You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Going somewhere this summer?

stormbringer

Going somewhere this summer?

Post by stormbringer on Thu 15 Mar 2018, 7:11 pm

I stumbled upon this bit of info from FEMA:

http://www.fema-online.eu/website/index.php/consumer-information/riding-abroad/

It might come in handy if you are planning on visiting mainland Europe.
davecb5002
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Re: Going somewhere this summer?

Post by davecb5002 on Thu 15 Mar 2018, 7:26 pm

Very useful site. Must admit I was not aware of some of the regulations. No excuse now Shocked Shocked
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Thu 15 Mar 2018, 8:53 pm

I thought you had to carry spare bulbs and 2 alcohol breath test kits in France and most other European countries. Also carry original documents of ownership/insurance/mot and breakdown cover.
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Thu 15 Mar 2018, 11:06 pm

I thought the breathalyzer thing was true for France too although I believe that rule may have gone back and forth once or twice. 

Definitely broken a few of these... no reflective strips on my helmet multiple times through France and I have filtered in Germany.. tut tut!

If filtering was illegal here it would wipe out quite a big 'pro' of bike ownership for me, imagine sat in stationary motorway traffic on your CB500 not being able to utilise the normally pretty wide gap between the vehicles... the temptation would be huge!
ZekeVal
Running out of unique names

Post by ZekeVal on Thu 15 Mar 2018, 11:10 pm

Nice bit of information there!

Regarding France: 
- alcohol breath test were supposed to become mandatory somewhere in 2016/2017, but it didn't happen, so no need for that.
- spare bulbs are not "mandatory" per se, but if a cop stops you because one of your lights isn't working and you can't change it right away, you can be fined. So always carry some (always a wise move anyways).
- secondary roads speed limit will go down from 90km/h to 80km/h on the 1st of july; this particular measure is very unpopular here, and there is still some hope they won't adopt it fully.
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Fri 16 Mar 2018, 10:32 am

What about filtering? I know technically illegal (except in the cities listed) but would people turn a blind eye to it if done sensibly? Pretty sure I've filtered following other bikes in France...
ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal on Fri 16 Mar 2018, 11:18 am

@ceejay wrote:What about filtering? I know technically illegal (except in the cities listed) but would people turn a blind eye to it if done sensibly? Pretty sure I've filtered following other bikes in France...

Yep, it's kind of a grey area in the regulation.
Basically, keep in mind everyone was doing it in Paris before it got allowed...
I do it with no issue, just using common sense and keeping a moderate speed.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 16 Mar 2018, 3:02 pm

@ZekeVal wrote:Yep, it's kind of a grey area in the regulation.

Didn't know it wasn't allowed when I was in France last time. I just followed suit and filtered, following the natives. Meaning 'filtering insanity!'. No problems at all. Actually, just the opposite, wiggling past GoldWings and Harleys stuck in Nice downtown traffic at high noon. See ya, fellas!

The CB is ace, sized only marginally bigger than the scooters. So fun, I got carried away and went looking for traffic mayhem to filter through Smile

Returning to the FEMA list, I don't believe it's complete. You've been warned.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 16 Mar 2018, 5:25 pm

I'll remembering the filtering it italy for next time, last time I was there is was 25c and I was stuck in traffic.

I will add though that also in Italy (I think might be a different country) if you've held your licence for less than 3 years you're restricted on speed limits. Think it might have been on speedingeurope.com or one of the aa of rac website
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Fri 16 Mar 2018, 6:56 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. I find the drivers in France very considerate to filtering bikes on the whole, probably more so than Germany where I feel like it kinda of goes against their 'do not break the rules' mindset.

Pretty sure in Italy even if it was against the law it wouldn't make any difference! I was in Naples recently, general traffic etiquette was probably the closest I've seen to SE Asia in Western Europe (helmets, stopping at red lights etc all seemed optional). I think southern Italy is very different to the north mind.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 16 Mar 2018, 7:31 pm

@ceejay wrote:Thanks for clearing that up. I find the drivers in France very considerate to filtering bikes on the whole, probably more so than Germany where I feel like it kinda of goes against their 'do not break the rules' mindset.

