You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

What breaks first if you keep un-twisting the throttle?

fgclark123
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

What breaks first if you keep un-twisting the throttle?

Post by fgclark123 on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:19 am

Hi there,

I recently removed and replaced the grips, and whilst replacing I used the method of twisting the grips onto the bars.

The throttle side is slightly thicker, owing to a plastic sheath facilitating the sliding motion of the throttle.

This made it harder to jimmy the grip on, and whilst twisting it back and forth, somehow the plastic sheath gave a sharp snap, as if I had over-untwisted it.

Since then, I have noticed a slight wobble on the handlebars at various speeds and revs, I wonder if it is connected.

Thanks for any suggestions, slightly worrying development there.

Ps jimmy the grip - good name for a comic bok villain...
Jameshambleton

Re: What breaks first if you keep un-twisting the throttle?

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 8:25 am

Might be the switchgear retaining pin, might be you've snapped one of the throttle cables, might be you've cracked the throttle tube.

As for the wobbling it'll be unconnected and most likely tyre wear you're feeling (especially if you're running bt45's). The heated grips are a bigger diameter so you'll likely feel this more so than with the standard grips.
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 7:09 pm

Nice one "Jimmy"! If I was you I'd remove the two crosshead screws holding the throttle halves together and see what you broke. Then I would replace it, if there is a loose piece of plastic in there it could jam the throttle open with hilarious results. Not for you, I mean for bystanders, for you not so! Check it out.

Perhaps the wobbling is something you notice more if the twistgrip can move more due to being broken?

To replace the rubbers I either spit copiously on the inside or lube it with dilute washing up liquid then hit it on with the palm of my hand, the air trapped inside the bar keeps the rubber rigid enough to push on.

Dave.
geoffnorfolk
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by geoffnorfolk on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 11:34 am

....it's also  worth soaking the grip in really hot water as well
fgclark123
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by fgclark123 on Sat 03 Mar 2018, 10:26 pm

Update on this - the snap sound was just the plastic housing of the moving parts giving way so that the throttle motion over-extended, but nothing in there actually broke. It just snapped forward where it doesn't belong, and seems ok.

as for the wobble - bar end weights. Since removing them the wobble, since putting new ones in, solved.
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 1:59 pm

That's a good result then! When plastic parts go snap I always fear the worst. 

Who would have thought that the bar-end weights would have had such an effect? 

Glad all is OK, cheers, Dave.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 17 Nov 2018, 11:38 pm