You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

Share
avatar
ZekeVal
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Posts : 173
Location : Poitiers, France.

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by ZekeVal on Sat 19 May 2018, 7:00 pm

Wow! Hope you heal fast James Wink
Any explanation on your crash?
avatar
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic
Posts : 924
Location : Windsor

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by ANDYC on Sat 19 May 2018, 7:35 pm

Sorry to hear about your get off. Hope you recover soon James.
avatar
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1362
Location : dublin

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 20 May 2018, 12:24 am

Hopefully you have quick recovery...james welcome to broken wrist club...   Sad
avatar
Oafski
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Posts : 37
Location : Waltham Cross

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Oafski on Sun 20 May 2018, 10:25 am

Get well soon James.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2688
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 20 May 2018, 10:40 pm



With help from a working pair of hands the bikes back up and running! cheers cheers
avatar
fgclark123
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Posts : 144

My CB500 made friends with a fireblade at a local garage

Post by fgclark123 on Thu 24 May 2018, 11:22 pm

avatar
fgclark123
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Posts : 144

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by fgclark123 on Thu 24 May 2018, 11:30 pm

very sorry to here of the crash James, hope you and the bike get well soon.
avatar
shropshirewildman
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Posts : 26

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by shropshirewildman on Sat 26 May 2018, 3:56 pm

Just fitted new hel rear brake line and replacement bracket etc took awhile to bleed but sorted now. I haven't bothered up to now as I hardly ever use the back brake but it was binding so had to sort it.
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3890
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 26 May 2018, 5:27 pm

@shropshirewildman wrote:Just fitted new hel rear brake line and replacement bracket etc took awhile to bleed but sorted now. I haven't bothered up to now as I hardly ever use the back brake but it was binding so had to sort it.

On mine it seems to be a yearly or bi-yearly job, depending on how much crap has got in there.
avatar
motofan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 95
Location : Normandie, France

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by motofan on Sun 27 May 2018, 4:18 pm

Rode to Falaise, Jetwashed the bike as it was a wee bit dirty, then rode about fifty miles to dry it out. Took in lots of little "twiddly" roads of which there are loads here in Normandie with the advantage of only one car every couple of minutes!
The bike just goes better and better as I get used to it's foibles of which it has surprisingly few. Should have bought one years ago!
Hope you all enjoy riding yours' this summer as I anticipate enjoying mine; cheers, Dave.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2688
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 27 May 2018, 4:38 pm

Swapped out the master cylinder because of a seized bolt and fitteded the adjustable levers I ordered a month ago. Gave her a polish using my oil method and she looks good again.
Also ordered the rear caliper kit that @shropshirewildman said fit our rear caliper.
I'll report back with my findings.. BRA51955 https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=60&Ct=HA&SbCt=BA_15_60_HA_40
avatar
ZekeVal
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Posts : 173
Location : Poitiers, France.

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by ZekeVal on Sun 27 May 2018, 4:44 pm

Changed my clutch cable; the sheath of the old one was knackered.
Oiled the new one with engine oil. 
Now waiting for my torque wrenches and Carbtune to arrive to tackle the valve clearance and carb sync.
avatar
motofan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 95
Location : Normandie, France

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by motofan on Sun 27 May 2018, 5:21 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:Swapped out the master cylinder because of a seized bolt and fitteded the adjustable levers I ordered a month ago. Gave her a polish using my oil method and she looks good again.
Also ordered the rear caliper kit that @shropshirewildman said fit our rear caliper.
I'll report back with my findings.. BRA51955 https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=60&Ct=HA&SbCt=BA_15_60_HA_40

Looks like a bleeding good idea!
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2688
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 29 May 2018, 11:40 am

Fitted a cycle computer to mine today. Mainly for the accuracy in km's. There is 2 issues I've got, one is that it only reads upto 99.9kmh which is fine (62mph) the second is that the magnet for the pickup can't fit anywhere. So I've ordered a 6mm wide magnet and it'll get pushed into one of the disc mounting bolts. I've managed to calculate the circumference of my tyre to ensure accuracy. I'll mainly be using it for in towns where speed camera's (radar) are but also in italy where their national speed limit is only 56mph (90kmh)
avatar
stormbringer
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1294
Location : Aarhus, Denmark

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by stormbringer on Wed 30 May 2018, 7:33 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:Fitted a cycle computer to mine today. Mainly for the accuracy in km's.
??
You've got accuracy issues with the speedo?

