You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

CB500 best all-rounder ? Vintage versus newer.

joeloss1

CB500 best all-rounder ? Vintage versus newer.

Post by joeloss1 on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 6:59 pm

Back to biking again (age 59) and I can find few bad ratings for the (1990s) CB500 except possibly a bit unexciting ?  My rose-tinted spectacles want to go for an old (1970s) CB400/500/750 but could be a pain re:
spares/handling/cost/getting someone to work on them   etc......
The modern-ish but still classic seems to be 600 Bandit/VFR 750/CBR600, I suppose but I keep getting drawn back to the CB500 as a really pretty one is only about £1200/£1500 and I can't see any issues really.
I had the old CBs in the 70s so I know their charm/problems. I don't work on bikes myself.

Any views welcomed......are the earlier CBs the better ones etc....?
I think this will be the right choice somehow.

John

Worthing.
davecb5002
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Re: CB500 best all-rounder ? Vintage versus newer.

Post by davecb5002 on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 9:02 pm

Hi John-Welcome to the forum. As far as bike choices go, I have owned a number of bikes you mention,Older Honda 500+550, both heavy and expensive to maintain.
Suzuki Bandit, had from new, rubbish build quality. Honda VFR 750, still got one, that is my third one owned. Best bike ever built,very good for two up touring ,been all round Europe, but bit to heavy for all round use.
Honda CB500, on my second one now, can not fault them, unburstable engine,reliable starts first time every time. Really quite a sporty ride, can keep up with much bigger bikes, especially in the twisty bits.Embarras some of my mates at times in able to keep up with there pace.
Easy to ride, stops well ,rear disc is better bet, quite good on fuel. Can be revved hard if you want progress but is quite happy just to cruise along steady.
Think CB500 would be a better choice as all rounder,not for two up touring, but most other things it is good at. Easy to maintain could do yourself quite simple being a twin, parts readily available and  cheap. Good Forum. But make sure you hunt round and get a good one, low miles is not always best.Good history is better. Best of luck,shop around a bit. All the above is only my opinion, but think as a return again biker you could not choose a better all round bike Very Happy Very Happy
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 9:35 am

I don't really have loads of experience but imo most Japanese bikes from the late '90s will be decent if they've been looked after. I don't really think the 500 is much better than any other - although it does seem capable of higher mileages than most (I wonder though if this might be as much about the personality types of the people that tend to own them - not *generally* the kind who'll be caning the arse off their bikes, perhaps also having a little more mechanical sympathy generally?). In any case, if you want a relatively light, manageable, neutral handling bike with quite linear power delivery and comparative ease of maintenance the '90s CB500 should certainly be one of a few bikes on your shopping list.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 12:01 am

Cb 500 a great bike.. so good ive two...well ones going to cousin  when he goes to do his test, i commute between both in all weathers.. there good handling..reliable bike, ive had lot faster bikes.. everyday use cb perfect... good mpg... its does what it say on the tin...(but it do it very well)engine  goes to huge miles as well
Hcb
Godly
Godly

Post by Hcb on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 12:33 pm

Nobody talk about CB750 Seven Fifty??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Apr 2018, 3:56 am