You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

Share
avatar
tt fan
Godly
Godly

Posts : 66
Location : Cambridge

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by tt fan on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 12:51 am

Yeah - bit of shed envy going on here, i can tell you!!
avatar
mikethebike
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Posts : 20
Location : Kent

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by mikethebike on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 7:18 pm

Had to bump start the old girl in the pouring rain this morning as the battery had flattened over the weekend. Bloody battery is now on the Optimate overnight!  Followed that up with two very wet commute rides (with an eight hour work sized gap in between).  Rain has been biblical here today Crying or Very sad
avatar
cushdrive
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 8
Location : Sussex

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by cushdrive on Wed 02 May 2018, 9:10 pm

A couple of days ago I got a full service, checked valve clearances, new plugs, balanced carbs and fitted a new Silencer, as old one had a hole in it.

The bike is much nicer to ride with the new silencer, the flat spot at 4000 rpm has been reduced and it feels like its egging me on to go change gear later and go faster.

I popped out last night and rode much faster than I normally do.  I can't wait to get back out on it.
avatar
Oafski
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Posts : 38
Location : Waltham Cross

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Oafski on Thu 03 May 2018, 5:29 pm

Alistair at my local garage Chapple Motors in Hoddesdon where I take my car for the stuff I cant do myself, managed to get my broken stud out by welding a nut on the stub and gently persuading it out and then we fitted my new Delkevic  Exhaust system, so I am a very happy bunny.
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1595
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Beresford on Thu 03 May 2018, 7:52 pm

@Oafski wrote:Alistair managed to get my broken stud out by welding a nut on the stub and gently persuading it out




https://coub.com/view/e2jnw
avatar
Grarea
the 900
the 900

Posts : 291
Location : Cornwall

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Grarea on Thu 03 May 2018, 8:03 pm

Very Happy
avatar
r1ncew1nd
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Posts : 33
Location : Bedlington, Northumberland

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by r1ncew1nd on Sat 05 May 2018, 7:25 am

Went through the North East exhaust noise testing facility !

Also known as the Tyne Tunnel  Very Happy

The old girl passed with flying colours.

Steve
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2770
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 05 May 2018, 8:07 am

@r1ncew1nd wrote:Went through the North East exhaust noise testing facility !

Also known as the Tyne Tunnel  Very Happy

The old girl passed with flying colours.

Steve

Apart from the speed limited/speed camera North East exhaust noise testing facility, try going to the horse power and torque one. Turbopac's in Durham on saturday mornings do free power runs.

avatar
skyerae
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Posts : 188
Location : Deepest darkest Scotland.

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by skyerae on Mon 07 May 2018, 6:13 am

New BT45 front tyre fitted and mostly scrubbed in. Went down to the beachfront (Aberdeen) and had a meal and of course an ice-cream to finish it off and then a blast home. Looked at rear tyre and realised it was near the end of it's life, just as well I ordered a pair of the BT45's  Smile
avatar
Crash- Elmit
the 800
the 800

Posts : 250
Location : Rothwell, Nr Kettering

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Crash- Elmit on Mon 07 May 2018, 2:20 pm

fitted new pistons and seals in caliper along with new sintered pads from EBC, changed seal in right hand fork and put new oil in both
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2770
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 08 May 2018, 8:32 am

I went the very long way to the beach, rear tyre - pretty shredded but not showing cords yet, rear bearings yup you guessed clicking away nicely and the front disc.... well grease from the axle bolt is going all over that so I've got no brakes... makes for great fun Twisted Evil
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2770
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 08 May 2018, 3:08 pm

My box of parts came today, 3 sets of pads for the streetfighter and the rest are for the cb.


Front brake pads, and fluid changed today and even popped the pistons out to have a look at them.

The pad pin had seized in tight, after a hammer, alan key, fire and a few choice words still didn't come out. Managed to get it out using the vice and a socket allen key... and it only just came out - no way would it have come out otherwise.

Also degreased the front axle bolt and the inner wheel so hopefully the grease stops melting and going onto my disc.
avatar
wrighty
Rossi
Rossi

Posts : 59
Location : Market Deeping Lincs

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by wrighty on Tue 08 May 2018, 5:18 pm

Anyone know why when I open this thread it opens on the oldest entry (page 1) so to get to the latest entry (which is on page 7) I have to scroll through 7 pages (awkward on my ancient prototype tablet). The other threads load with latest entries at top of page 1. Is it something I can change?
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3910
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 13 May 2018, 9:50 am

@wrighty wrote:Anyone know why when I open this thread it opens on the oldest entry (page 1) so to get to the latest entry (which is on page 7) I have to scroll through 7 pages (awkward on my ancient prototype tablet). The other threads load with latest entries at top of page 1. Is it something I can change?