Did you change front tyre dimensions, meaning the OE speedometer won't fit your setup or is the speedometer faulty?

I'm asking because mine is practically dead on target with a new front tire, increasing to +3% with a worn one.

As an alternative to the bicycle speedo with its ab-factory-limitations, a satnav usually comes with speed readout. Some (most?) even seem to know about speed limits where you are riding. Don't know about fining level in your local area, but here in Denmark one speeding ticket ~ price of a satnav. Assuming you don't go off the deep end, that is. If you do, your license to drive is endangered or even withdrawn.

And a satnav comes with an added bonus - it makes childs play of navigating, including those occasions where you just go riding without a plan. Auto-centered map with auto-updated NSEW-heading. Forget about folding paper maps to fit into the tankbag lid...

I once promised you guys a review of the TomTom Rider satnav series. Maybe I should go and actually do it?
avatar
stormbringer
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1294
Location : Aarhus, Denmark

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by stormbringer on Wed 30 May 2018, 8:09 pm

Fitted new, short, adjustable, milled, blue-coloured and absolutely gorgeous levers to the brake and clutch assemblies on my handlebar.

I like 'em being short - it actually reduces the handlebar's width, improving my filtering capabilities a bit.
avatar
ZekeVal
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Posts : 173
Location : Poitiers, France.

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by ZekeVal on Wed 30 May 2018, 9:10 pm

@stormbringer wrote:I once promised you guys a review of the TomTom Rider satnav series. Maybe I should go and actually do it?


Yup that would be grand Wink

@stormbringer wrote:Fitted new, short, adjustable, milled, blue-coloured and absolutely gorgeous levers to the brake and clutch assemblies on my handlebar.

I like 'em being short - it actually reduces the handlebar's width, improving my filtering capabilities a bit.

One word: Pictures !!  geek
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2688
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 31 May 2018, 9:33 am

@stormbringer wrote:
@Jameshambleton wrote:Fitted a cycle computer to mine today. Mainly for the accuracy in km's.
??
You've got accuracy issues with the speedo?

Did you change front tyre dimensions, meaning the OE speedometer won't fit your setup or is the speedometer faulty?

I'm asking because mine is practically dead on target with a new front tire, increasing to +3% with a worn one.

As an alternative to the bicycle speedo with its ab-factory-limitations, a satnav usually comes with speed readout. Some (most?) even seem to know about speed limits where you are riding. Don't know about fining level in your local area, but here in Denmark one speeding ticket ~ price of a satnav. Assuming you don't go off the deep end, that is. If you do, your license to drive is endangered or even withdrawn.

And a satnav comes with an added bonus - it makes childs play of navigating, including those occasions where you just go riding without a plan. Auto-centered map with auto-updated NSEW-heading. Forget about folding paper maps to fit into the tankbag lid...

I once promised you guys a review of the TomTom Rider satnav series. Maybe I should go and actually do it?

I noticed when I was riding last time that I was often holding people up even with knowing the mph/km conversion. but I'm also running a 70 profile tyre and not an 80 so it over reads. I worked out before that my speedo is 5% over reading but even so with satnav it's not 100% as it can't take into account elevation changes + they all have a deliberate error for their accuracy built in.
avatar
mikethebike
Squiddy
Squiddy

Posts : 19
Location : Kent

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by mikethebike on Thu 31 May 2018, 12:41 pm

Picking mine up from it's 60,000 mile service later on today. Had a few odds 'n' ends done to it while it was in the garage too.  New (second hand) right and left rear indicator mounts fitted - you may recall I said in my 5 years with a Tango orange diary entry that the left one had rotted away, so the indicator has been mounted to the rear mudguard on that side of the bike for the past six months.  The right bracket has just started to rust through at the top now as well, + the indicator stalk on that side has managed to crack itself in half over the past month or so, so has been held in place with regular re-applications of gaffa tape. I've had the shell on that replaced as part of the extra work too. 

