You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

buying a cb 500

hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Re: buying a cb 500

Post by hovis on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm

Hi motofan - many thanks for the heads up. Apart from the colour (got to be honest this is my lowest prority, but even so would prefer a black, red, then blue - but for the right bike as long as it isn't a polka dot pink respray will take anything) this is pretty well what I am looking for - may even be willing to pay a bit more!! Only problem is it is a 12 hour round trip from me as I am down near Ste Foy la Grande between Bordeaux and Bergerac!! I am definitely up for travelling (will have to be) but this might be a bit far in case it turns out to be a bit ropey - but many thanks for the shout!!

By the way been thinking about CTs - willing to compromise - if they just had it for used bikes only as a condition of sale it passes a CT, might make me more willing to take a 12 hour trek to get the bike I want!!! Of course sellers will put their prices up to take account - swings and roundabouts!
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:12 pm

Another question - may be alternative way of buying - I see a CB 500 listed on UK Ebay at the moment with Motorcycle Giant who state the do worldwide deliveries. I have asked them what their delivery costs are to France, but has anyone heard of them or had any experience of them. Thanks
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:20 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB-500-1997-18k-very-clean-condition-fully-serviced-new-mot/152877636859?_trkparms=pageci%3Afd53e173-1752-11e8-a331-74dbd1807d33%7Cparentrq%3Aba6431641610aa1a2daede2cfffcf4cc%7Ciid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236

Bike in question
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:53 pm

Hovis, look on Leboncoin for CB500, click the box for in the title only, click motos, and autour de moi however many kms your prepared to travel or regions voisines. I found over 100 adverts but all over!
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 7:38 am

Thanks Motofan. Yeah there are a fair few on Leboncoin and some I would be interested in if they weren't so far away. Fingers crossed something comes up within a reasonable travel distance fairly soon!!
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 11:27 am

Hi all - back again with more question related to both a specific bike and for my general education. Not sure what to make of this one: First question: it has gas rear suspension. Never had experience of such a setup - any additional things I should be looking at with gas suspension, is it a good or bad thing? Also the handlebars seem to have a strengthening brace across them not really sure why or what this would suggest about the bike - maybe used for racing?! Any comments as always gratefully received!!!
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 5:40 pm

Hovis, it's been modded not I think for the track but by someone for the road, as young guys like to do.

No rear mudguard and an illegal numberplate.
non-standard indicators, question of taste....
sabot under the frame, taste again
nice seat! And nice paint!
the bars are standard replacement trail bike items, track bikes have lower ones.
exhaust looks"sporty" i.e. good for annoying your neighbours or attracting the Gendarmes.
If the suspension units are in good condition then they should be as good,if not better than standard.
For my money I prefer standard bikes, that one looks good but how has it been treated (thrashed) and maintained?
In the final analysis it's if the bike is mechanically sound and if you like it's modified look.

There's my twopenn'orth, happy searching!
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 8:50 pm

Got to say - I'm with you I much prefer a standard type bike, as I say I was not sure what to make of the bike and although it sounds as though it might be in decent nick don't really think it is for me (maybe getting a bit long in the tooth for the sporty look!!) - it was more a question of really that I have not really come across a gas suspension and don't really know the pros and cons - thanks for the input.
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 9:31 pm

Well next one in the firing line - bit of a change in the way forward. This has been sat for 2 and a half years - now at a dealer who I suspect just wants rid!! 650Euros, done 28,000 km dealer says needs everything looking at - but looks in decent nick!!! Exhaust needs looking !!
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 11:22 pm

That looks good. It all depends on the cost to 'look' at it . Could be a good buy if you are able to do the work yourself, 28k is not a lot for these bikes.
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 11:30 pm

Well - its an hours drive through rolling French countryside with the Mrs (to be honest great route for a ride!!) so we might as well have a look - I am not exactly a mechanical genius but hopefully we can hook it up to a decent battery and see if the electrics are OK - I am guessing it will need oil and fuel changing before we even try and start it up, so fingers crossed that it looks OK, and if he will take 500€ all the better!!
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 11:47 am

Well the search continues, the "good state" the advert referred was its tyres and fairing, which were pretty good! Other than that: forks pitted and rusted, swing arm totally rusted, front and rear bearings knackered, chain and sprockets needed changing, all rubber (indicator arms) rotten, brakes pads non existant and discs knackered ........ that was without checking electrics, carbs,etc - I don't mind a project, in fact I suspect I will get one, but not sure I want to chuck everything but the tyres and fairing in the bin and start again!!!

