Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

headstock bearings..help!

hayden
the 900
the 900

Solved headstock bearings..help!

Post by hayden on Fri 29 Apr 2011, 2:43 pm

Ok I`am getting to wards the end of my patience now ( and running out of tools) Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Is there any secret or advice you guys can give me for getting the outer races out of the headstock, I cannot get a tool or drift down there as the race edges are `flush` with the frame and theres nowt to get a tool onto. irrespective of what it says in the Haynes..

Anybody done this? how did you get around this?

I`ve got to get the inner race of the stem yet, but don`t get me started on that.. Evil or Very Mad

It was all going so well, Rolling Eyes back of bike back together but the front will be in bits for a while I suspect.... Crying or Very sad

HELP!.........H
hayden
the 900
the 900

Solved Re: headstock bearings..help!

Post by hayden on Mon 02 May 2011, 9:35 am

Sharpened `Pry bar`.....very big hammer... Twisted Evil ....job done...
davetheworv
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by davetheworv on Mon 02 May 2011, 12:08 pm

well done mate, you cant beat brute force and ignorance,lol
chromedome
the 900
the 900

Post by chromedome on Mon 02 May 2011, 3:38 pm

Good tip Hayden. Hopefully will not have to use it though.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 02 May 2011, 7:14 pm

Nice one, it's a pig getting that race out without the right tool!
I did post on this in your other thread last week, must have been buried in the list Neutral
http://www.cb500club.net/t548-front-caliper-bolts-renew#3761
hayden
the 900
the 900

Post by hayden on Mon 02 May 2011, 8:22 pm

Cheers teamster, I did read it but couldnt find the right tool.

For anybody else daft enough to do this: the bottom race was removed by filing a big washer to almost a knife edge, supporting it on some threded tube by washers of a slightly smaller diameter bolted either side,and feeding between race and headstock, then just a question of hammering on the tube from above bit by bit moving the washer around the bearing so it came out square and didn`t foul... Rolling Eyes

The top race was a right sod becuase it had been fitted flush with the headstock so I could not get a tool in between to drift etc.... Evil or Very Mad
So: purchased a rather large pry bar, ground the head down to almost a razor edge and positioned between bearing and stock and drove it between with heavy hammer, did the same to the opposite side so I could work on two points and keep things square, then positioned pry bar in the small gap ( after re-filing the edge ,again..) the weight of the bar being supportd by the headstock, then hammered down on the edge of the bar rather than the end to create some leverage effect and eventually it came....... cheers

best tip a mate gave me, save up and get a garage to do it.. Rolling Eyes

( note to self, must learn to type with more than one finger..)

H
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 02 May 2011, 9:17 pm

Excellent improvisation! I got to the stage of having to leave the bike in pieces over night because I was getting annoyed with it, horrible job Rolling Eyes

pmiller056

Post by pmiller056 on Wed 18 May 2011, 11:27 am

A tip from a mechanic friend... Use a welder to weld a line of weld on the bearing surface inside the headstock. As the bearing cools the bearing half will fall out of the headstock. It's counter-intuitive, but it worked for me. Before using any form of electric welding equipment, disconnect the battery, voltage regulator and electronic ignition module.

Leave the bearing outer shells in the freezer overnight to shrink them slightly before fitting them into the headstock

Peter
hayden
the 900
the 900

Post by hayden on Wed 18 May 2011, 9:46 pm

@pmiller056 wrote:A tip from a mechanic friend... Use a welder to weld a line of weld on the bearing surface inside the headstock. As the bearing cools the bearing half will fall out of the headstock. It's counter-intuitive, but it worked for me. Before using any form of electric welding equipment, disconnect the battery, voltage regulator and electronic ignition module.

Leave the bearing outer shells in the freezer overnight to shrink them slightly before fitting them into the headstock

Peter

Bloody hell mate, where were you two weeks ago!..... Laughing Laughing

good tip for future reference though, cheers..
steeeve66
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by steeeve66 on Thu 28 Aug 2014, 5:02 pm

On the subject of headstock bearings mine need replacing - the last set I got (from Wemoto I think) only  appear to have lasted 30k or so - they're the taper type rather than ball type (yes, I've tried tightening them down - no use, there's too much lateral movement in them now).

Where's the best place to get a set?

S

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:36 pm