Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Parked CB500s Smashed by Car

Scatcat1994
Scatcat1994
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Parked CB500s Smashed by Car Empty Parked CB500s Smashed by Car

Post by Scatcat1994 on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 8:37 am

Hey guys,

My bike just got utterly nailed by a car, it was on the side stand and got hit so it fell on its left hand side.

The bike got hit so hard that the damage is extensive and as follows:

Right hand side peg bracket has completely sheared.
Left side indicator smashed.
Front fairing bracket bent and needs replaced
Front fairing scratched to shit (But can live with it to keep costs down maybe)
Cooling fan has become dislodged and was resting on the headers.
Think the radiator is considered gone

I put it into a garage and got a rough estimate of around £850 for parts and labour.

The driver knocked on my door and admitted his mistake and said we will just do the repairs without insurance but I dont think he realised just how messed up the bike is and am waiting for his opinion regarding the sum.

Basically I need advice, I only have crappy 3rd party insurance and have never dealt with an incident in my life.  I believe I will only get like £750 if the bike is considered written off which would be awful as I just spent £920 on it getting it through its mot.

I'm beginning to panic a little, I'm on an apprentice wage.

Any advice regarding the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys,

-Scott
Fair Weather Rider
Fair Weather Rider
the 900
the 900

Parked CB500s Smashed by Car Empty Re: Parked CB500s Smashed by Car

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 9:33 am

Wow that's a difficult one, if you involve the insurance company, they will write it off and you will be left with no bike and not enough money to buy another, but in my experience it is always best to get the insurance company involved, he has admitted to you that it is his fault, but may deny that when it comes to paying up. Have you any witnesses?
I'm sure that between everyone on the forum we can get your bike up and running again.
At least you are in one piece. cheers
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 10:04 am

I think it might be worth getting the quote written down on a piece of paper from the garage and then working it from there. It's cheaper to buy another bike and break it for the spares you need for that sort of money and you'll still end up from profiting from it.

I'm more concerned though that you said that the "Right hand side peg bracket has completely sheared" e.g the exhaust hanger. Have you checked your headers specifically the studs on the front of the engine. If they're bent they'll more than likely sheer.

Do not go through your insurance, if you really need to go through the insurance route use a company called mcams and get some information about it from them.
If you take them up you'll get a good hire bike (not a 125 something comparable to the cb5) my mate had his nm4 vultus (750cc) and ended up with a less than 600mile z1000sx to play on.

Going through a company such as Mcams means that there is no log of this event happening on the insurance database meaning you don't need to delacre the incident when you renew your insurance (if you tell them you'll get shafted on price and then it'll be logged).
wrighty
wrighty
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by wrighty on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 10:53 am

Hey Scott. I have the complete fairing,screen, instruments, indicators etc from my cb500s project all in one piece ready to bolt on and plug in. If you decide to go the self repair route we can do a deal there. I also have radiator and fan, tatty but functional.
Fair Weather Rider
Fair Weather Rider
the 900
the 900

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 11:04 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:I think it might be worth getting the quote written down on a piece of paper from the garage and then working it from there. It's cheaper to buy another bike and break it for the spares you need for that sort of money and you'll still end up from profiting from it.

I'm more concerned though that you said that the "Right hand side peg bracket has completely sheared" e.g the exhaust hanger. Have you checked your headers specifically the studs on the front of the engine. If they're bent they'll more than likely sheer.

Do not go through your insurance, if you really need to go through the insurance route use a company called mcams and get some information about it from them.
If you take them up you'll get a good hire bike (not a 125 something comparable to the cb5) my mate had his nm4 vultus (750cc) and ended up with a less than 600mile z1000sx to play on.

Going through a company such as Mcams means that there is no log of this event happening on the insurance database meaning you don't need to delacre the incident when you renew your insurance (if you tell them you'll get shafted on price and then it'll be logged).

Good point James.
Scatcat1994
Scatcat1994
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Scatcat1994 on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 11:28 am

You guys are amazing, such a wealth of information and parts!

No witnesses as such but he did admit to it in front of myself, girlfriend and 2 flatmates.

He said he will pay the damage but I reckon he thought it'd just be a couple quid so we will see what happens.

Its been made doubly challenging by the fact that my mechanic is away over the holidays until the 4th and didnt send me the invoice as requested, so all I can give the guy is the quote verbally, which is less than ideal.

I will post details as the develop,

much appreciated guys,

-Scott
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 11:45 am

The place James was taking about is here : http://www.mc-ams.co.uk/.

They are a motorcycle claims management company. There are a number of solicitors and claims management companies that will attempt to reclaim your loss from the other parties insurance company (hence it does not matter that you were third party only). If you go down this route then it may well be sensible to shop around (have a look at the ads in MCN or online).

