You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

IDLE ADJUSTMENT

freeride
Running out of unique names

IDLE ADJUSTMENT

Post by freeride on Mon 05 Mar 2018, 9:06 pm

Can anyone guide me to the idle adjustment which I guess is a screw to adjust the amount of rotation of the cam and cables between the carbs but I can't see the screw. You don't have to take the tank off do you?
Thanks
tt fan
Godly
Godly

Re: IDLE ADJUSTMENT

Post by tt fan on Mon 05 Mar 2018, 9:32 pm

No mate don't think you have to take the tank off, but it is very fiddly. It is exactly as you say a screw that just 'stops' the sprung return of the throttle; but it has a yellow or white plastic X fitted to it so you can adjust it with your fingers - bottom of carb bowls almost between the two pointing upwards. Look at a pic of carbs on ebay once you recognise it you will spot it easier in situ. Hth
ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 10:40 am

As tt fan said, it's a bit fiddly, but doable.

Put your bike on its side-stand, and you should be able to access it from the right side of the bike, yellow plastic screw right between the 2 carbs, below them and facing down and a bit forward.

With the engine on and warmed up, turn clockwise to increase idle speed or anti-clockwise to decrease it, aim for 1200-1300 RPM.

Hope that helps.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 11:09 am

Doing it without burning your hands is a well practised art. 
Don't get it too hot, as long as it's off choke and idling ok.
On saying that you wouldn't need to adjust it if it was idling ok.
jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 11:51 pm

It's a right bugger to get at with your fingers. The screw has kind of serated/"star" shaped head, so I used a flat blade screwdriver to reach in there - a few gentle taps, still a bit fiddly, but gets the job done.
ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal on Wed 07 Mar 2018, 10:41 am

@jonny10 wrote:It's a right bugger to get at with your fingers. The screw has kind of serated/"star" shaped head, so I used a flat blade screwdriver to reach in there - a few gentle taps, still a bit fiddly, but gets the job done.

I've done that too in the past. Since I disassembled and cleaned the carbs a while ago, the screw is now much easier to turn by hand.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Jul 2018, 1:38 am