You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Special extended Christmas edition of knackered bike - now with added mystery

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Re: Special extended Christmas edition of knackered bike - now with added mystery

Post by trevor machine on Mon 01 Jan 2018, 11:19 pm

I always fill up around 150, usually a good few under. Iow, I hardly ever go onto reserve. As good as never tbh. If I do it's because I've forgot to reset the trip and got all mixed up or something. So yes - the tap never really ever gets disturbed. Again it's perhaps one of those ironies - if I did actually use it on a semi-regular basis it would probably be working properly because it wouldn't have that annoying stuck issue going on. Btw I did find a very small amount of strange stuff in my float bowls - dark, gummy stuff. A kind of grease. I suppose it would've gradually got dissolved by fuel and washed through and burned, eventually. The diaphragms on both carbs and the petcock itself were in very good order. So it's not those components that have been leaking. Btw, the carb diaphragms can be a little bit fiddly to reseat.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Re: Special extended Christmas edition of knackered bike - now with added mystery

Post by skyrider on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 4:40 pm

Hi tm are you having anymore joy on the cb front
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 8:57 pm

The added mystery is killing me Smile

Hope you had some luck in fixing it!
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 6:48 pm

Bike only got recovered on Monday so not a lot to report. One thing though - the guy says now that it needs a float needle or some such carb part or other. But they aren't available. Apparently. So he's going to get some compressed air into stuff to blow any remaining sediment out and take it from there. Unless there's some bent valves or some catastrophic crap like that afoot I expect to get the bike back in a few days or early next week.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:57 pm

This float needle? Looks available to me...
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 12:51 pm

I thought I too had found the part - but was told no, wrong one. So bear with me - I think I may well be unclear on which part I require. 

I need to speak to the guy. 

brb

Last edited by trevor machine on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 1:04 pm

Okay - he's got a couple of carb rebuild kits now, Japanese made apparently. I asked him he gone to the Dutch CSM but he said neh m8. 

He'd tried yesterday to clean and make-do-and-mend - but the carbs filled and wouldn't stop so flooded over. Hence he's had to get a couple of kits. 

So let's see then - once the carbs are working properly it'll be a matter of seeing if any mechanical damage has been done. From what's been said in this thread and to me elsewhere, that seems hopeful that this won't be the case. I should find out tomorrow at any rate. 

cheers ET.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 4:20 pm

Now then. 

Good news and bad news. 

Good news is bike runs fine, no mechanical crap occurred, carbs have cleaned up okay. 

Bad news - fuel tap is still not working in the off position i.e. is allowing a small amount of fuel through. Therefore I need to obtain a fuel tap or else drill out the rivets on this one and see if anything untoward can be identified, and if so, whether it can be repaired. James has mentioned a Hornet tap he may have somewhere in his shed, but as he said, they work on a slightly different principle meaning that, basically, you have to switch the fuel off each time, or else the cb500's carbs will flood. 

The carbs have had new float valves fitted but please note - the seats are worn. This is not uncommon on various Hondas of this era, indeed even on the blue printed blades of the day it's definitely been known to happen. I have no idea what the cause of ware in the seats is but it happens, and it causes quite severe problems. A bank of four carbs for a blade's never going to be cheap. 

However, word is that the bike runs well now - but wants for a fuel tap, and in fact needs one because without it the plugs will wet up and then it won't ever fire up. So I need to find something and quite promptly too. I'm a little bit worried about using a non-vacuum type tap because I think I will forget to turn the fuel off after each ride. So I'm not quite sure what to do. Probably the only thing I can realistically do is try here and also see if any 500s are listed as breaking on eBay.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 5:29 pm

Second hand, but how about this one on Ebay.

Great news that it's running! Very Happy
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 7:15 pm

Damn - dunno how I missed that. Anyway...BOUGHT!!!  cheers

Nice one teamster. Much appreciated. ; - )
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 02 Feb 2018, 8:28 pm

Right. 

I'll try to keep this concise. 

I went out for a couple of hours today - dry roads everywhere. First time I've ridden the bike for, well, months I suppose. Having acclimatised to the zx9r it was weird to get back on the 500. 

