You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Coolant leak... How much trouble am I in

louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Coolant leak... How much trouble am I in

Post by louis_sutton on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:08 pm

Hi all,

Got to work today with a slightly overheating bike. Let it run for a bit to inspect it and noticed a coolant leak. It's coming from the cylinder head cover, right at the corner.

Any thoughts?
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Re: Coolant leak... How much trouble am I in

Post by louis_sutton on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 11:19 pm

Oil looks and smells fine. Coolant reservoir fine. Was running hour earlier and the fan didn't kick in so I'll check that. But as far as I'm aware coolant shouldn't be getting to that point of the engine
Fair Weather Rider
the 800
the 800

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:40 am

Is it leaking from the pipes on the thermostat, they are directly above the cylinder head, be wise to whip tank off and have a look, it may be that simple. study
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 5:56 am

Thanks mate. I'm damned if I know where it's coming from, hopefully not through the rubber gasket under the cylinder head cover!

It was overheating which was unusual. I'll leave it late to miss the traffic rush and get it home then as you say, tank off. I suppose if the radiator cap was broken the increase in pressure would attack and weak pipe joins above the head.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 7:54 pm

If it's coming out of the rocker cover then that's a first as there's none in there. I'm sure you'll be glad to know.
As the thermostat housing sits just above it with all the associated hoses it is a prime area for a leak to appear.
It may be just a clip needs tightening.
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 8:42 pm

Thanks Andy. Once the initial panic had subsided, I actually started thinking. It was pure coolant, not mixed with oil so can't have got there internally. Looks like a leak based on overheating, so it's on bricks until I get home tonight when I'll pull it apart. Primary check is coolant level, then fan, then into the clips, as something talked for it to overheat yesterday (even stuck in traffic, London wasn't exactly warm yesterday). I fixed the fan earth when I first got it with a cheap crimp so best check that!
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 4:50 am

Check the overflow pipe which goes from the filler neck to the expansion bottle. It may be clogged with crap if you're getting a leak up top, or as mentioned check the jubilee clips and stat housing o-ring. These are just symptoms though, I reckon your fan earth wire has come off and it's boiled over.
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 6:10 am

Not far from home... I'll be in the garage shortly..thank you for all your help and views everyone.
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 6:15 am

Might take some rum with me as it's cold
davecb5002
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by davecb5002 on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 6:33 am

Best suggestion of the day drunken :drunken:Good luck with finding the problem
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 6:57 am

louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 6:58 am

Needs must...
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:25 am

Well the rum must have worked..can I check I'm testing the fan correctly? The photo of the fan below has two circles. I've got a spare battery, positive being attached to the black/blue cable in the circled connector. The earth from same battery is being attached to the usual earth mounting point on the fan, also circled..absolutely nothing (multimeter on the battery shows it's good). Have I done something wrong?

louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:42 am

Ignore that. I turned my brain on. Fan works fine.
Fair Weather Rider
the 800
the 800

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 7:53 pm

I had to fit a new Rad thermo Fan switch in mine because fan was not cutting in. and that cured my problem, just as a pointer, the fan cuts in on mine just as the temp needle gets half way along the gauge.
You were lucky to gat that fan off mine had rusted away, would never been able to unbolt it.

Happy days Very Happy
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 11:50 pm

Fortunately I had to fit a new rad 2/3years ago.  Fan was rusted solid on the bolts, but I cut it off the trashed radiator and drilled the bolts out from the other side.  After a short time the friction, heat and direction of the drill helped remove them.  So new bolts, copper grease and a good coating of Kurust over most of the fan.  It still looks pretty grotty again now though.

Did you use an OEM replacement, or one of the cheaper aftermarkets?
Fair Weather Rider
the 800
the 800

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 12:09 am

@louis_sutton wrote:Fortunately I had to fit a new rad 2/3years ago.  Fan was rusted solid on the bolts, but I cut it off the trashed radiator and drilled the bolts out from the other side.  After a short time the friction, heat and direction of the drill helped remove them.  So new bolts, copper grease and a good coating of Kurust over most of the fan.  It still looks pretty grotty again now though.

Did you use an OEM replacement, or one of the cheaper aftermarkets?

I didn't buy a cheap Chinese switch (£5) on eBay, I paid £35 and that was eBay as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TourMax-Thermostat-Fan-Switch-fits-Honda-CB-500-1994-2003/141719934386?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
louis_sutton
the 800
the 800

Post by louis_sutton on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 12:48 am

Ah nice- thanks.  I hadn't even considered the dirt cheap imports, I was looking at the ones some dealers held, or David Silvers.  Might even consider a jaunt down to Southend as Essex motorcycles have one in stock.  I take it your switch has held up well?

Lot more cheerful now I've diagnosed the problem. I loathe electrics.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 18 Jul 2018, 6:22 am