You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

winter storage tips

geewhizz
the 900
the 900

winter storage tips

Post by geewhizz on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 7:09 am

HI all, 

Firstly, a change of circumstance this year has lead me to take the bike off the road and store in my folks garage in chilly Scotland. I took the battery and tank off and stored them indoors to keep em cosy. There's still some fuel in the tank as I was in two minds about dumping it. I probably won't use the bike again before spring/summer. Should I dump the fuel and let the tank dry out? Or fill it up?? Or leave it as is and get someone to give it a wiggle now and again to slosh the fuel about?

Secondly, I drained the carbs, put the bike on the centre stand and put the front wheel under a bit of wood to keep it off the concrete, gave the rust prone areas a wipe with acf50 and draped a few old bed sheets over it. Was thinking about protecting the disks with acf50 too as the bike will need a complete service/new pads, oil, coolant and valve clearance before I take it out again.

I intend to keep the bike forever and it's in really good shape with just under 50k on it… Is there anything else I should consider for this length of storage?

Cheers, 

G 
Jameshambleton

Re: winter storage tips

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 11:59 am

Fill up the tank, think about all the myths about leaving petrol in bottom of the tank when storing bikes... but unless you run out of petrol the bottom of the tank will never see air. Leaving the petrol in is a good protector against oxidation (rust) so better long term.

I've also had to layup my bike a week and a half ago for an unknown amount of time (possibly months), keeping the tyers off the ground is a good idea as it stops them from becoming misshapen and having flat spots, draining the carbs is also a good idea... something that I haven't done.
GollyGosh
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by GollyGosh on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 2:49 pm

Petrol has a shelf life of 6 months, less if bought from a rural garage with low sales. So filling it up would be OK as spring isn't that far away now.

Not so sure about ACF50 on the disks.  You would need to find a chemical solution that will clean it off completely, otherwise your new pads would become contaminated.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 9:13 pm

Yes, full tank and empty carbs sounds like a good plan, assuming (that is) that your fuel tap is working well. A good plan is running the bike and switching the tap to 'off' and letting it die - this uses up (most of) the fuel in the carbs and also demonstrates that the tap works!

If you are really paranoid then disconnect the pipe from the tank so it impossible for any fuel to get from the tank into the engine. This is probably extreme paranoia...

I'm not sure I'd bother the put ACF50 on the discs - it will only be a pain to get off again (brake cleaner will help). Any rust you get will get worn off pretty quick when you start using the brakes...

You mentioned the battery - did you charge it up before storing it away? If you didn't then give it a charge. In fact, give it a charge anyway.

Possibly the most important part is the garage. Is it completely dry? Worth making sure the bike isn't under a drip... you might think I'm being flippant but I had a similar problem in my garage and you really don't want a persistent drip on your nice shiny bike!
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 10:08 pm

cheers for the input guys, much appreciated.

the bike is in a reasonably dry garage, no drips anyways. battery is charged and so far (im told) no visible rust. 

can't wait to rip the arse out of it in spring tho.
motofan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by motofan on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 11:39 am

Fill the tank and stop any rust, if you're worried that the petrol will have "gone off" use it in your lawnmower, or diluted in a full tank in your car (NOT if it's a diesel hem, hem!) come the spring, grass'l need cutting anyway.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 4:30 pm

Cheers all, I got round to putting the old petrol in the car today and brimmed the tank of bike . Better late than never, but can't say when I'll get it back on the road.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Jul 2018, 10:57 am