You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Wanting a tracker on my bike

GollyGosh
Two Tone
Two Tone

Wanting a tracker on my bike

Post by GollyGosh on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 4:16 pm

On the basis that no matter what or how many chains and locks you use there are those that can still nick a bike in minutes.  So I'm looking for a tracker so I can hopefully get my bike back sooner rather than later (or not at all).

So anyone using a contract free (i.e. self monitoring), reliable tracker?
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Re: Wanting a tracker on my bike

Post by ceejay on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 5:49 pm

Yep I have a Chinese eBay bought tracker which is essentially a phone without a screen. SIM card goes in and when I call it replies with a text message with it's coordinates which I can paste into google maps. Battery will last about 3 days uncharged but I have it connected to bike battery via a charger so gets charged whenever I flick a switch on my bars. I have the unit itself hidden on the bike.

I've had this set up for a few years but looking the other day there seem to be a lot more devices available now that don't require as much manual wiring and messing about and are probably a bit slicker to operate. For example number one on this list.

I would also add when I bought mine there were a ton of copies on eBay which looked identical to mine but a third of the price. I fell for it and battery wouldn't last 3 hours uncharged and it could never get a GPS signal... So splashed out on the original Chinese eBay one which has worked well since!

I like the small peace of mind it provides knowing there might be a small hope if the bike disappears one day if nothing else!
GollyGosh
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by GollyGosh on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 4:01 pm

Thanks ceejay, I had seen that list.  No. 1 on the list has an undisclosed annual fee so that would depend on what the fee is.  I'll contact them and post the reply on here.

No. 2 uses your own SIM and sends texts with location.  So cheaper but no live mapping/route details.

What brand is your tracker?
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Post by ceejay on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 4:27 pm

Good question! It was unbranded and it's now very confusing because the tracker has many companies selling it with their own logo etc. But it looked like this minus the logos. That seems the come with a SIM etc but I got a pay-as-you-go SIM from Giff Gaff. A lot of the networks that offer PAYG sims cut the number off if unused for a few weeks but Giff Gaff only requires a text every 6 months to keep it active.

I also managed to track down the hardware for charging it via the bike battery on eBay somewhere. You will see there are 'TK102' units that cost £12 on eBay.. I'd avoid those even though they look identical given the experience I talked about above!

To correct myself I meant number 2 on the list I posted previously! That one doesn't seem to have any contracts. The expensive ones with contracts are obviously going to be a ton more reliable because they often use more than a GPS signal which is easily blocked (i.e. by going inside a building) but then we have a big deterrent in that the bike is a CB500 Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Apr 2018, 3:53 am