The crash bars are now off as well (to be re-fitted at 64,00 miles, so around November time).  My mini summer project is to rub down and re-finish the bars with rattle cans and to try and tidy up the engine cases whist they are off too.  Might even treat myself to a touch up pen from RS Bike Paints and run around all the numerous stone chips she has picked up in the last 18 years as well.  The front forks could do with being tarted up too, but that might be a bridge too far! 

Meantime, I'll be selling a kidney to pay the rather large bill I'm facing this afternoon.  If you know anyone that is in need of one feel free to PM me... Laughing
avatar
stormbringer
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1294
Location : Aarhus, Denmark

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by stormbringer on Thu 31 May 2018, 9:52 pm

@ZekeVal wrote:
Yup that would be grand Wink

One word: Pictures !!  geek
Review will take some time to produce. I've ridden something like 30.000 km with TomTom Rider satnavs, the latest being the new 550. Install is a custom mount, setting the screen as low as I could possibly get it:

This yields a nice and tidy 'dashboard' with everything visible:



Milled handles - you wanted pictures:



Besides being adjustable and nice to look at, they are short! This means the handlebar-assembly becomes narrower. Like this:



Mirrors are chinese 9£ foldable elCheapos.
avatar
stormbringer
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1294
Location : Aarhus, Denmark

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by stormbringer on Thu 31 May 2018, 10:45 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote: even so with satnav it's not 100% as it can't take into account elevation changes + they all have a deliberate error for their accuracy built in.
Satnavs use GPS technology, operating in full 3D, meaning elevation changes can be included  when the CPU calculates velocity using data retrieved from the GPS subsystem. The NMEA spec specifies lots of things, including Speed over Ground and Altitude. AFAIK it's a matter of doing trigonometry and combine that with time measurements. Voila; true velocity. However, I do not know if mine operates with true velocity. Interesting. I may have to find an elevator to test that.
Not that I think it will matter. Most roads are <10% incline, meaning true velocity ~ horizontal velocity. Eg. 1/cos(15 degrees)= 1.035; 3.5% delta for a 15 degrees incline.

I'll believe satnavs have velocity filtering/smoothing built-in, but not a deliberate error. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Methinks they are safe to trust when it comes to speed indication.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2688
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 11:41 am

Sheps engine sliders/ protectors came today at a costly price of £45 considering I can now get 2 pairs for £50 from someone else but needs must..

Also I test fitted the bmw rear caliper parts and they're a perfect fit so I've updated this thread
http://www.cb500club.net/t5810-caliper-replacement-parts#54549

bikes going to be 100% sorted soon
avatar
Crash- Elmit
Godzilla
Godzilla

Posts : 246
Location : Rothwell, Nr Kettering

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 7:22 pm

polished my tank so i can see what the actual colour is. (I know it's green but it's faded and coated in road grime. my new radiator cowels are  now painted with Rover British Rracing green and do'nt look too bad.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Posts : 280
Location : Moffat

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 4:26 pm


What's the best way to tidy this grab handle or pillion bit up? Is it just an Allen bolt in as other side or any other idea? I took off the renntec and don't need a pillion handle either. Any idea of size of bolt offhand?
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1575
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Beresford on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 7:17 pm

Bollocks, bollocks, bollocks. I ran over an un-marked roadworks on Wednesday and now find both wheels are buckled. tyres (nearly new) still inflated but probable sidewall damage also.

Sponsored content

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Mon 16 Jul 2018, 4:03 am