You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

maxxis tyres

hawkwind
Squiddy
Squiddy

maxxis tyres

Post by hawkwind on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 4:19 pm

hello all, has anyone used maxxis tyres on there 500. i have a 97 which is used in all weather. i have heard good things about the maxxis and they are very cheap
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Re: maxxis tyres

Post by skyrider on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 4:57 pm

I think they used to be called jhen shing tyres and got rebranded as maxxis
hawkwind
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by hawkwind on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 6:05 pm

but are they any good. even mcn and others seem to like them
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 6:28 pm

Never ran maxxis myself I know that some supermoto guys use them and I've seen them ran on some superbikes. Never tried them myself, thought I did contemplate them before I did my wheel mod.
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GollyGosh on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 8:52 pm

Not sure if this is helpful or not and I'll leave it for others to comment.

I'm also looking for tyres.  One site I've found is mytyres.co.uk, it is German based seller and complies with German legislation.  Searching by bike it lists tyres that are manufacturer certified as suitable.  They do sell the right size Maxxis but they are not listed in the search results.  See links:

PC26

PC32

It may be Maxxis have not gone to the expense of having their tyres certified for the CB500...

Off topic:  Metzeler have an approved pairing of a diagonal front and a radial rear for the PC26 but not the PC32.
hh_12345
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by hh_12345 on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 9:14 pm

@skyrider wrote:I think they used to be called jhen shing tyres and got rebranded as maxxis

Cheng Shin appears to be the company that owns the maxxis brand. Maxxis have often been considered one of the best tyres for mountain bikes.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 9:09 pm

I've used Maxxis on my other bike without any problem (a Ducati 860 GT) - a rather different bike to a CB500 but they worked/work fine.

When I last looked I couldn't find CB500 size/type tyres in the Maxxis range, but things do change (please post a link to the tyres you are interested in fitting).
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GollyGosh on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 12:07 am

@GollyGosh wrote:  They do sell the right size Maxxis
My bad

Had another look and now realised the sizes were right but not matching types.  Front sport/tourer and Rear Enduro....
hawkwind
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by hawkwind on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 5:52 am

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/motorcycle-tyres/maxxis/m6102-promaxx-front/

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/motorcycle-tyres/maxxis/m6103-promaxx-rear/130-70--17-tl-62-h.html

i know they are 70 profile but should be fine
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 7:40 pm

@hawkwind wrote:https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/motorcycle-tyres/maxxis/m6102-promaxx-front/

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/motorcycle-tyres/maxxis/m6103-promaxx-rear/130-70--17-tl-62-h.html

i know they are 70 profile but should be fine

They will fit fine, but the load index of the front tyre is not up to spec. The Maxxis tyre is 54 and the CB500 needs a 57.

So you *can* fit them, but after that you are on your own... given that most people don't use their tyres strictly 'to the max' (that is combination of loading and speed) there is a good chance that a 54 LI tyre would be fine, but I'm not sure I'd like it, especially given it is the front tyre that gets loaded up when braking...

skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 7:50 pm

you want a tyre you can be safe with in all situations its no good thinking if I don't go flat out and don't do any heavy braking im going to be ok, leave that idea alone get a tyre that is safe remember your life could depend on it Neutral
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 8:02 pm

Ive 70 profile on my front tyre bt45 on my cb500s and 80 profile on bt45 on front tyre on my cb 500v... no probs with it at all...70 profile is rated to 57. As rule from start when i started to ride bikes always buy best you can afford when it comes to tyres...chain sprokets....and brake pads... its no fun ending up in an ambulance... i can tell you that from experience..
hawkwind
Squiddy
Squiddy

maxxis tyres awesome

Post by hawkwind on Wed 09 May 2018, 7:29 am

just an update on the maxxis tyres. i finally got a pair delivered for £ 84, unbelievable price. having done nearly a thousand miles on them i have to say they are brilliant, easily as good as the bt 45's they replaced. i am an ex london courier who now lives in yorkshire and according to friends i still ride as mad as a courier so the tyres have definately been tested. will just have to see what mileage i get out of them

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 15 Nov 2018, 7:20 pm