I don't know if it can be changed, but what I see/do this:



The '1 2 ... 6 7' tells you that there are 7 pages - I click on the '7' to go straight to the last page.

avatar
wrighty
Rossi
Rossi

Posts : 59
Location : Market Deeping Lincs

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by wrighty on Sun 13 May 2018, 10:23 am

Afraid it doesn't appear like that on my old abacus. It just shows "Page 1 of 7" and in normal script, not something that can be clicked on. Thanks anyway ET its a pain but not the end of the world. Anyway yesterday fitted new blue silicon hoses with new shiny jubilee clips to silver ally radiator. Also fitted the replacement water pump which AndyC provided. Next job should be replacement exhaust so i can run engine and check that side of things before i get into aesthetics. Cheers all.
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3910
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 13 May 2018, 10:52 am

@wrighty wrote:Afraid it doesn't appear like that on my old abacus. It just shows "Page 1 of 7" and in normal script, not something that can be clicked on. Thanks anyway ET its a pain but not the end of the world. Anyway yesterday fitted new blue silicon hoses with new shiny jubilee clips to silver ally radiator. Also fitted the replacement water pump which AndyC provided. Next job should be replacement exhaust so i can run engine and check that side of things before i get into aesthetics.  Cheers all.

Good work - certainly worth replacing those hoses while you are there. They are all starting to get to an age where they will start leaking or burst soon enough.

Did you buy a kit of hoses for the CB500 or just some generic silicone hose off ebay? (either way do you have a link?)

On a different note, which browser are you using? I'm using Firefox (which I would recommend), so if you download and install that then you should see the same things as me.
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1595
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Beresford on Sun 13 May 2018, 11:21 am

Have you tried going to the top right 3 dots menu and selecting " desk top site" ?
avatar
wrighty
Rossi
Rossi

Posts : 59
Location : Market Deeping Lincs

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by wrighty on Sun 13 May 2018, 1:15 pm

Beresford you clever person. I now have a whole new viewing experience! How much better is that? And ET the hoses are AS3 Performance, specifically for cb500 94 to 03. I bet if I try I could even work out how to post pictures and send pm's. (I am the original luddite. When i was at school we were still using scratchy pen nibs and an ink well!)
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3910
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 15 May 2018, 7:45 pm

@wrighty wrote:Beresford you clever person. I now have a whole new viewing experience! How much better is that? And ET the hoses are AS3 Performance, specifically for cb500 94 to 03. I bet if I try I could even work out how to post pictures and send pm's. (I am the original luddite. When i was at school we were still using scratchy pen nibs and an ink well!)

Glad you figured it out.

I bet these are the ones:

https://www.as3performance.co.uk/honda-cb-500-1994-2003-high-performance-silicone-radiator-hoses-blue/

https://www.as3performance.co.uk/honda-cb-500-1994-2003-stainless-steel-radiator-hose-clips-clip-kit/
avatar
cbcombo
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Posts : 21

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by cbcombo on Tue 15 May 2018, 9:33 pm

Finished the controls adaption on my project and fitted the radiator but bottom hose wrong so couldnt fill the system
avatar
wrighty
Rossi
Rossi

Posts : 59
Location : Market Deeping Lincs

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by wrighty on Wed 16 May 2018, 7:10 am

@eternally_troubled wrote:



@wrighty wrote:Beresford you clever person. I now have a whole new viewing experience! How much better is that? And ET the hoses are AS3 Performance, specifically for cb500 94 to 03. I bet if I try I could even work out how to post pictures and send pm's. (I am the original luddite. When i was at school we were still using scratchy pen nibs and an ink well!)





Glad you figured it out.

I bet these are the ones:

https://www.as3performance.co.uk/honda-cb-500-1994-2003-high-performance-silicone-radiator-hoses-blue/

https://www.as3performance.co.uk/honda-cb-500-1994-2003-stainless-steel-radiator-hose-clips-clip-kit/



They are indeed the hoses, the jubilee clips came from local diy store.
avatar
Oafski
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Posts : 38
Location : Waltham Cross

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Oafski on Wed 16 May 2018, 4:01 pm

Fitted the repaired Radiator Cowl, Not an unpleasing match with the side panel and the other side done as well. Next job will be the wheels and footrest hangers. Leaving the Engine until last, I really want to do it Black but to do it properly it needs to come out and I am wary given the well known seized front engine bolt problem and it is just cosmetic, so needs further thought.

avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2770
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 19 May 2018, 5:38 pm

My bike decided she didn't want to go on the dyno this morning so she launched me and herself half a meter in the air and 3 meters across the road.
AND... I'm supposed to be in europe in 3 weeks time touring
avatar
r1ncew1nd
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Posts : 33
Location : Bedlington, Northumberland

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by r1ncew1nd on Sat 19 May 2018, 5:46 pm

Ouch !

Whats the damage James?  Sprain, fracture, just bruising?

And what about the bike?

Steve
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2770
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 19 May 2018, 6:30 pm

@r1ncew1nd wrote:Ouch !

Whats the damage James?  Sprain, fracture, just bruising?

And what about the bike?

Steve




Both bones in my left wrist are broken, pulled my right hand and  pulled my left shoulder....

Bike damage is front mudguard, clutch lever pivot point and mirror sheared, front indicator rubber ripped, heated grip ripped, stator cover cracked in 2 places and leaking oil (unrepairable) ,side stand bolt, gear lever, rad cover, and topbox scuffed.
I have said that a topbox is the best crash protection and once again its earned its keep. Here's some photos of her https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArP4grxhMWOppwAlV-d6d4by--jv

Sponsored content

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Sun 19 Aug 2018, 11:55 pm