You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

buying a cb 500

davecb5002
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Re: buying a cb 500

Post by davecb5002 on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 7:47 pm

NO I AM NOT BIASED IN ANY WAY TOWARDS YELLOW drunken drunken
motofan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by motofan on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 8:11 pm

I'm no fashionista, saw this one, looks nice, like others, I do prefer mine, red, look for one that's being ridden regularly.
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 8:22 pm

My sincere apologies for insulting any banana riders - sorry I mean beautiful yellow bikes!!! It does look from the photo as though he spends more time polishing it than riding it!!!
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 4:27 pm

On colours Davecb5002 - my limited understanding of bikes is that red ones are the fastest!! Are yellow ones even faster than red ones - I may have to reconsider my preconceptions confused
Old Wobbly
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Old Wobbly on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 4:46 pm

Hi there.
Just ask yourself...Would you buy a yellow Ferrari?

Thought not....

I'm hideously biased cos my CB is red.....

However if the man likes yellow, it's still a CB regardless of colour or alleged speed.....Very Happy
davecb5002
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by davecb5002 on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 5:36 pm

It is a well kept secret that the yellow bikes are much faster.
The other secret is they are self cleaning, your comment that the guy spent more time polishing than riding is false. They clean themselves  cheers cheers

I have owned a couple of red VFR, went to the Dutch Moto GP a few years ago and we spent over an hour in the bike parking area trying to find the bike.

IF it had been yellow would have picked it out half a mile away, so YELLOW IS BEST cheers drunken
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 6:47 pm

Faster, self cleaning, no need to remember where I parked it (I live in France and own a silver Renault - its a nightmare) - I may have to change my search parameters
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:49 pm

There must be no love for racing green colour i quite like it.but moody blue nice on my sy also
Oafski
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Oafski on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 11:31 am

Yellow attracts more insects ! Very Happy
davecb5002
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by davecb5002 on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 2:40 pm

The insects are one of the YELLOW secrets. They wear little socks impregnated with polish and crawl all over the paintwork bringing a brilliant clean shine Cool Cool
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 3:34 pm

OK you win - I am going to look at yellow CBs as well - I had better find the next bike I want to look at to buy pretty quick before this thread gets out of hand. Are you sure there are no red insect bike cleaners!!!? Very Happy
davecb5002
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by davecb5002 on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 4:08 pm

That is  the end of silly colour comments. On a more serious note the yellow bike does look quite tidy in the picture you posted,but not everyones choice. are there many bikes for sale around Bordeaux ??
Believe it is quite cold there at present Sleep
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 5:24 pm

minus 7 when I took my youngest to school at 0830 - definitely chilly - but stunning - beautiful blue skies, not a cloud in sight!!

Pickings in my area around Bordeaux/Gironde seem to be pretty slim - got my eye on one that is advertised - but either his communication skills are lacking or he is not sure whether he wants to sell it or not!! We will see. Waiting for photos to try and get a better idea of condition (1 hour 45mins away!!).

There are a lot more for sale north of Paris/Normandy/Lille areas. A fair few down the French eastern borders, into the Alps, and around Marseilles, but SW France seems to be a CB 500 Twilight Zone ( or they all love them and don't want to sell!!). There aren't that many bikes on the roads, apart from kids on 50cc starter bikes in the towns, but it is total biking heaven. Out in the countryside miles of well surfaced roads through the country, loads of good straights and twisties and hardly any traffic - I suspect the only problem I will have when I get my bike is complacency, when you only meet 1 oncoming car a month!!

Trying to stay patient Mad
mikethebike
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by mikethebike on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 6:29 pm

Front wheel bearings last nearly 60,000 miles on orange ones.  Just saying. Very Happy
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 6:57 pm

@Old Wobbly wrote:Hi there.
Just ask yourself...Would you buy a yellow Ferrari?

Thought not....

I'm hideously biased cos my CB is red.....

However if the man likes yellow, it's still a CB regardless of colour or alleged speed.....Very Happy
well redgate corner used to be full of ducatis and guess what colour they were just don't know which track it was
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 10:16 pm

Well the hunt continues!! I have decided to widen my search. There is just nothing doing with both private sellers and dealers within a 2 hour radius and most of the dealers do a French equivalent of a teeth suck and "we don't see many of them mate - only the new ones" ( the French equivalent is basically a deadpan "non"!!).

So on Sunday I am taking an 8 hour round trip (I know!) to see what seems to be a genuine (I know!) bike that meets all my wants with little or no compromise - after the colour discussion - its a black one!! Its a 2002 S version (I basically change my mind every day whether I want an S or naked - so hopefully on Sunday I will want an S version!!). Km equivalent of 19000 miles and is (I know!!) in mint condition. Owner is its second owner from new and he has given me the details of the first owner. Owner is 64 developed arthritis and can't ride anymore although he says he keeps it running, etc. Its about €500 euros more than i wanted to spend - but everything I've seen I would have had to spend at least that much to sort them - so fingers crossed!! Owner is not a dealer despite the photo.
tt fan
Godly
Godly

Post by tt fan on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 10:32 pm

That's more like it - Tidy
Good luck
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 10:57 pm

Thanks - fingers crossed for Sunday!!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 03 Mar 2018, 7:16 am

Presumably, that picture was taken at the dealer when rhe existing owner purchased it. I hope it still looks as good today.

It looks very nice. Needs a fender extender though.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 03 Mar 2018, 9:10 am

I have cb 500v and cb500sy. The s is better on fuel and better wind protection...s version is like marmite...every day use  maybe s is better on motorways but i prefer look of naked v...theres not much in difference really
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Sat 03 Mar 2018, 10:23 am

Fender extender is probably my second purchase after the bike!! The photos were at the dealer when he bought it. Story is 64 year old born again bought it 2 years ago and since has only done 350km after finding too uncomfortable to ride with arthritis problems!! He says has kept it turned over but will have to see effects of probably being sat for a bit in a garage.

I have had a constant argument with myself over naked and S version - I like both - I might buy 2!!!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 03 Mar 2018, 10:30 am

I like both like i said not much in it, both great bikes handy havin two .one day s wouldnt start i jumped on v and went to work
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Sat 03 Mar 2018, 11:07 am

Constantly torn - my last bike was a 1992 CBR 600F - so I am well used to a bike with a fairing (and the look of a bike with a fairing). I also spent many years on army bikes (all naked) hanging on by my fingernails over 60mph!! (Riding a naked bike in baggy combat clothing is an experience not to be missed!!) But I think getting a bit retro and liking the look of a naked bike is part of advancing years and the acceptance that curling myself around a CBR now is not really an option!!!

Have to say (not sure if this is sacrilege on this site) but if I can talk the Mrs into it in a couple of years - I really like the look of the new Triumph T100 for a second bike - I suspect I will now be banned by the administrator!!
tt fan
Godly
Godly

Post by tt fan on Sat 03 Mar 2018, 11:23 am

I did wonder how many parts are actually different between the S and naked models. Obviously bodywork, clocks, but tank where it meets rad scoops? Frame really different? Someone mentioned front engine mounts, someone else steering head angle. Can those who have ridden / owned both 'feel' the difference. Interesting that the racers seem to favour the naked version when building their track bikes.
Have to say condition would be more important to me than the naked over S thing (particularly as a small screen is available) and that one does look good...
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Sat 03 Mar 2018, 12:52 pm

Have to agree - for me condition was most important factor over S or naked CB - hopefully this will be a good one - with an 8 hour round trip to see it tomorrow - I'll be spittin feathers if it isn't any good!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Jul 2018, 10:57 am