You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Help

Jameshambleton

Solved Help

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 5:58 pm

So I've replaced the loom, left and right switchgears, and I'm still getting the engine cutting out.

The lights dim and go off when the rear wheel is moved - the positions which it happen are inconsistent.
When they fully go off, I pull in the clutch and then they turn back on. I've tried disconnecting the neutral switch and that didn't make a difference.

I've changed the solenoid, cleaned the main ground, cleaned up my additional ground, checked the fuses. I've found this issue mainly only occurs when my lights are turned on, and to resolve it while I'm riding I switch off the lights and for the most part it runs mainly ok.

I have tried a different ignition switch, different clocks and the issue still remains, checked the fuses, changed loom and both switch gears and the solenoid. I currently have no idea on where to even start with this and I need to travel about 300 miles tomorrow to get to work (including a ferry). Any replies even if they sounds stupid will be greatly appreciated
Crash- Elmit
Godzilla
Godzilla

Solved Re: Help

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 7:12 pm

James have you tried a different CDI unit?
davecb5002
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by davecb5002 on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 7:35 pm

I would second the comment made by crash-elmitt. Try the cdi. The strange thing is that your lights dim when you turn the rear wheel affraid affraid Best of luck with that and having to do it in a hurry.
motofan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by motofan on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 8:06 pm

Hi James, the side stand, clutch and neutral switch are interlinked via the diode aren't they? Could it be something related to that?
What's connected to the rear wheel to influence the current in the circuit? Bizzare, wish I knew more to offer a solution, good luck!
Dave.
motofan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by motofan on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 8:27 pm

Change all the fuses for new ones, I have one here I removed from my bike, looks good, nothing melted but is infinite resistance with the meter!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 8:58 pm

Thank you all very very much for the suggestions. I've managed to find the most unlikely solution.....

There is a bad ground, the only real ground. The one from the Engine going to the battery. This is only the real ground as this is also the one that the frame goes via. I've run a (no less than a mains 230v earth cable) wire from the seat lock to the battery terminal and that has solved all my issues.

This issue must have been slowly occurring for months, it still doesn't explain all the weirdness that happened but never the less it's now sorted out.

This is the video of the rear wheel affecting the electrics. The brightness of the light was actually the light rather than the affect of the camera https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArP4grxhMWOpo1RWmnHCJEnP6RN5

And this is of the clutch lever operating the lights and indicators https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArP4grxhMWOpo1X9k_uTvfWgjOjk
davecb5002
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by davecb5002 on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 9:12 pm

Well glad you got it sorted Smile Smile
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 9:25 pm

@davecb5002 wrote:Well glad you got it sorted Smile Smile

Yeah, it's not fun when you're in the outside lane on the motorway in the rain and then the engine dies. Only solution was to turn off my lights so the engine would run, then hope it would run with sidelights so the rear light would be lit up.
motofan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by motofan on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 10:40 pm

Nice one, bravo!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 11:45 pm

Glad you got a switch, James. I have one but on the wrong side of the briny. If the bike pups on you when you are over on this side, you have my number and I have a flat trailer so I could do a rescue if necessary.
motofan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by motofan on Mon 12 Feb 2018, 9:40 am

James, well done, the root of the problem is, I'm sure, the corrosion problem you UK guys have on the engine mounts which will insulate the engine from the frame. All that voodoo with the back wheel will have been the engine earthing through the chain!
Dave
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 12 Feb 2018, 10:14 am

good going james, electrickery is a weird and wonderful thing
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 12 Feb 2018, 6:54 pm

@Beresford wrote:Glad you got a switch, James. I have one but on the wrong side of the briny. If the bike pups on you when you are over on this side, you have my number and I have a flat trailer so I could do a rescue if necessary.

Thank you very much, my breakdown cover will cover me for NI but not ROI afaik, need to read up on my breakdown policy. I'll certainly be in touch at some point, heading for to see Wornsprockets on Saturday. I'll be free every sunday and every other saturday.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Jul 2018, 12:18 am