Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Gear changes vs speed

fgclark123
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Gear changes vs speed

Post by fgclark123 on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 8:13 pm

What would you say re the best speeds on a flat road to shift up gears - say at a healthy 8k revs?

I owuld say,

1st to 2nd: 20mph
2nd-3rd: 50mph
3rd-4th: 70mph
4th-5th: 90mph
5th-6th: 100mph?

Now that I think about it, it's kind of hard to specify. I'm not sure I'd even want to change gear at 90mph...
Jameshambleton

Re: Gear changes vs speed

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 9:44 pm

Fixed it for you Wink and I use shorter gearing than stock
1st to 2nd: 42mph
2nd-3rd: 65mph
3rd-4th: 80mph
4th-5th: 94mph
5th-6th: 105mph
fgclark123
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by fgclark123 on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 10:28 pm

That is interesting, thanks. I have the stock gears, but your figures seem closer the mark. I personally dislike buzzing 10k rpm over everyone in a 2 mile radius, so I tend to hold lower revs/higher gears generally.

I ask as I was just on a motorway, and I found it terrifying trying to hoik up a gear at 80+ mph. I would ideally like to sit in 6th from about 70mph onwards - I just find it so destabilising on a bike without faring, just changing gear at speed!

Is this just inexperience talking, or is anyone else very reluctant to make white knuckle gear changes at speed?

thanks
tt fan
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by tt fan on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 11:58 pm

I go by the engine noise rather than speedo on mine - maybe i am getting old but i prefer to treat it with some mechanical sympathy than rev it out in every gear. About changing into top at motorway speeds - this should not upset the bike at all, but if you are a new rider take your time to build confidence. Concentrate on what is ahead (and behind) you and the gear changes will soon become second nature
Fair Weather Rider
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Fair Weather Rider on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 9:23 am

I am really fast, I'm in Top gear at 55. Very Happy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 06 Dec 2017, 7:20 pm

I've really no idea at what speed I change gear. I do it when I feel like it Smile I'm pretty sure that it varies depending on how much I'm accelerating: if 'ragging it' then it's best to keep it above 7k RPM (or so) in the 'CB500 powerband' Wink

More normally I probably change up at a more relaxed RPM - as long as you keep the revs high enough that it doesn't struggle or bog-down then there is no problem with changing up as you feel.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 06 Dec 2017, 7:36 pm

GollyGosh
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by GollyGosh on Wed 06 Dec 2017, 8:30 pm

"What gear were you in ?" he asked

"The gear I normally wear, Helmet, leathers..." was the reply
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 06 Dec 2017, 8:34 pm

that's just to be on the safe side Laughing
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 09 Dec 2017, 8:15 pm

Think I'll go with an answer similar to ET's. Depending on situation and not feeling the need to stress the engine unnecessarily.
If you look at the engine's torque/power curve, this would also offer a hint to sensible shifting revs.
To me, the party happens around 8k. So, if I'm craving for a party, I go there. Otherwise I don't. And I rarely go beyond 10k, simply because it's past max-torque.

On white-knuckle-shifting at speed: Not needed. Shifts 4->5 and 5->6 will happen with zero drama and without the use of clutch if you momentarily let go of the throttle as you operate the lever. And it gets easier the faster you go. For the tech-curious, googling for 'dog box' will yield interesting info.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:21 am