You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 7:43 pm

@skyerae wrote:Carried out this upgrade as part of fault finding mission this weekend. I had it jury rigged and then found the fault on the pulser coil wiring. Wired it up correctly this evening, soldered the connections and heat shrunk the connections and cable tied into position. Still started until I pushed the pulser coil connector into position. Then it wouldn't start again so checked connector. Unless the connector is pushed totally home (and the securing clip is very slack) the one connector doesn't make the circuit. Pushed it home and left it as it is - at least if it cuts out I know what the issue is and will solder the connections instead. The CB now start instantaneously rather than a few revolutions (about 3) before firing into life. Will see how she is tomorrow and how the fuel economy is altered (if at all) over the next few weeks. New plugs also fitted as part of the fault finding so part service carried out.

Well done for finding the problem.

I would just solder it, heat shrink it, tape it up and be done with it. It will only go wrong at the most inopportune moment otherwise...
Kairos
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Kairos on Thu 16 Aug 2018, 8:08 pm

'Nobby',my 500s is coming along nicely,albeit slowly. I.only get to work on it during my lunch hours. To date,the replacement seat fairing has been prepped and sprayed along with the front mudguard. The front fairing has had a few minor cracks repaired and is in primer ready for top coats. A Renntec rack is also prepped and primed. Various other bits have been cleaned,new(to meanyway) shocks are fitted and it's beginning to look pretty good
hh_12345
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by hh_12345 on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 2:49 pm

Cleaned the chain to disover it is actually golden D.I.D.
Removed the chain slider to inspect and clean, only to have the thing break in two in my hands. Managed to glue it back together and it survived installation, but might be good to look for a new one.
hh_12345
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by hh_12345 on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 12:15 pm

I have replaced some of the light bulbs on the cb with brighter led ones.

The speedometer lighting (T10 sockets) did not change at all.

The oil/neutral/longbeam (T5 socket) are brighter, but not that much. The led bulb does not work for the indicators light - it would light only for the right or left indicators, not for both - probably because of the led bulb not being non polarized.

Installing a led for the tail light has been an improvement - not only the tail light is significantly brighter but the number plate and the road behind the bike is much better illuminated.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 3:42 pm

You can change the flasher unit to suit led indicator bulbs. They don't draw enough current to work with the standard flasher unit.
hh_12345
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by hh_12345 on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 7:04 pm

@ANDYC wrote:You can change the flasher unit to suit led indicator bulbs. They don't draw enough current to work with the standard flasher unit.

Thanks, that's correct. Briefly tried one led bulb for the indicators and the unit flashes faster as if there is no bulb.

The indicator light I mention in my post is the indicators warning light on the instruments panel.
haybunch

Post by haybunch on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 12:11 pm

today i replaced my foot pegs, only the left one needed changing as most of the rubber was gone and it was mangled like and moving all over. not to mention it was missing the spring, the split pin and washer. replaced both anyways and it feels good! been adjusting the gear lever cause i never felt comfortable with it but everything feels right and refreshed now i installed new ones. bought the one linked in this forum thread http://www.cb500club.net/t5695-frong-foot-peg-recommendation?highlight=foot+pegs

a little dismayed by the fact the rubber bit cannot be replaced unlike the oem's but the whole set costs the same as a piece of the rubber replacement off wemoto. the spring i had to bend downwards to hold on to the peg. cant beat it for the price though and it functions perfectly
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Post by Crash- Elmit on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 8:45 pm

managed to get the cam cover off, but had to destroy one bolt to get it out. cam chain seems ok, it's not lifting off the cogs so uncertain what is causing the rattle. I am going to remove the breather box and the carbs to see if I can get the rear mounting bolt out. I tried a 350nm impact gun on the bolt last week to see if it would free up but no such luck. may end up having to drill it out like the front one
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 8:50 pm

You know that stainless is the way to go.
Mr Messy

Post by Mr Messy on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 2:16 pm

Sadly just commuted to work and back.....still it was the best part of being at work!
skyerae
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by skyerae on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 6:23 pm

So very, very true  Twisted Evil
wrighty
Godly
Godly

Post by wrighty Yesterday at 3:48 pm

Made some progress with rear subframe on project. At the mo its  bodge taped together pending mate with welder.

Next pic shows the seat support frame which will be bolted to underside of flattrack seat unit.

And the seat (pad is on order) looks like this.

Colour scheme yet to be decided. I spoke to a local shop about my prefered scheme but when he suggested about £750 I guess I'll think again. 
Anyway both brakes serviced and front seems to work well with my cheap chinese levers and Goodrich front and rear.
Once back end is welded up the rest (lights, indicators etc) should be easy and while tank is away for paint I'll probably fit a pair of AndyC's stick coils. Of course prògress now depends on how much funding I can hide from the missus!
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider Yesterday at 7:21 pm

thats the problem i had with mine, my local paint sprayer wanted £500 to spray the tank,front mudguard and the seat unit it was then that i broke out the rattle cans and did the job for about the price of about 5 cans of paint and thats it in my avatar Neutral

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 24 Sep 2018, 8:06 am