably the first thing they check is working on their MOT (if such a thing exists) - which by the standards of some of their bikes, I doubt it.  However, their motorcycle accident death stats tell you everything you need to know.

Merry Christmas to all  santa

Steve

Sponsored content

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Wed 19 Dec 2018, 4:05 pm