You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

stormbringer

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by stormbringer on Sun 28 Oct 2018, 7:13 pm

Yesterday I took part in a year's-end-rideout. I was invited along as a guest with Fedtmuleklubben. FYI 'Fedtmule' is the danish translation of this character's name:

It's a nice lot - most are in their sixties and behave like sane people. And it's always an experience to go riding with others. Amazing how little one knows one's own neighbourhood. I learnt a thing or two that day.
But is was cold. And today it had been snowing when I got up. And - worse still - the council had seized the opportunity to start spreading salt!!!
So, there you have it; year's end.

I'll now hose down the bike, oil various moving bits and stick it in the shed for the winter.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 28 Oct 2018, 9:26 pm

I know that the whole world ridicules our weather, but it's never too hot to ride in summer like in the USA or Spain for example. And cold weather with snow and ice usually doesn't last too long so we are fortunate here. Poor Russians, Germans, Scandinavians, Canadians etc. etc. I like the Temperate Climate without extremes.
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Mon 29 Oct 2018, 6:18 am

You need too include Scotland in that list, where it rains most of the time with the difference that in winter is either sleets or snows most of the time  Sad
burudis
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by burudis on Mon 29 Oct 2018, 6:11 pm

on the road cuñao
on the road again
Oafski
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Oafski on Mon 29 Oct 2018, 7:00 pm

Went for my first ride since recovering from some minor surgery. Only spoilt by the strobing effect of the low sun through the trees and hedges and the discovery of a screw in the rear tyre when I returned home. I've repaired it using the sticky red string from a tyre repair kit which I have had for more years than I care to remember and will check tomorrow to see if I have been successful.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 29 Oct 2018, 7:54 pm

@Beresford wrote: it's never too hot to ride in summer 

it very nearly was this year though - I set off for Horncastle one morning (a 90 min ride) and by midday it was pretty horrible. I was filtering through town at one point and the fan on the ninja honestly sounded like a harrier jump jet - I've never heard it working so fast before or since. The frame was hot to the touch - it was like sitting on a hand drier. And I was hot enough already just from the sun. That was back in July iirc. It was sweltering. True, there wasn't one single day through that heatwave where I was put off riding by the prospect of getting too uncomfortable - but otoh it was tough going at times, esp. when speeds fell to 30 and below.
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 1:53 pm

Changed the cush drive rubbers in the back wheel. The old ones were quite a bit thinner than the new, I had found some play but I didn't think it was that bad! Went for a test ride and all the nasty lumpiness from 2 to 4k revs is gone, the bike is transmogrified and I love it even more! Very Happy 
So much for 50 years of biking experience when I suffer the horrible power transmission for over a year! Rolling Eyes
Never too late to learn eh?
Have fun guys! Dave.
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GollyGosh on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 2:10 pm

@Trevor Machine

Which road did you take?

The A153 - Louth to Horncastle via Cadwell is popular.  Through the Wolds with bends, curves, straights, ups and downs.  The downside can be HGV's when you can't see past them and you need a bit of patience until you can.
skyerae
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by skyerae on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 3:49 pm

First off I fitted the cable , from the battery, that my heated gloves plug into and it worked! Washed the bike, first time this year and took it for a dry off ride and filled it up with fuel. Back home and oiled the chain (EP80-90) and checked the chain tension. 5mm slack so tightened her up and now ready to head back to work tomorrow. Should hit the 40000 mile mark by the end of the season - for me that is the end of November. Too much ice and salt on the roads by then and it gets really grim here in the wilds of Scotland.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 7:04 pm

@GollyGosh wrote:@Trevor Machine

Which road did you take?

The A153 - Louth to Horncastle via Cadwell is popular.  Through the Wolds with bends, curves, straights, ups and downs.  The downside can be HGV's when you can't see past them and you need a bit of patience until you can.

The B1225 - as you'll know, it's direct, pretty decent surface for the most part, and quite fast. 

Tbh the more I've explored the region, the less I've enjoyed it. Me and a few mates often attend the Lincs bike nights (sports not cruisers) and on those occasions I've had a lot of fun. But this year I made a concerted effort to "learn" north Lincs. I come in at Barton, head for Brigg and Caistor (avoiding the A15!!) - then, often, the 1225 to Horncastle. Other routes have included mkt. Rasen, then Wragby, then Bardney and the insanely technical Bardney / H-castle road. That's horrible if you don't know it, and probably only enjoyable by amazing riders and / or locals who're very familiar with it. 

