You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Carb icing

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Carb icing

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 6:09 pm

Both my cb's cb500v and cb500sy..have been running great but this week both bikes on different days were like they were both like running out off fuel.. and power dying then running ok again after little while this happened both bikes this week on very cold days, could this be carb icing and yes i know there ment to have carb heaters also in them?
stormbringer

Re: Carb icing

Post by stormbringer on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 7:12 pm

It definitely could be carb icing. However, as you mentioned, with carbs having internal heating (afaik), this should not happen. Often.

Previously I've ridden an awful chinese thing during winter and it was always doing exactly as you described. Meaning when the engine stalled, I'd give it a minute to transfer warmth, melt the ice and then restart. Slightly scary when you don't know what's happening and why, plain annoying otherwise.

My CB never does this. Not that I do much winter riding, but when I do, it doesn't.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 7:35 pm

The carb heating thing is merely a token gesture really. 
The only area for the heat to transfer to the carb is very small and I can't see it being very effective. 
We just have to be glad that it's not really needed here very often .
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 7:52 pm

It's a direct feed from the pump so it should prevent it, equally I've ridden in stupid temps and never had this issue. Whatvair filterare you using  . Well have to see next Saturday and see what we can find
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 9:02 pm

Both on standard airfilters

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 23 Sep 2018, 1:12 pm