You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Mirror bung

TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Mirror bung

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 11:45 am

The mirrors on my bike are doing my head in. I've always had problems with them either not tightening properly or the impossibility of staying in the same position for more than two miles. So, I'm giving up and going for bar end jobs. Is there a bung or screw with cover I can hide the unsightly remaining screw thread with?
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Re: Mirror bung

Post by skyrider on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 3:27 pm

it might be worth just visiting your local bike shop because the shop I used to go to years ago the new bikes came with bungs in and the mirrors were separate and in the crate and the mechanics just used to bin the bungs when they fitted the mirrors

and I know it might be bad practise these days but I have never used mirrors on a bike
Fair Weather Rider
the 800
the 800

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 3:57 pm

Just buy some black Blanking Grommets, pence.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 5:03 pm

I gave up with the oem reverse thread thing. Tighten, then pull the mirror stem towards you and keep doing it and adjusting slightly every time until you get it in the right place then it won't move anyone.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 5:54 pm

I use bathroom mirror screws. The type with a screw on chrome dome top. Just cut the screw to length and bed into some clear silicone sealant. It looks 'factory'.
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 8:23 am

@skyrider wrote:it might be worth just visiting your local bike shop because the shop I used to go to years ago the new bikes came with bungs in and the mirrors were separate and in the crate and the mechanics just used to bin the bungs when they fitted the mirrors

and I know it might be bad practise these days but I have never used mirrors on a bike

Thanks. Local bike shop's a considerable distance but I've got the MOT soon so have to drop by.

It made me take the mirrors off in a huff the other day. Is it an mot fail without? They can easily be put on for it of course.
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 8:27 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:I gave up with the oem reverse thread thing. Tighten, then pull the mirror stem towards you and keep doing it and adjusting slightly every time until you get it in the right place then it won't move anyone.

I don't know what the hell is going on. I got cheap ones and they broke. Then put originals back on with proper adapter and one is fine but tother will not align properly.  It'll tighten but ill be damned if my mirrors sitting on my lap.
TheWizardofOdds
the 900
the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 8:28 am

@Beresford wrote:I use bathroom mirror screws. The type with a screw on chrome dome top. Just cut the screw to length and bed into some clear silicone sealant. It looks 'factory'.

Cheers but I really don't like those. I've got problems I know.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 Aug 2018, 11:54 pm