You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

[solved]Warning Lights

T90 Arrow
Squiddy
Squiddy

[solved]Warning Lights

Post by T90 Arrow on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:06 pm

Hi, last year I had problems with the side stand warning light working intermittantly. Shorted the switch to earth to test it but it still didn't come on so probably not the switch. Everything still worked so didn't take it any further. Now the neutral indicator light is doing the same thing. Sometimes I have no warning lights at all. Anyone had problems with the diode switch in the wiring harness under the tank causing a problem similar to this. Thanks, Barry
Jameshambleton

Re: [solved]Warning Lights

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:20 pm

Looking at the wiring diagram, have you checked to see if your front brake is still making the brake light operate as they both use the same power source?
T90 Arrow
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by T90 Arrow on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 3:38 pm

Hi James, thanks for that. Having only ever owned old British classic bikes before I'm not used to all these waring lights and cut outs. Didn't even know the front brake operated the brake light. Only got the bike last year and have hardly riden it yet. Just checked and front brake switch is not operating the brake light. No warning lights at all when I switched ignition on. It seems to have gone from just a side stand light to also neutral light and now also oil/ignition light. ??
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 4:08 pm

Sounds like a fuse has blown as all of those are on the same circuit. The fuse box is under the offside panel between the tank and the rear cowing, 15 amp fuse if I recall.

Here's a link to a highres image of the wiring diagram https://1drv.ms/i/s!ArP4grxhMWOpohN6UZ7woWfeyoNd
T90 Arrow
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by T90 Arrow on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 4:33 pm

ok thanks, I'll have a look in the morning
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 7:47 pm

If the fuse is fine then check the power feed that runs up the headstock. There is one wire that gets split into four (there is a big connection) to supply power to things - it is worth checking this as if it breaks (it is right on the headstock and gets flexed every time the bars are turned) then a lot of things stop working (I think it is a black and brown wire).
T90 Arrow
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by T90 Arrow on Sat 06 Jan 2018, 2:06 pm

Hi, checked all fuses and ok. Checked front brake switch and although it showed a circuit through the switch with a meter it broke down under load. Brake light works when switch shorted out so new switch required. Unfortunately doesn't help with all the warning lights not working.Cheers, Barry
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 06 Jan 2018, 6:44 pm

Here is a snippet from the Haynes wiring diagram:

The wire that I've indicated with the purple arrow is the one I was talking about in my previous post that supplies the positive feed to the oil pressure, neutral and side-stand lights.

As mentioned it runs in the loom-bundle up the headstock and then splits to feed the various lights.

As a first-step it might be worth wiggling the headstock-bundle of cables with the ignition switched on and see if any of the lights come one/flicker - might give a quick indication of the problem.

Failing that if you take the clocks apart (see Haynes electrical section) as if you were going to change the bulbs (also worth checking the bulbs while you are there) you will be able to measure the voltages on the bulb-contacts - if everything is fine with the wiring, when the ignition is on, there should be 12V (battery voltage) on at least one of the contacts of each of the idiot-lights mentioned above. If that voltage isn't there then it is certainly a problem with the 12V feed rather than the switches/other wiring etc...

If you don't have a Haynes manual (it is worth getting real one BTW) and want an PDF copy then just say and someone will post a link or email you one.
T90 Arrow
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by T90 Arrow on Sun 07 Jan 2018, 2:02 pm

Hi, had a quick look but it's bloody freezing in the garage. Had a good wiggle around with the loom at the headstock but not a flicker from the warning lights. Is it necessary to remove the fuel tank to get at this 4 way splitter connection. Thanks
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 07 Jan 2018, 9:20 pm

No, as I recall (I did this some time ago!), you don't need to take the tank off, but you'll need to unwrap the bundle that goes up the headstock.

Before you do anything I'd try and do a measurement to ensure that really is the problem!

Also, given the weather, and the non-essential nature of the 'idiot lights', it might be better to wait until a slightly warmer day/weekend...
T90 Arrow
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by T90 Arrow on Tue 09 Jan 2018, 12:50 pm

Well I think I've got to the bottom of it. Took the instrument cluster and the headlight off to get better access and trace wires. The brown/black supply to the warning lights goes via a 6 way plug in the headlight. Power was getting to that but not to the cluster. Plug connections seemed ok. I noticed that there were 12 cables going into a rubber tube and up to the cluster but about 18 coming out of the other end of the tube. Couldn't feel any sort of connector in the tube so had no option but to cut it off. In this mass of wires was a 1 into 3 joint that had broken. Didn't look like a bodge up job. Could even have been a push in plug but it was badly corroded or could have been a soldered joint. Must have been like that from new as the rubber tube was intact. Whilst messing with the wiring another 1 into 3 joint fell to bits. Brown and white which feeds the 3 instrument lights. The 1997 bike is in good nick, never had any wet weather use according to previous owner. For the sake of an extra 4 wires seems a stupid idea for a Honda. Anyone else come across this. Thanks for your help. Will let you know how I get on when it warms up in the garage. Barry
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 09 Jan 2018, 10:45 pm

@T90 Arrow wrote: In this mass of wires was a 1 into 3 joint that had broken. Didn't look like a bodge up job.

This was *exactly* what had gone wrong with mine. It's a cost-saving exercise - less cable (adds up over a production run of thousands), in addition to that there is probably a maximum size you really want that bundle to be before it starts to effect the steering!

T90 Arrow
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by T90 Arrow on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 2:48 pm

We have lights! Everything seems to be working. There were 4 cable joints in that bundle. Good job none of them are circuits that would actually stop the bike from running. What a pig of a job getting all those cables back into the headlamp shell and still managing to close it all up again. Thanks for all your help. Barry
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 10:00 pm

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 15 Nov 2018, 7:28 pm