You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

6 week mechanics course

fgclark123
Rossi
Rossi

6 week mechanics course

Post by fgclark123 on Sun 07 Jan 2018, 10:39 pm

Hi there,

I'm thinking of enrolling in this 6 week course, 3 hours each session, where you get to choose a maintenance task and then the experts help you through it. £250.

https://www.bedford.ac.uk/our-courses/subjects/motor-vehicle/basic-motorcycle-maintenance

It's a great idea - but my question is, what six 3-hour tasks would you choose for help on? I''m a novice by the way. I mean, could I make a solid difference to my bike in that time frame? What would you do?

I just don't know what a 3 hour task is. Engine bolt spacer replacement for example, is one job I'd like to do...

Cheers.
Jameshambleton

Re: 6 week mechanics course

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 07 Jan 2018, 11:28 pm

I'd say that 3 hours in a single slot isn't a lot of time but I suppose it depends on what you want out of it, as well as your current level.
If you want to check how to properly adjust your chain and checking bearings then I'd imagine it's fine.

If you want to start checking and adjusting valve clearances which uses a shim and bucket system rather than tappet/lock nut then it might not be enough time as shim and bucket also requires removing the cam and then redoing the timing.

As I say it depends on what you want out of it.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 10:03 am

Engine bolts from our beloved cb's often take much longer than 3 hours to remove. 
It's more of a post graduate doctorate course.
In agreement with James the valve clearance would be a handy trick to learn as would clutch replacement. 
Replacing the fork seals and brake system seals wouldn't go to waste either. 
The added benefit of learning these skills is that as you gain the knowledge of how it's done you become able to teach yourself all the associated things that you haven't really thought about before.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 9:11 pm

Yeah, I can't disagree with any of that.

Assuming you don't mind spending the money then it is probably worth going on the course if only to give you some extra confidence to tackle more difficult/lengthy bits of maintenance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 23 Jan 2018, 3:41 pm