You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Rad fan

pete7mzs
Squiddy
Squiddy

Rad fan

Post by pete7mzs on Sun 24 Dec 2017, 7:45 pm

Hi guys and gals if any, has anybody tried getting the radiator fan and cowl off without having to take rad off or strip half the bike down. Just wondered cos my cowl is brown rusty and I don't want it to get any worse, I have seen somewhere on the site that they are made out of unobtainium so I want to get it painted. I haven't tried to get into it yet, just wondered if anybody has managed to get into it. Cheers muchly and happy Christmas.
Jameshambleton

Re: Rad fan

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 24 Dec 2017, 8:12 pm

You should be able to remove the mounting bolts for the rad easily, there is one at the top and one on one side at the bottom. You will need to remove the rad cowls to access them and to remove the rad.

You can remove the fan housing, it's on 3 bolts, but the mounts on the rad rot and usually sheer clean off when you're trying to remove the fan housing.
Fair Weather Rider
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 9:33 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:You should be able to remove the mounting bolts for the rad easily, there is one at the top and one on one side at the bottom. You will need to remove the rad cowls to access them and to remove the rad.

You can remove the fan housing, it's on 3 bolts, but the mounts on the rad rot and usually sheer clean off when you're trying to remove the fan housing.

I was lucky only one of mine sheared off, if I was to do the job again I would use a little heat.
Such shit metal, would be far better done in plastic.
pete7mzs
Squiddy
Squiddy

Rad fan

Post by pete7mzs on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 11:49 pm

Thanks James, I meant was it possible to get the fan and cowl out without removing the radiator but I suppose it is virtually imposible.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 6:25 am

Ahh right, you've got no chance of that, you'll need to remove the rad
pete7mzs
Squiddy
Squiddy

Rad fan

Post by pete7mzs on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 10:49 pm

OK thanks mate, looks like I've got another load of work on then
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 11:48 am

@pete7mzs wrote:OK thanks mate, looks like I've got another load of work on then

Yes, but assuming your CB500 is working ok then (unless you hang around in hot traffic queues for fun) you don't really need the fan until summer... so I guess you might be able to (at least) bodge it up until the weather is a bit better.
dougxr
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by dougxr on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 10:26 pm

I think I've removed mine without disconnecting the radiator completely. But at least one of the radiator mounts had rotten through. And the fan cowl was rotten.

My radiator fan had packed up so I took it off and have bodged a temporary replacement on there, and I'm pretty certain I didn't drain down the coolant system. But I did have to disconnect all the mechanical fasteners.
pete7mzs
Squiddy
Squiddy

Rad fan

Post by pete7mzs on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 10:56 pm

Thanks for that Doug, I'll probably take the rad off if its going to be too difficult

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Apr 2018, 8:58 am