You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Rear wheel spacers, again

patod

Rear wheel spacers, again

Post by patod on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 1:26 pm

Ok, boys and girls...have a 97 CB500, with rear disc brake.
Rear wheel was cosmetically challenged, so found a good one on E-Bay Germany.(€25, plus €15 shipping, also got cush drive rubbers and cables cheap from the same people)
Also decided to replace the 8 and 11 year old BT45's with a set of Michelin Pilot Sports in 110/70 and 130/70. ( Ebay France €85, +€17 shipping)
Now its time to replace the wheel, but am having a senior moment re: the spacers, of which I have 3, 2 of which are all but identical( skinny ones) and one fat one. From earlier posts, I'm reading that the fat one goes on the sprocket side, and one of the skinny ones on the disc side.
And the remaining skinny one goes where? From looking at parts diagrams it looks like it goes behind the sprocket carrier, but if I do that, the carrier doesn't sit flush on the wheel....Help!
I imagine the answer is staring me in the face, but I'm not seeing it.

And while I'm there, my bike didn't have the large o- ring thingie on the sprocket carrier. Is it worth shelling out the €15/€20 for this?

And finally, if there's anyone needs a rear wheel, original mirrors or indicators, all a bit tatty but functional, they're yours, free, gratis, for nothing, as long as you can collect them from Cork in the ROI, or pay the shipping costs...
Jameshambleton

Re: Rear wheel spacers, again

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 5:22 pm

There is 3 spacers in total.
The longest one goes between the sprocket and the swingarm.
The flanged one goes inside the sprocket carrier bearing. With the flange on the inside.
The other widest and short-ish goes between the brake caliper hanger and the wheel.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 7:18 pm

Don't worry about the O ring there. It works just as well without it.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 7:42 pm

it does it was the first thing to drop off mine on its maiden voyage Smile
patod

Post by patod on Sun 25 Mar 2018, 8:40 pm

Sorted!
The "extra" spacer was the one that came with the new-to-me wheel and fell out while manouvering the wheel into place. Which explains why I ended up with 2 identical spacers..............how do you spell D-O-H???

Thanks to all for the words of wisdom.

So rear wheel sorted, time to tackle the front wheel later this week.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 25 Mar 2018, 8:45 pm

To prevent an extra doh moment on the front end - don't forget about the axle pinch bolt needs to be undone before that front axle will move, a mistake I've made a few times!! Rolling Eyes
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 3:45 pm

I'll disagree with others on the largish-O-ring-issue. It's supposed to keep out grit and water/salt from the sprocket carrier bearing. Usually, when Honda puts something somewhere, it's for a good reason. Yes, the bike will run without, but the reason for its reputation as 'bombproof' is little things like these.

15£ for the O-ring? Sounds like someone's trying to rip you off. I replaced mine as as it had broken when recently replacing my chain kit (ripping out and examining/cleaning the cush drive is - to me - part of that operation). No recollection of any 15£ items on the bill. Either try a proper Honda dealer or alternatively ebay. Here, 5pcs are 8.26£ incl p&p (guessing 61x2mm VITON rings will do - link and link and link).
patod

Post by patod on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 4:55 pm

http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-v2cvk/products/245285/images/260652/CB500SW_1998_F-12-1REARWHEEL%25282%2529__44077.1444409538.1280.1280.png?c=2

The part I was referring to is what Honda call a "noise arrestor" and its part no. 41212MY5731. If I have attached the right parts diagram, its no. 2 on that
Fowler's price this at €14.29 but their website says its no longer available.
Nutjob in Dublin have them for €9.16, even cheaper than CMS €9.50, but with the postage charge it'll be €13.41.

Anyways, the wheel is back on the bike, but I'll probably ipick one up at our local Honda dealer, and put it on in the next few days/weeks

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Jul 2018, 8:18 pm