Pretty sure in Italy even if it was against the law it wouldn't make any difference! I was in Naples recently, general traffic etiquette was probably the closest I've seen to SE Asia in Western Europe (helmets, stopping at red lights etc all seemed optional). I think southern Italy is very different to the north mind.

AS far as I'm aware in Italy there is a loophole in the law which means you have to have a helmet on your person, not your head. That's why most wear them around their arms. In Italy the police encourance speeding in the alps from what I've heard first hand from a friend of mine but in towns and villages there are always speed camera's which are painted in bright orange.
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Fri 16 Mar 2018, 9:57 pm

Driving in Bordeaux within the last week and certainly everyone I saw on a bike was filtering quite happily. To be honest most French drivers seem to move over to allow those on bikes to filter more easily!!
motofan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by motofan on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 1:43 pm

In my experience here in France the standard of driving is as abyssmal as anywherelse, Too close, Texting etc. BUT, even on country lanes they'll move over to let a bike overtake! In queues of traffic in towns they'll usually leave the white line cleared for filtering bikes, fine until someone doesn't, again as anywherelse!
The spare bulbs thing, if you have a light out and are stopped by the Gendarmes if you can't fix it the vehicle is immobilised until fixed so it's common sense to carry spares.
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 4:08 pm

As you say biggest issues in France are driving too close and phone juggling whilst driving, which the population at large don't seem to consider an issue!! They are a lot more respectful than most countries of anything on 2 wheels - but like anywhere else they still have to see you, at the same time as looking at their phone!!

The other issue to be aware of is the long open straight enticingly empty approaching a French village in the middle of nowhere - beware the Gendarme with a speed gun!!!
motofan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by motofan on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 6:12 pm

True!! affraid
GollyGosh
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by GollyGosh on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 11:07 pm

I'm hoping to go to visit my son in France at some point this year.  I read somewhere on the interweb that in France, bikers 'Thank' considerate drivers by sticking a leg out though it didn't say which one.  I assume left leg would be safest, anyone know for sure?
motofan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by motofan on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 11:16 am

Right leg, you're overtaking on the left, if you wave your right hand you slow down ! Smile
ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 11:32 am

@GollyGosh wrote:I'm hoping to go to visit my son in France at some point this year.  I read somewhere on the interweb that in France, bikers 'Thank' considerate drivers by sticking a leg out though it didn't say which one.  I assume left leg would be safest, anyone know for sure?

Oh yes, we do that Wink 

To thank a considerate driver for moving over, or say "Hi" to a fellow rider you're overtaking,  slowly extend your right leg and leave your right foot hanging parallel to the ground for 2-3 seconds (I try to do it a bit slowly, otherwise it could be mistaken for an aggressive kick).

We also salute fellows riders coming in front with a "Vee" sign from the left hand (that one is the same everywhere I think). In the city, or if you'd rather keep both hands on the handlebar, a little nod is always appreciated.

Flashing lights is reserved to communicate a danger (or a mobile speed trap Twisted Evil).

We should make a thread on riders sign language Smile
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 11:44 am

As Motofan and ZekeVal say - right leg thankyou - any car driver that has pulled over or given you space will know you are thanking them.
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 12:47 pm

I have always done this/seen this done in England too!

For reasons given above - can't take my hand off the throttle  Very Happy
motofan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by motofan on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 4:43 pm

Aha but in the UK you can give a cheery wave with the left hand and no slowing down , hence the foot here, otherwise you overtake and then for thanks slow down in front of people, mixed messages and a bit dangerous.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 4:55 pm

Foot for saying thanks to people on the right and left hand for thanking people on the left.
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 7:25 pm

Yeah exactly, like when filtering and cars on your right moving over for you
GollyGosh
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by GollyGosh on Wed 21 Mar 2018, 1:25 pm

Great replies , thanks everyone Smile