If you end up doing a deal with the bloke where he pays for the repairs make sure you get a good proportion (if not all) of the money up front - you don't want to end up footing expensive repair costs yourself. Also, make sure you have all of his details (name, address, insurance company etc) in case you need to make a claim against his insurance in the future.

Either way, best of luck with the repairs. It might work out best to buy most of a second hand fairing of someone like @wrighty and get the garage to fit it and charge the miscreant with the total cost.
cj haughey
cj haughey
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by cj haughey on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 11:54 am

Talk to ye man and let him know what the price looks like and gauge his reaction. It might be no harm to report to the police that your bike was hit. Also get a value of the bike pre accident and see if it is more then the repairs and remember you are making a third party claim so not as easy to right it off as I think they need your agreeance on it
r1ncew1nd
r1ncew1nd
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by r1ncew1nd on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 3:00 pm

Ah so sorry to here that.  Can't offer any more advice to add to the valuable info already provided.  Keep reporting back. The guys on this forum have a wealth of experience and have your best interests at heart so I'm sure will steer you right.

What annoys me in situations like this is through no fault of your own, you end up with a whole load of shit and inconvenience to deal with, especially if your bike is your primary form of transport.  McAms looks pretty good as a service, although as you say there is every chance you'll lose out due to the bikes age and value.  Tricky one.  Don't take any crap from the offending driver about it affecting his insurance.  Screw him; it was his fault!

Hope you get sorted.

Steve
wrighty
wrighty
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by wrighty on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 4:58 pm

Scott in case it affects your decision i forgot to mention my fairing is black.
ANDYC
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 7:26 pm

If the insurance company does write the bike off, you will have the option to to keep the bike for a relatively small price from the pay out.
Scatcat1994
Scatcat1994
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Scatcat1994 on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 7:31 pm

Wrighty, my bike is black too.

I will be in touch once we start the repairs and such,

-Scott
Crash- Elmit
Crash- Elmit
the 900
the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 7:40 pm

Not a good thing to happen this time or year with the expense of christmas , but at least the driver admitted it. My bike was knocked over outside the house by a van. apparently the driver made a half-hearted attempt to knock the door but just stood the bike up and cleared off without leaving any details. bike hit kerb so broke r/h foot peg, brake lever, headlight knocked out of place, damaged exhaust and hat box, bent the handlebar weight bolt and gouged marks in the weight. The way it was damaged and how it had hit the deck points to them reversing into it. I never bothered to report it to my insurance as I have a £150 excess(fully comp) and I don't want my premiums to climb
tt fan
tt fan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by tt fan on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 10:28 pm

Sorry to hear about this too mate.
I hate to say this and would prefer to be wrong but the verbal admission in front of your friends really counts for nothing - so the sooner you can get some sort of admission and / or agreement to pay for damage in writing the better. It is just that when presented with a Bill four times what they were expecting, and the passage of time SOME peoples memory / recollection / version of events / liability shall we say changes somewhat. I hope your bloke is true to his word. My best advice is to get another professional quote in the same ball park so he cannot even say you are trying it on with your mates garage / that old bike / only minor damage bla bla bla any other excuse people trot out. It is GOOD OF YOU to offer him the chance to put this right without affecting his own no-claims record, if he wont co-operate then do contact one of the claim handling firms like James suggested. Good luck. Dont despair, with the black fairing already offered your bike WILL get fixed one way or another. As already stated just hassle you dont need / deserve. Keep us posted please
Scatcat1994
Scatcat1994
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Scatcat1994 on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 8:08 am

You guys have any idea where I could obtain a right hand side passenger peg/exhaust bracket?

Saw a left hand side one but seems like hens teeth trying to find them,

Cheers,

-Scott
Jameshambleton
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 8:28 am

Sent you a pm
rick1
rick1
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by rick1 on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:44 am

Try wemoto.com all new but a good site for all bikes, that's if you are repairing it yourself, else it is ebay for used spares.
Oafski
Oafski
Godly
Godly

Post by Oafski on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:57 pm

@Scatcat1994 wrote:You guys have any idea where I could obtain a right hand side passenger peg/exhaust bracket?

Saw a left hand side one but seems like hens teeth trying to find them,

Cheers,

-Scott

If you have all the bits it could be repairable. The one on my bike was smashed and on the used replacement I bought the lugs the riders footrest pivots in had been rewelded. Just need to find a decent Alloy welder. When I get round to it and have spare cash after sorting other bits on the Bike I will attempt to get the original repaired.
gopher
gopher
the 900
the 900

Post by gopher on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 3:12 pm

There are some eBay at the minute, try cb500 hanger.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 17 Jun 2019, 1:33 pm