You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Bad starting

Stevie Gimo
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Bad starting

Post by Stevie Gimo on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 1:59 pm

Having problems starting from cold, warm/hot no issues & rides faultless. Will turn on starter but will not just catch, if it does it runs for a few secs, then stops. Both cylinders reading 163 psi when checked, so don't think any issues there. Plugs are new, batt is good, although plugs look a little on the weak side. When it does finally catch it's as though it's running on 1 cyl initially, both plugs are firing strong when checked. Hellllpppppp
Jameshambleton

Re: Bad starting

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 3:47 pm

Sounds like your coils, might be on their way out. Check the spade terminals that come out of the loom that connect into the coils. I had a similar issue and one of the spades connections had very badly corroded and the spade came off when I attempted to remove them.

You can access these by removing the near side (sind stand side) rad panel and you can access them that way.
Stevie Gimo
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Stevie Gimo on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 5:02 pm

Thanks, i'll check those. Wouldn't it cause bad start at al times though?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 5:14 pm

Mine often decided to breakdown after I'd been riding for a few miles decided in the end to replace them with stick on coils and they've been good ever since.
Stevie Gimo
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Stevie Gimo on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 5:52 pm

What's a stick on coil?
skyerae
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by skyerae on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 6:49 am

I had the same issue and upon checking the coils using the Haynes manual specifications one was way out and not providing enough spark. Looked fine when spark plug removed and checked for spark but just not enough. Replaced both with parts from Fowlers (as both were over 23 years old then) and no issues since.
Stevie Gimo
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Stevie Gimo on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:52 pm

Ok, checked al the readings with a multi meter, all seemed ok. Whilst tank off checked the operation of the choke which worked ok. I have noticed that the choke lever has a large range of free movement, before it actually moves any linkages. When the cable starts to feel tension & moves the linkage it's the very last portion of the entire movement that begins to operate anything. I've found so far that if I use full choke it will never start, very hard with 1/2 choke too, it just chugs & chugs but fails to fire. If I give it around no more than 1/4 choke & don't touch any throttle it fires & runs ok, the choke can be pushed off in less than a minute. I bought the bike last summer & being garaged it never needed choke to start, I need to use it now in cold weather so only just come across this issue. As it stands I can start it every time now, although the choke operation does seem a little odd, it's almost like a switch in it's operation on / off.
Anyone else have the same temperamental choke issue?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 20 Oct 2018, 12:18 am