I have ridden the H-castle / Louth road and it's good. But I have to say that I think the Yorkshire Wolds are several magnitudes better than their Lincs counterpart. The scenery is better, the road surfaces too - and also the amenities (towns and rural cafes etc.), and pretty much everything else too. At this juncture I've sort of given up on exploring North Lincs wolds because there are so many unmarked back lanes (which are okay, I suppose - but not really my preferred kind of roads, which are basically marked B-class roads). So more recently I've spent time heading in the opposite direction and trying to improve my knowledge of the North Yorkshire moors - there's actually no a lot to them, but the scenery can be spectacular, rivalling the Peak District in places. The Yorkshire Dales are best, in this regard - but they're a little bit inaccessible from where I am nr. Pocklington. It's a couple of hours ride just to get there. Unless you motorway it, and that's a bit shit. 

Just lately I've exploring the Peak District around Longnor, Crowdecote, The Roaches, Leek, etc. It's fantastic in places - but like the Dales, a long way from my actual address. The trips have been necessitated by trying to care for relatives who live near to that region in Stoke. Getting out of that shit hole and up on to the North Staffs moorland, and from there to the Peaks offers some relief from the abject crapness of Stoke. I usually have to tackle it by car, unfortunately - but for the purposes of reconnaissance and the planning of future trips, that's fine - and can be nearly as enjoyable as going by bike. On the odd occasion, I have travelled down to Stoke on the ninja, then headed out into the Peaks - and it's ace fun. Lots of technical lanes probably better suited to a lighter, more easy going bike like the 500 though. But I dislike using that for motorway work and long distance shit, so I tend to plump for the bigger Kawasaki. 

What are you favourite routes around the North / Central Lincolnshire area? I'd really love to know, 'cos as I said, just lately I've started to get a bit pissed off with that whole area having not been able to find *that* many decent roads. Cheers!
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GollyGosh on Wed 31 Oct 2018, 2:30 pm

"I have ridden the H-castle / Louth road and it's good. But I have to say that I think the Yorkshire Wolds are several magnitudes better than their Lincs counterpart. The scenery is better, the road surfaces too - and also the amenities (towns and rural cafes etc.), and pretty much everything else too."

I completely agree with you and the B1225 is another popular road for bikes. Not much else for interesting fast roads. As I only got my license in May I'm pretty much in bimble mode anyway and tend to wander around the back roads and only go fast on A180/M180 or A15 to Yorkshire.  I think I need a biker buddy to help me up skill more quickly Smile
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 01 Nov 2018, 7:56 am

Bimbling is great and shouldn't be underestimated for the amount of biking pleasure it can bring. One of the best rides I went on this year was me and a mate on his w650 - the route was basically the most minor lanes in and around the North Yorks Moors. Rosedale and Grosmont, etc. - including quite a deep and wide ford (running freely despite the abject heat of July - I think it must've been spring fed). I nearly chickened out of the ford - but had to follow after my mate went for it. 

I was on my 20 year old ninja so in many ways it was the worst bike for the job as we rarely saw north of 35-40 mph and were frequently negotiating weird hairpins on steep elevation changes - like Chimney Bank. 

Somehow though we both finished the 120 mile ride feeling like we'd only been on the bikes for an hour. No aches or fatigue. We were a bit bamboozled by this but concluded that because the route had been so interesting, our bodies somehow weren't feeling the strain. 

In any case, the point is that this slow, technical ride - on the wrong bike - was somehow really enjoyable. My mate thought I'd be cursing the ninja when we got back, and complaining of an aching back and sore wrists - but not a bit of it. 

Also, other really enjoyable rides of the year for me have been green laning - just our local routes, nothing further afield. And speeds rarely exceed 35mph - and yet once again the fun-factor is right up there. 

Biking is weird. And don't get me wrong - I've had a lot of very exciting times baiting Audis and the like, and using a goodly amount of power that the ninja makes on the faster, more sweeping local roads. But for all that, sometimes it's been the slower stuff that's made for a more satisfying ride.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 01 Nov 2018, 9:25 am

Quick updates from me.
Bought a kawasaki er6f c9f Saturday
Passed my mod1 Tuesday
Passed my mod 2 Wednesday (yesterday)
No training for either of them on a bike I'd only ridden for 300 miles

Shredding up the dales countryside with BadSeeds yesterday, managed to ripple my tyre despite the temp been a max of 5c on salty and damp roads. Lost the rear a few times and the font a couple of times, was a good day!
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 01 Nov 2018, 4:54 pm

well done on cracking both your tests james excellent work well done Very Happy
Oafski
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Rear Wheel Puncture

Post by Oafski on Thu 01 Nov 2018, 5:43 pm

Managed to pick up a screw in the rear tyre a few days ago. removed it when I got home and effected a repair with an Airpro Repair Kit which uses a sort of red sticky string. I haven't used the Bike since but the tyre hasn't lost any pressure and I wondered if anyone had any experience od how permenant a repair this is. My mate did the last one I had with one of those little black mushroom ones and that proved permenant.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 02 Nov 2018, 9:52 am

