You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Wheels

freeride
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Wheels

Post by freeride on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 8:16 pm

In the process of stripping down my wheels ready for a repaint. With the discs are the bolts "normal thread" just checking before I give the bolts too much welly?

Also any hints for removing the grease seals and bearings etc?
Many thanks
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Wheels

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 8:30 pm

Yes, the disc bolts are a normal thread. If they are stiff then all the normal rules (heat, lubrication, shock etc) apply. I've got a set of hex-head sockets (like these but not the screwfix version!) which make applying a fair amount of force to allen-head screws a lot easier.

Grease/dirt seals should pop out with a little persuasion from a flat-head screwdriver - if they don't then they will probably deform when you get them out and are probably old enough you should replace them.

Bearings can be removed using a drift from the opposite side of wheel as illustrated in Haynes - a long, thin drift is helpful here as is a lump hammer. You won't be reinstalling the bearings so giving them a judicious whack is allowed Smile If they are hard to get out then heating up the wheel with a hot air gun around the bearing may well help.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 9:48 am

If you go for a set of Torx/Allen bits something like these are a life saver with a battery impact driver. Makes it a piece of cake getting the disk bolts out, and you are not fighting the wheel rotation. Just make sure you check final tightening torque when re-assembling.
freeride
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by freeride on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 10:11 pm

Thanks for the replies. Well the front bearings came out fairly easily so l'll try the rear bearings later this week? Any suggestions for where to get the new bearing kits from as most of them don't seem to have all the seals with them?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 10:49 pm

@freeride wrote:Thanks for the replies. Well the front bearings came out fairly easily so l'll try the rear bearings later this week? Any suggestions for where to get the new bearing kits from as most of them don't seem to have all the seals with them?

3 things.
1 don't buy kits
2 don't buy koyo bearings, get NSK
3 simplybearings.com

@Jameshambleton wrote:Bearing sizes 

Front wheel (all models)

Bearing size 
x2 6302uu

Disc side seal 22x42x7
speedo drive side 40x50x5

Rear wheel  

Disc models 
x2 6303uu 

Sprocket 
6304uu

Seals
Disc side 28x47x7mm
Sprocket carrier 30x52x7mm This is only for the 1998 models onwards and not the 1997

NOTE: THERE IS A SPROCKET CARRIER YEAR OVERLAP ON THE 1997 MODELS. 
The 1997 uses a 6204 sprocket carrier bearing and a 28x47x7mm dust seal. 

Drum models 

x2 6303uu 

Sprocket 
6204uu

Seals
Drum side N/A 
Sprocket carrier 28x47x7mm
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 9:00 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:
@freeride wrote:Thanks for the replies. Well the front bearings came out fairly easily so l'll try the rear bearings later this week? Any suggestions for where to get the new bearing kits from as most of them don't seem to have all the seals with them?

3 things.
1 don't buy kits
2 don't buy koyo bearings, get NSK
3 simplybearings.com

<loads of bearing info>

I also found that I could get the bearings and seals from a local bearing sales place quicker than online and no postage to pay... maybe I was lucky but a quick perusal of the yellow pages (hey kids?!) and a phone call might be worth the effort.

There are *also* lots of good bearing places online, thought I would (as James suggests) stick with the big brands where ever you get them from (SKF, FAG, NSK etc) - these will be the same/equivalent ones to those that Honda specify. It is also possible to get other bearings that fit but don't meet the same standards...
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 9:20 pm

The OEM ones used on all Honda's wheels are NSK as well as the vast majority of the internal engine bearings too given a couple of exclusions.

I've got a local bearing stockiest but they've not got a good website or anything so I can't easily check what stuff they've got. http://www.randjbearings.com/ Given I'm going to be replacing all the bearings on the fighter build when I get the funds I'll get them all from them.
GollyGosh
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GollyGosh on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 4:13 pm

FYI

Koyo 6302UU equivalents are:

NSK 6302DDU
SKF 63022RSH

Koyo 6303UU (rear disc) equivalents are:

NSK 6303DDU
SKF 63032RSH