You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

New member from New Zealand

ultraliner

New member from New Zealand

Post by ultraliner on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:14 am

Hi Everybody,

New member here from the other side of the planet, have recently acquired a minorly accident damaged 1999 CB500-W.

I've noticed that the bike is registered as a 1999 but the last digit of the code is conflicting and all my internet research tells me it is a 1998. Any clarification on this would be much appreciated.

This model is as rare as hen's teeth over here and as a result parts are even rarer! Am currently pursuing avenues for sourcing the parts I require but any advice/leads I can get would again be appreciated.

The previous owner was involved in a lowish speed front on collision and parked it up in his garage. $500NZD and a loan of a trailer has it now sitting in my garage. The bike hadn't run in approx 12 months but 2 days after collecting it I fired it into life. Everything mechanically checks out and would very much like to get this machine back on the road. Being a rare bike in these parts it should have a certain wow factor about it when all sorted!

I'll post a topic in the looking for parts section of what i'm trying to locate, thank you in advance Wink
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: New member from New Zealand

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 10:28 am

Welcome mate, looking forward to seeing photos of your new project!
Mine is a CB500V registered October '97, although if the model revisions start in the middle of the year it is very possible you have a '99 CB500W Smile
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 11:40 am

cb500w is a 1998, how ever it may have been late registered. The easiest way of telling is the check the year stamp on the wheels - this is located inside some (not all) of the spokes, or if you remove the rear cowling where the cdi lives there is a year code also written on the loom.
Grarea
the 900
the 900

Post by Grarea on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 12:29 pm

Wotcha and Welcome.
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 3:12 pm

Hi there Mr Liner, I'm just a newbie myself but I've been made very welcome here.

I've heard that the biking scene in NZ is very active, lots of great roads to explore, good climate and very bikercentric there. Can you enlighten us?

Got any other bikes? It seems obvious that you're fixing the CB yourself are you going to keep it standard?

Just being nosey! Welcome, Dave.
ultraliner

Post by ultraliner on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 1:07 am

Thank you for your replies. The bike was filthy so is currently outside after a thorough wash and degrease.

I'll be sure to check the date code on the wiring loom to verify exactly what year it is Wink

The bike scene is definitely very active over here Motofan, a lot of groups and clubs to get involved with so a ride is never really too hard to get in on.

I also have a 1997 Honda CB250F hornet and a couple of smaller bikes to keep me entertained!

So far I intend to get the bike in a rideable condition stock, see how it feels and go from there. First task is to get the front forks attended to, either by having them straightened, replaced or replacing the fork tubes. This will allow me to at least ride it safely and in a straight line Wink
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:00 am

Good plan, ride it before you do any changes. Cheers, Dave.
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GollyGosh on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 3:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.  The CB5 is going to be a future classic.  The more people that mod them the more valuable the stock bikes will be Smile 

I'm sure the members will help you source parts you can't get locally.  There is a wealth of knowledge here.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 9:26 pm

Glad to hear that one has made it half way around the world, crashed or otherwise!

If the forks are not too bent then they can be straightened - it's hard to tell what 'too bent' is - so it might be worth taking them off the bike and taking them to someone who straightens forks. There will be someone, somewhere near-ish to you who can hopefully help (or at least, justify buying some expensive forks from half-way around the world!).

You'll have to show us some pictures Smile Best of luck with getting it on the road!
ultraliner

Post by ultraliner on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 8:49 am

I'm about 30 mins away from returning a call to a UK based breaker regarding some parts, namely a complete headlight, instrument cluster, front forks and handlebars.

Just so happened to be at a motorcycle shock rebuilder with a work colleague today who is having his BMW F650 rear rebuilt. Unfortunately my front tubes are kinked where they mount up to the bottom triple clamp so are unable to be repaired. Have a few leads on replacements (very pricey!!) and am currently waiting to hear back from allbikeengineering.co.uk who can apparently manufacture replacements for 80 pounds each. If anyone has anything good or bad to say about this company it would be good to hear about!

I've ridden the bike up the road, only about as fast as a bike with a bashed up leaking radiator and banana front forks will allow but it feels really strong, runs perfectly and pulls away nicely in 1st and 2nd gear.

I'll have a crack at creating an album and upload some pictures Wink
ultraliner

Post by ultraliner on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 8:55 am

Just tried to create an album and am told I cannot upload any files because the storage limit has been reached, even though I have nothing in there! Any suggestions?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 12:47 pm

DO NOT GET allbikeengineering ONES, they're a complete waste of time and don't even have the internal gubbins. I got told to destroy my current ones for the internals and then I'd have to use a press to roll over the end of them.

Paolo Tarozzi are the ones to get, they're as OEM... may even be OEM as they're made in italy. I think they're about £120 each.
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GollyGosh on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 2:00 pm

@ultraliner wrote:Just tried to create an album and am told I cannot upload any files because the storage limit has been reached, even though I have nothing in there! Any suggestions?

Personally I upload to Google Photo and then use the method HERE
ultraliner

Post by ultraliner on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:44 pm

Thanks for your reply jameshambleton, I had a reply from allbike about the forks being ok but having to replace the internal shuttles(something I've never heard from)which started alarm bells ringing and prompted the question.

This stuff isn't going to be cheap to import so best to know in advance!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 11:05 pm

I think these are the ones that James was talking about.
ultraliner

Post by ultraliner on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 5:24 am

This is as I first saw it, buried in the back of a guy's garage for who knows how long...

And this is it as of last weekend. Bent and broken front end parts all removed, forks rotated in such a way as to allow the bike to roll freely without running off to one side, running and semi rideable!

Thanks GollyGosh for the step by step on how to add pics Wink
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 2:04 pm

The ones ET posted are the correct ones to buy.
ultraliner

Post by ultraliner on Sat 27 Jan 2018, 11:12 pm

Fork tubes and bars have now been ordered courtesy of Wemoto. Instrument cluster will be ordered in due course so the only thing hanging me up at the moment is the headlight...

Do any of you guys run aftermarket headlight setups? It would seem the original CB ones are quite hard to come across so am looking at other ideas
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 8:20 am

Any 7" headlight will do though just remember that there's a different light spread lens depending on if you're on the left or he right side of the road
ultraliner

Post by ultraliner on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 5:40 am

Fork tubes, new bars and clutch cable finally arrived today, just waiting on new instrument cluster, headlight and left front indicator to arrive which should all be here in the next few weeks. 

Can finally start tearing into this thing!!
ultraliner

Post by ultraliner on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 12:37 pm

Pretty damn happy post here gentlemen!! My bike went for and passed it's WOF earlier today Smile Can legally ride it again now!!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 12:43 pm

Welcome ultraliner forum, ive cb500v and cb500s sy, there great bikes that our hard to kill...
ZekeVal
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by ZekeVal on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 1:02 pm

Welcome and congratulations!

Have fun with the bike Wink
davecb5002
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by davecb5002 on Thu 05 Apr 2018, 11:23 am

Welcome and have fun riding. You have got the best and fastest colour. Yellow Cool Cool

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 21 Oct 2018, 5:19 pm