I've used the sticky string stuff successfully in the past. It has several advantages over other methods in that it works at the roadside without needing to strip the wheel. Also one doesn't need to enlarge the puncture hole as much as with other methods. I found it quite durable even at speed, no imbalance effect.
Oafski
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Oafski on Fri 02 Nov 2018, 10:57 am

Brilliant, thanks for that, thought it should be ok but always nice to have a bit of reassurance.
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Post by Crash- Elmit on Fri 02 Nov 2018, 6:55 pm

stripped the cylinder head after getting a valve compressor off fleabay. The proper Honda one I ordered from DS was a long time coming so cancelled that order and looked for a generic type to fit a recessed head. Found no evidence of wear in springs or guides, with both being well in spec, and the valves were well in spec also. Three inlet valves were spotless and one was covered in a sooty residue on the back of the valve head so tells me it was partially leaking so I have lapped the seats on all valves and fitted new valve seals,  cleaned and painted the starter motor after stripping it to pieces and fitting new brushes.
Will hopefully rebuild bike on my next long weekend.

On a side note I had road pilots fitted to the 600 today and what a difference. I felt more confident in throwing it through the twisties on the way back from the Hinkley tyre place.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 02 Nov 2018, 7:25 pm

@Oafski wrote:Managed to pick up a screw in the rear tyre a few days ago. removed it when I got home and effected a repair with an Airpro Repair Kit which uses a sort of red sticky string. I haven't used the Bike since but the tyre hasn't lost any pressure and I wondered if anyone had any experience od how permenant a repair this is. My mate did the last one I had with one of those little black mushroom ones and that proved permenant.

Well, I used some similar black 'sticky string' (I think it's a string dunked in non-cured rubber gunk) in previous front and rear tyres and didn't have a problem.  I suspect it might not hold up to the temperatures and stresses that you might get on a visit to the track, but you don't exactly get them every day on the road, so they were fine for me as a permanent repair.
Oafski
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Oafski on Sat 03 Nov 2018, 11:33 am

Again, many thanks, as a 72 year old I tend to ride in self preservation mode more these days so the rev counter rarely goes over 8000 now.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 03 Nov 2018, 5:51 pm

and as a 58 year old I ride exactly  the same way and have done for a long while now
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 03 Nov 2018, 6:09 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:
Passed my mod1 Tuesday

Good work!
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sat 03 Nov 2018, 7:11 pm

@trevor machine wrote:
@Jameshambleton wrote:
Passed my mod1 Tuesday

Good work!
+1
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 03 Nov 2018, 9:04 pm

@stormbringer wrote:So, there you have it; year's end.

I'll now hose down the bike, oil various moving bits and stick it in the shed for the winter.
Never say never...

With it having rained a lot (goodbye salt!) and today being one of those clear and almost frosty weekend days, I decided to give it one more go.
Having loaded up the bike with panniers holding extra clothing, thermos/coffee, my DSLR and a ushanka (russian-style ear-flap-hat), I set the satnav to that same area I'd toured earlier and requested a "max-twisties + max-hilliness" ride. And then, off I went, this time in a somewhat more leisurely pace.
And what a great idea that turned out to be. I bimbled along, occasionally stopping to take in the scenery and a few photos. Eventually, I ended up on the same hilltop as last time, and paused for a cup of coffee, taking in the scenery.
Denmark is mostly flat and quite boring, so I'll spare you the agony of having to 'admire' photos of the outlook from said hilltop. In stead, here's a photo of the bike in excruciating detail (the advantage of enough light and a proper DSLR):
https://i.servimg.com/u/f64/19/68/15/14/maf_6810.jpg
Next, I decided to experiment with the satnav's 'guided tour' function and plotted a few random waypoints in the area, then took off, following directions - mostly. That brought me to a few unexpected locations. Funny-ish - and definitely a relaxing/'free' experience.
Oh well, enough careless meandering - I had to get back to the planned program for the day (grumble - treadmill), so I returned home and got on with the programme.

I'll be missing these carefree rideouts.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 2:35 pm

Battery fail in the week so charged it up and back on today. Hopefully all will be well but if not time for a new one.

Plenty of pop up roadworks locally on B roads, clearing gullys etc but not so many warning signs so have been a little slower of late.
Did do a 50 mile tour of local villages/farms and the cb5 really works well on uneven/muddy/broken up roads. I don't think I got over 60 but who's counting.

muttley1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 20 Nov 2018, 7:16 pm