You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

YSS RE302-380T-04-X rear shocks on CB500S 1999?

Drago76
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

YSS RE302-380T-04-X rear shocks on CB500S 1999?

Post by Drago76 on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 8:32 pm

Hello!
Just make an purchase of RE302-380T-04-X on ebay - but just want to hear - anyone try that, have any info?

original rear shocks, as i remember, was 350 mm long, that ones looks like 380mm - that no introduce any problems / nuances?

PS originals was too soft - if i with passengers, they tend to strike throught, as so i decided to biy new ones, and a good-looking ones  too... Wink
stormbringer

Re: YSS RE302-380T-04-X rear shocks on CB500S 1999?

Post by stormbringer on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 7:28 pm

@Drago76 wrote:
original rear shocks, as i remember, was 350 mm long, that ones looks like 380mm - that no introduce any problems / nuances?

Privet!

Right, I just had a look at the OE shocks I discarded last spring - they're 345mm center-to-center. Adding +30mm to one end of the bike will add approx 20mm to your saddle height and have an effect on riding 'geometry'. Not sure which effect though, but you tilt the front fork towards vertical and I suspect steering would become more 'lively'.

I replaced the OE shocks with TEC bolt-on-replacements (350mm) that were considerably stiffer. Then I took the bike to Romania, touring. Heavy load, high speeds, absolutely unbelievably crappy roads - no issues. And it's a grand place! Nicest people and let me recommend in particular the area southwest of Brasov Smile

The YSS shocks are rumoured to be better/best, so please give us a review of them, once you get some kilometers on them.
Drago76
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Drago76 on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 2:11 pm

as ir was specified as compatible with my cb500s - i wonder, maybe hes just have bigger working range, i think, a under ordinary lodad, maybe its length is the same as originals, it just cam higher to dempfer bigger bounds?
ok, when i got it, ill see. it was ordered, and in a spring i start testing it.
have one original shock removed, and it is - wait a bit - yes, looks to 340 mm center-to center.
old, and when with passengers, its sometimes strikes throught, also a rusty.
i do not need more stiff, actually - i have some problems with my spine, and some times this summer i specially decide to ride to skydiving site on my yellowbird ( cb500s) instead of my 100cc moped ( honda cub clone) - because i need my spine in good order in skydiving, and on less than perfect roads, the more soft suspension is, the better. 
on moped i have too YSS, and it was  considerably stiffer. -also on an original shocks - because a lot lesser vehicle weight, i think, otherwise i prefer my moped over all another options - it was true supervehicle - about 2 times less fuel consumption than cb500s ( best of what i get 3.2 litres per 100km this summer at about 65 kph), light as bicycle, handling super easy, and can do anything and not fall with moto over you, and that super thing, you can put your rucksack or other carriage between your knees, as it not stress your spine / back... Wink
ok, i write an article about that yss in my "logbook" at safedrive.su , when i test that YSS... Wink
Drago76
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Drago76 on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 5:31 pm

IMG_3668.jpg
Melitos
Godly
Godly

Post by Melitos on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 2:47 pm

Hi

I also bought the 380mm YSS since they were advertised to fit CB500 (without checking the stock shock length). I sent the too long shocks back and got 350mm ones instead. I would say they are not soft...

With too long shocks your rear wheel might still touch ground when bike is in main stand and also possibly stability problems when bike is in side stand.

BR,
Antti
Drago76
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Drago76 on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 6:51 pm

xm, even 350mm YSS ones is harder than original ones?

not very good...
about another  - as it is homologated for cb500s, i think, situation cant be very bad.
in anyway - all remains to be seen in spring...:\
Drago76
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Drago76 on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 5:35 pm

swap RE302-380T-04-X  day ago.
sadly, before swap i do not measure saddle height, and wheel height, when moto is on central .

but - in short - not good. better have to look to 350mm ones, i suppose, RE302-350T-20-X 

in a short: when put cycle on central holder, both wheels touch ground, and not even touch, but press to it considerably, as so, motorcycle in that position feels a bit unstable.

keep default preadjustment, do a ride a bit. 
firstly, saddle height increase considerable. if earlier i touch ground with full foot, and even a bit bent knees, now it was with even not a full feet.

in ride: looks ok, suspension is soft, not hard - so far good.
driving for transport my brother as passenger, and in some not very big, potholes, on road, i feel a suspension was striked throught!

ok, my bro is fat ( i am 76 kg, bro was about 120 kg), but new, and longer than originals, as so, stronger, rear shocks was strikethru so easy??

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NHMc9PcjnffJ6JJ62
strange.

also there is some slack in lower eyelet, and as so "click-click" sound during ride.

as i already buyed these, i plan to screw out tension of spring maximally slack ( soft) by screwing it to top, and see, what happens there - maybe then cycle was a bit lower.

sadly, tension adjustment is constructed that way, you must take shosk out from frame, or take out tail plastics, to get access to adjustment mechanism - not easy and not handy.
try experiment with that in this season, and to next, maybe, buy a 350mm shocks... :\

stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 8:21 pm

From your report I gather that the 380mm shocks from YSS do not 'deliver'. Having to remove the rear cowling to adjust damping is not OK. Regarding the observed strikethrough when riding 2-up - well, I'm not sure we can blame the shocks there, you've added a considerable amount of weight. But I'd be annoyed with the altered ride-height anyway, so thank you for reporting back. I will make sure any future shock replacements happen using the default length; 350mm.

For reference, I've replaced my shod OE Showa rear shocks with brand new TEC ones (50£ + p&p). They've endured romanian backroads and heavy loads - but I can testify that they are by no means rust proof!! Oh well, it was an experiment.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Sep 2018, 1:34 pm