Hopefully 3rd viewing lucky!!
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 1:58 pm

Buggah!
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 2:10 pm

Not sure if the Mrs is going to pull the plug on this one!! From the cheap and cheerful to the expensive - this one is up for €2290 which is a bot more than I was hoping to pay - 2001, with 54000km and I will need to pay €160 on top to get it delivered as it is about 14 hours there and back - but it does look nice!!! Am thinking it over.......
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 5:30 pm

Is there an independant body who can check bikes over here like the AA in UK?
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 7:43 pm

Not really sure - have to look into it - this is my concern he describes it as being in beautiful condition, and it does look good in a photo! Trouble is not sure if his beautiful will be the same as my beautiful - have asked him for some specific detail on state of exhaust, brakes, forks, etc and specifically any rust or dents and where -see what he comes up with and take it from there...
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 7:47 pm

That works out at £2156.10 sterling. Rather rich even for a good one, I think, for a bike that is at least 15 years old. About £1000 too much I estimate by prices here. Particularly as you'd be buying blind and the devil is in the details.
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 7:53 pm

Thanks Beresford - struggling with it as well!! Although french second hand market is far more pricey than UK for everything - bikes included. A bit like UK it's also cheaper up north in France as well!! So down here it seems to get something that it is even worth having a look at you are talking around €1500 (and most of those are rough). But you are right,  as a Yorkshireman at heart thinking about spending €2500 on something I haven't even seen is giving me the sweats!!!
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:19 pm

Keep looking, spring is a way off yet.
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:37 pm

Too True - Snow and -6 degrees forcast for next week - so no rush!!
Old Wobbly
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Old Wobbly on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 1:59 pm

Hi there
Just a few words of encouragement...keep going. None of the ones you've looked at so far are really what you're after. The last one in black looked lovely....but...still at least 15 years old, so unless you really give it the once over in person and ask politely about service history and receipts, it's a bit of an non starter. Cosmetically lovely bikes with low mileage can give you unexpected problems like running smoothly on only one cylinder at idle...yes really! This kind of fault is due to a partially gummed up carb and can be a bugger to diagnose and fix without taking significant chunks of the bike apart.
So in summary, don't worry too much about mileage, it's all about the actual condition, well maintained and mostly unmodified, or sensible mods that you'd want. You can always change it to suit it yourself but reversing a p.o's bodges can be expensive and frustrating. I'm sure something will turn up that works for you.
Bonne Chance!
Alex
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 2:20 pm

Thanks Alex, good advice and morale boosting - can get frustrating and am trying to stop the urge to get something I don't really want just to get something!!!

I'm pretty sure the bike for me will turn up - just need some patience!!! Thanks again....the search continues...
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 2:48 pm

@wrighty wrote:Just caught up with this thread. I have the complete fairing with headlight, instruments,  indicators etc ready to bolt on and plug in. Its black and from my 2002 cb500s flat track project. Its black. If anyone's interested i'm near peterborough. Pm me.
Dave. A public thank you for the fairing. Really good condition and excellent delivery service.
Very Happy
hovis
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by hovis on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 6:39 pm

If I wanted a yellow one - this looks in nice nick - up your neck of the woods Motofan if you wanted another one. 1998, 48k and €1500 - so good looking ones are out there - just not sure I had riding a banana in mind!!!
davecb5002
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by davecb5002 on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 7:02 pm

Riding a banana confused confused How dare you. The yellow model S is at least 20 miles an hour faster than all the other BORING colours Very Happy Very Happy At least you can be seen,even in the dark

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 19 Sep 2018, 6:42 pm