You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Time to change?

Hcb
Godly
Godly

Time to change?

Post by Hcb on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 10:42 am

Hi People. (Sorry for my English)

My old CB500 has been with me since 2008. Many years giving me satisfactions. Currently, it continues doing it. But, I am 38 years old, and a lot of back pain.

When I look at my motorcycle, I do not only see a motorcycle, I see many memories and good times .. But I also see rusty parts, many things to repair, and many others that have to be changed.

Is it time to change? On my last routes, the wind in my helmet is unpleasant, even with a high windshield.  However, that is not the biggest problem, honestly.

As some of you know, my CB500 is modified. It has a high handlebar, for a more comfortable posture, and a gel seat. To give you an idea .. It's like driving a Yamaha Special 250, but with the power of a 500.

And this is my dilemma:

What motorcycle to buy? I have seen a beautiful XJR 1300, but they say that it weighs too much, and that is not good for the back .. Is this true?

On the other hand, I have other options, like the CBF 1000 or CBF 600. These bikes ensure some comfort, and aerodynamic protection but ... The aesthetics is very boring.

I need a bike that I like aesthetically, (similar to the CB500), with power, ability to travel, and to protect from the wind.

Difficult!! Any ideas?

(The XJR 1300 es incredible beautiful)

Thank you all
Jameshambleton

Re: Time to change?

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 12:04 pm

Sounds stupid but have you tried the cb500s.
As for the xjr1300 try it and see what you think
Hcb
Godly
Godly

Post by Hcb on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 12:46 pm

Hi James.

As i wrote .. I prefer something more modern. Having a cb500s would have advantages, but in the long term, I would have the problems that i have now.

About XJR 1300, is not easy try this motorbike on a dealer.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 1:42 pm

How about yamaha tracer 700...has twin cylinder engine, ment to be very good if your after somthing new
I also have cb500s gives more weather protection too
Hcb
Godly
Godly

Post by Hcb on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 6:13 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:How about yamaha tracer 700...has twin cylinder engine, ment to be very good if your after somthing new
I also have cb500s gives more weather protection too

The Tracer is the new version of the TDM 900. I had the TDM, and i´ll never repeat. I hate the trail bikes.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 6:26 pm

Have you considered a Deauville? It seems to answer many of your issues.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/nt700v-deauville/1998/
hh_12345
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by hh_12345 on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 8:17 pm

Classic bike looks + wind protection is not very appealing.

What about the  yamaha fazer fz-6s? I could live with it, even though I share your taste for naked bikes.
tt fan
Godly
Godly

Post by tt fan on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 8:48 pm

CBF1000 you mention is supremely comfortable, and a very competent all rounder. Some say the early ones were ugly but i've grown to like mine. I think it is one of few bikes that look better with top box and panniers fitted. If you have a dicky back i wouldn't fancy moving an XJR around! Just my 2p
Hcb
Godly
Godly

Post by Hcb on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 12:17 pm

Hi.

The honda deauville, looks like a very comfortable bike, but, it also seems complicated and heavy.Also, in my opinion, it's pretty ugly.

About CBF1000. Yes, the CBF1000, seems to be all I need. It would be the logical choice (also the CBF 600 would be a very respectable option).

It is obvious that there is no bike that does everything perfectly, so I will have to choose, but, the XJR 1300 has stolen my heart.

Difficult, very difficult.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 1:13 pm

All those bikes weigh 50+ kgs more than the CB500. And are much more complex and expensive - but it's your money.............
Hcb
Godly
Godly

Post by Hcb on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 1:41 pm

@Beresford wrote:All those bikes weigh 50+ kgs more than the CB500. And are much more complex and expensive - but it's your money.............

Yes Bareford.. And something important.. My CB500 works perfect, and i dont need another bike, but... you know, maybe is the need for something new.

I recognize that it can be a whim.. Crying or Very sad
Hcb
Godly
Godly

Post by Hcb on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:17 pm

Well guys, after thinking a lot, in my opinion, i think the versatility of the CB500 is formidable .. The things that I will do with the XJR will also be able to do with the CB500, even more things.

So, I have decided not to buy the XJR.

In my opinion, we have the most balanced bike ever built. The problem is that the modern versions are not as balanced, or have less power, or are more uncomfortable.

The user of the old CB500 will have problems to buy something similar.
davecb5002
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by davecb5002 on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:51 pm

Good decision, be hard pushed to find a better all rounder than the  CB500 except for long distance touring, where the VFR wins hands down
Hcb
Godly
Godly

Post by Hcb on Thu 01 Mar 2018, 10:16 am

I still try some nice bikes. Within a week I will drive a triump bonneville t100.

Sometimes I think that the CB500 is the perfect bike, and that no other will satisfy me.

Will this be true?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 03 Mar 2018, 11:44 am

@Hcb wrote:Within a week I will drive a triump bonneville t100.
It'll be interesting to hear your opinion of the Bonneville. It is heavier that the CB500 and not very powerful, but it is supposed to be what americans call a "sweet ride"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Jul 2018, 1:41 am