For about five minutes. Then it was business as usual. First things first - the bike's running extremely well. It needed hardly any choke and was happy to crack on. The lack of baffle in the Fuel end-can made for a much louder soundtrack than the 9's stock titanium job. And the 500's straight-through exhaust egged me on a bit. Within a couple of miles I was thoroughly enjoying the bike and looking for any and every overtake. I had a right laugh. I'd put 34psi in before setting off, and the first thing I noticed was the abundance of feedback coming from everywhere - up through the forks, from the back tyre, all the buffeting over the headlight. Wow. At first I didn't know what to do with all this info and it almost seemed like the bike was dangerously unstable. It really wasn't though. Far from it. It was more than happy to do my bidding, and seemed to be in its element. 

In short, I had a right bloody laugh! Last week I swore I'd be selling the thing as soon as it was back on the road - half an hour into the first ride after repairs and I was thinking no way can I flog this bastard. It's so easy to ride, chuck around and thrash the knackers off that I'll have to keep it. My only thing with it is that I wouldn't want to be on it for more than a couple of hours or so. For me it feels like something I want to just blast around on for half an afternoon or so, rather than slog over to North Lincolnshire on, etc. 

Anyway - enough of that waffle. I need to say what's happened to the bike, and get this properly settled once and for all. 

My guy got the carbs off, fitted two new float valves and blasted some air hither and yon. This all did the trick and he had it running properly quite promptly thereafter. 

There is however a quite serious problem - as I said in a previous post, the seats have worn. Why? Because a part was missing from the petcock assembly. 

The tall tubular spout on the fuel tap should be surrounded by a fine wire gauze which acts as a form of filtration for any sediment that might be in the petrol. Without this, fine debris can find its way into the carbs and from there it's a short step to worn seats.

This whole thing goes back to a time 4 or 5 years ago when I crashed the bike and all but destroyed the tank. Dream Machine paint shop actually saved it, blew it out and painted it up very well. Except that in the process they must have mislaid the gauze filter.

And that, ladies and gentleman, is why my bike eventually became totally knackered.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 8:44 am

Good to know you're back on the road, and what caused the problem.

I shall be checking for my gauze today!
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 7:42 pm

I think it's worth doing, I really do. It's a cheap-ish part and easy to source (at least I think it is - it seemed to be when I checked the other day). My mechanic guy did NOT source and fit one though - instead he put a fuel filter between the tank and the carb. I was pissed off about this because as I said, the gauzes are available. Get one, fit one. And if you're worried about the price for all that, ring me, ask me, get my view, and go from there. I would've said fit the gauze - don't fucking chop my fuel line up and bodge in a filter thing. Do what Mr. Honda intended. I'm not a cheap shit pikey - well, okay I am. But I can still afford to repair my bikes properly - or pay for someone else to do it, at least. Don't fucking skrimp. Ring me, ask me - I'll say do it properly, I'll pay. Pisses me off. I've got to source it myself now, get the gauze, fit the gauze, and the O ring, take the shitty inline fuel filter off, and buy the right piece of fuel line to replace the cut into portion. F***ing hell.
tt fan
Godly
Godly

Post by tt fan on Sun 04 Feb 2018, 12:33 am

I know what you mean here mate, but at least you are rolling again..!!
Oafski
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Oafski on Sun 04 Feb 2018, 12:50 pm

Not all in line filters are rubbish. When I had my old R80RT in addition to the gauze filters in the taps I had a pair of inline filters which could be dismantled and cleaned but I cant for the life of me remember where they came from.
motofan
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by motofan on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 1:18 pm

Hi Trevor, enjoy your running bike! Don't worry about the inline filter, leave it, it won't do any harm! Do, however, asap refit the in-tank filter, why? It will stop crud blocking the diaphragm of the vacuum tap "open". If the carbs are supplied with petrol all the time then even if the float needles don't leak vapour will enter the engine via the downdraught of the carbs and condense in there over a long lay-up.
If you suspect your float needle seats to be damaged or worn try polishing them with some Brasso on a cotton bud or piece of wood with the same taper profile of the needles. Twiddle them back and forth like lapping valves, you don't want to make rings on the seats. The needles are viton tipped so the seats shouldn't need to be perfect.

Have fun! Dave.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 10:25 am

Thanks motofan. A few days before I read your post I actually watched someone on youtube loading their dremel with a cotton bud and some brasso and their carb's seat was like a mirror afterwards.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 13 Nov 2018, 12:06 am